Author Topic: soupy's lowerin kit & kickstand length  (Read 375 times)

Offline steve

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
soupy's lowerin kit & kickstand length
« on: November 12, 2017, 02:13:02 pm »
I'm lowering my 06 c10 4 inches with the soupy's kit can anyone tell me how much to shorten my side and center stands after installation,  I'm an avid welder an feel this is well within my ability if I know the proper lengths?   Thanx in advance ...

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: soupy's lowerin kit & kickstand length
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
Is 4” even possible/reasonable? Can you get that much lowering out of the forks too so it remains level?

I think I dropped my 2” initially, and now reverted to 1” because it caused clearance issues with speedbumps and such. At 2”, the forks could just barelt even the bike out when I slid them through the clamps.

For 2”, I chopped about 1” out of the kickstand and it worked well. Didn’t bother with the center stand, just ride up on a 2x4 to make it easier. But I’d hazard a guess that you would remove as much from the center stand as you lowered the bike (so 2” lower, remove 2” from centerstand). But I could be wrong.

Offline steve

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:45:31 pm »
Soupy's sells 4 inch lowering kits, I emailed them and ask the same thing, they assured me you can safely lower a Connie 4" without problems, I plan on lowering the front forks an inch thats what I'm reading on all the forums....when the kit comes I'm going to lower it an inch at the time until I can put both feet flat when I'm stopped,  at 5'8" not sure how much that'll be, but hoping a couple of inches will do it.

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:43:31 pm »
Make sure your front fender doesn't collide with the underside of the fairing once you lower the front end to the point YOU are comfortable with firm foot placement. I seriously doubt you'll achieve anything close to 4" without issues. The side stand is going to be by trial and error due to the angles involved AND how much the 4" kit in the back is going to fook with the overall suspension geometry.

I just modified a fella's Tiger centerstand by the same amount his lowering kit was advertised as being (~1.00"). Seemed to work out well. Sidestand was no issue.

I also cut down my own KLR's centerstand by the 1-1/2" of my lowering kit. That seemed to work out well too, but with no footpad for leverage, it's still a PITA to get up in the air. May add one later. My sidestand has a foot that's adjustable. The bike's attitude changes depending on how much camping gear I have crammed in the panniers and strapped on the back. I leave it positioned so the bike doesn't fall over on it's own.

Also, it both cases I turned down sleeves to slip firmly in the stand's cut sections before I welded them up (the customer's and my own).  Makes for a much more solid finished piece.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:28 pm »
Soupy's sells 4 inch lowering kits, I emailed them and ask the same thing, they assured me you can safely lower a Connie 4" without problems, I plan on lowering the front forks an inch thats what I'm reading on all the forums....when the kit comes I'm going to lower it an inch at the time until I can put both feet flat when I'm stopped,  at 5'8" not sure how much that'll be, but hoping a couple of inches will do it.

You lower the back 4” and the front 1”, it’s going to steer more slowly and your headlight will need re-aiming. Just FYI.

I’m 5’9” (barely). 1” makes a BIG difference for me. You may be surprised. Try them at 1” first.

Keep in mind when moving the forks up the clamps - 1” in the forks is going to be LESS than 1” vertically (forks being the hypotenuse of a triangle). IIRC, 2” in my forks got me about 1.5” vertical (but don’t hold me to that - measure yours before you move the forks and after).

Offline steve

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:15 pm »
Thanx connieklr & jim bob for ur help, I traded a guy a 99 shadow 1100 with 25k miles for an 06 connie with 15k straight up even trade.  He said the connie was to tall for him,  not sure if he knew about lowering kits or not but he liked the Shadow so we done the deal.  I'm 63 n prob had 40 bikes in my yrs of every kind and model out there.  So far I love the connie n can ride it like it is but do want it dwn to where I can flat foot it .
THANX AGAIN TO ALL WHO OFFERED INPUT N HELP...

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 02:21:03 am »
Steve, I'm also 5'-8" / 30" inseam / 65 yrs young..
I'm pretty certain that the Center Stand will not work with the Soupy's.
I doubt that 4" is possible?? If so, I really think that 4" is too much.

I lowered mine 2" and I was able to flat foot it.
 But it felt too low, so I went back to stock height. (which was a bit high for me)
 So I slid the fork tubes up 1" and dropped the rear pressure.

I suggest you lower your front 1", then lower your rear air pressure to about 25-30 psi and give it a try.
Might feel a lot better to you.

An easy way to lower the Connie rear is Norm Soucy's Lowering Rocker.
EZ bolt on..
If interested, I can find you a way to contact him.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:42:34 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:28:22 am »
Steve I have a 30" inseam and when my Connie was stock I couldn't flat foot it. I got used to being on tipsy toes or flat footing on one side at stop lights. The worst part was trying to back it up when parked on a slight down grade so I had to select good parking strategies.
If you are buying Soupys adjustable links you have to stay with the stock rear shock. Four inches might be the max range on the adjustable link and I suggest you only lower it till you feel comfortable. Thicker soled boots, customizing the seat by shaving the sides inboard or other options too as the lower you go you are going to grind some parts when laying the bike into turns.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Herb

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12023
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:25 pm »
Steve. I'm 5'-8" with 28" inseam and I installed a new set of Soupy's lowering links on my '05 C10 three years ago when I purchased it so that I could flat foot it when stopped.

I can tell you that the center-stand WILL work and that without changing the as-delivered length of the links, my bike lowered 1-3/4" (measured from the center of the axle to the center of the rear front antler bolt where 15-1/2" is stock) which was perfect for me with riding boots on. There is a bit of scraping if cornered too aggressively.  :)

I didn't change my side-stand and it's fine on a level to slightly sloped surface. I need to ride up on a 2x8 to be able to heave it up on the center-stand.

I didn't lower my forks as I don't feel the handling is compromised for the riding I do but I did place a zip-tie around one of the upper tubes to check the travel of the forks. I just looked at the present position which is 1" below the triple-tree so I wouldn't lower my forks from the stock position.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:56:48 pm »
Thanks Herb.
I had been told the Soupy's links wouldn't work with the stand.
As your already using them, I stand corrected. (Salute!)

Steve, on the side stand (after lowering the bike), you can heat it and bend it out slightly (just below the spring perch).
This will allow the bike to lean more, and can be bent back if you change your mind.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:43:38 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:34:59 pm »
Steve - please come back and post your progress - what you did, how it worked, how ride height changed, etc. It’s always good for us to get a new set of eyes and perspective on mods!

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:12 pm »
Well yall done done it now I was reading this last night and ordered a set of lowering links Ill tell SWMBO its something for Christmas For her Yeah thats the ticket  :)
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 04:16:44 am »
Heat the sidestand with a torch... AFTER you 'swing' it several times first; visualizing where and how much you can bend it and still allow it to be in the UP position without any frame/muffler interference. Ask me how I know... (NOT a good story.) Locomotiveman
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:30:08 pm »
Thanks Loco,,, good point!
When I did mine, I had no ill effect.
After re-raising the bike, I heated and straightened it back to stock.
  Again, no ill effect. (Apparently the multiple heating and tweaking, didn't weaken the metal)

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)