Author Topic: sp-OIL-er Alert  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: sp-OIL-er Alert
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:14 pm »
Sorry was gonna put it on last night but could not find the key to my storage shed, dang kids!!! I have my cherry picker in there and I was gonna use that to lift the back of the bike up to make it easy to get the wheel out and back in, but now gonna wait till this coming weekend and do it, either I will find the key of have a buddy come over and lend me had to hold the bike while it's on the jack.

I have seen a picture of this tire on a C10 and I don't think there will be any need to modify anything, but will find out and let yall know.....not sure how to put up pics since photobucket got greedy but will take them anyway.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 03:42:06 am »
Rpm dropped 500 at cruise speed so now turning 4500 at 80, and only 3000 at 55.

Tire was easy to swap out but did require some minor  clearancing at the front corners of the swing arm, thought I had enough but while riding it left a small mark on the left outer edge of the tire so just went back in and did a little more grinding so should be good now I hope. I would rather try a couple times and take a litte at a time, the tire is fine and the rub spot will wear away quickly.

First impressions I love it, really did not feel a big differance at all, runs smooth and steady with no lip roll or harsh transition at all. Think I made the right choice for me.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »
I made my choice, Castrol Actevo X-TRA Semi-Synthetic 4T Engine Oil 20w50 and a K&N oil filter. On order from Revzilla so be changing it next week.

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 05:10:13 pm »
Rpm dropped 500 at cruise speed so now turning 4500 at 80, and only 3000 at 55.

Tire was easy to swap out but did require some minor  clearancing at the front corners of the swing arm, thought I had enough but while riding it left a small mark on the left outer edge of the tire so just went back in and did a little more grinding so should be good now I hope. I would rather try a couple times and take a litte at a time, the tire is fine and the rub spot will wear away quickly.

First impressions I love it, really did not feel a big differance at all, runs smooth and steady with no lip roll or harsh transition at all. Think I made the right choice for me.

What air pressure did you put in it and can you post some pics?  I'd like to see how the clearances around the swingarm are.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
I made my choice, Castrol Actevo X-TRA Semi-Synthetic 4T Engine Oil 20w50 and a K&N oil filter. On order from Revzilla so be changing it next week.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I can't believe you decided to go with THAT!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
North Carolina AAD

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »
What air pressure did you put in it and can you post some pics?  I'd like to see how the clearances around the swingarm are.

Right now I am running 38.5, max pressure on this tire is 55 but will try a few different pressures till I find what I like. As for pics I sent you a PM. Photobucket has screwed us, and I have not had time to find a free replacement or figure out how to use one yet.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 05:38:43 pm »
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I can't believe you decided to go with THAT!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Well I have had good luck with Castrol, used in all my engines for long time. I used it in a ATV i desert raced and I screwed up at the first ever race I did and when I changed the oil the night before I did not tighten the drain bolt. Well it came out about 2 miles into a 25 mile loop, that is when I noticed my foot kept slipping off the peg but didn't know why at the time. Finished the loop hit the pit and fueled up and took off again, only made it about 5 miles and it shut down on me. I figured out what happened put a plug back in and put new oil in it just to try and fire it up and it ran fine, pulled the cam cover off and found some bad scoring on it so had to put a new cam in but after that ran it 2 more seasons with only regular maintenance, no clutch issues or problems at all. When I tore it down to bore it out and stroke it for more CC's and speed all the bearings looked great.

After all that I was sold on Castrol, but that is just my experience to date.

Online Bud

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 05:44:07 pm »
Photobucket has screwed us, and I have not had time to find a free replacement or figure out how to use one yet.

Just click on attachments and other options and attach a pic just like you would if you were emailing it to someone.  Easy peasy. :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 10:43:32 pm »

I don't think you will have any issue...whatsoever..... :great:

I've got 5 qts of RS 4T, 10/40 and same filter (well, kn 303 for my C14) sitting on the seat of my bike right now, waiting for me to use....

Only issue I see,.is being patiant for 10k miles, to see the results... I will change a filter after 6k, for examination, and giggles....
Have a great ride...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11820
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 04:02:46 am »
I cannot imagine putting a car tire on a bike.  If you don't enjoy the curves enough that a pre-flat-spotted tire tire sounds like a good idea, you might as well take the car.
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:25 pm »
Didn't say I don't enjoy them, just said I don't hit them all hard or scrape pegs.

After about 300 miles on it so far it actually handles about the same as the E4 I took off, it seems to have better grip for sure, but the feel is really close in curves and lean. It has no harsh transition at all feels just as smooth as the Dunlop, not saying it's for everybody but it sure works for me and ho I ride.

I know it's no use and I am not even trying to convert anyone just giving my experience with it for those who may be interested. Heck there are people out there who still buy and drive Fords!!!

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 03:40:14 pm »
...... Heck there are people out there who still buy and drive Fords!!!

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
North Carolina AAD

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »
...... Heck there are people out there who still buy and drive Fords!!!

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I know right!! At least I am not totally crazy I have always driven Chevy's :great:

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 02:26:11 am »
I'm gonna give the car tire a try as well. I'll get a post up when I do. I've ridden a Goldwing with a CT set up and it was fine.
-Jake

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10670
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 09:42:19 am »

Now with the afore mentioned knowledge I have a crazy plan, sort of at least to some possibly, I am putting a car tire on the bike to get the mileage I want and since I need a new one before my upcoming trip.

Nobody asked, so I'll stick my virtual hand up first: Assuming a car tire would fit, why would you think this would be some sort of advantage? 

The sidewalls of car tires are designed to keep the tire vertical.  Turning at speed in a car actually turns the tire into the corner, whereas a motorcycle tire changes the angle of the tire into the corner.  It's for these reasons, motorcycle tires are designed with the tread wrapped around the edges of the tire to account for cornering.  Trying to lean a car tire would significantly reduce the contact patch to the pavement as you try to force the tire to lean, essentially tipping the horizontal patch up on it's edge.  With a car tire, not only would you lose your ability to quickly corner in avoidance situations, any sort of corner would require a great deal of extra effort to lean the bike.  (which is how you corner)

If you've ever watched drag racing motorcycles, they use essentially special automotive racing slicks to go in a straight line, keeping the bike vertical down the track.  Watch when they get to the end of the track to turn into the finish area.  The rider has to lean their body WAY over to get the bike to turn.  I wouldn't think that would be conducive, let alone safe, in normal street riding.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 07:00:17 pm »
 :rotflmao: :-X :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorncouple: :popcorn:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 01:45:21 am »

Now with the afore mentioned knowledge I have a crazy plan, sort of at least to some possibly, I am putting a car tire on the bike to get the mileage I want and since I need a new one before my upcoming trip.

Nobody asked, so I'll stick my virtual hand up first: Assuming a car tire would fit, why would you think this would be some sort of advantage? 

The sidewalls of car tires are designed to keep the tire vertical.  Turning at speed in a car actually turns the tire into the corner, whereas a motorcycle tire changes the angle of the tire into the corner.  It's for these reasons, motorcycle tires are designed with the tread wrapped around the edges of the tire to account for cornering.  Trying to lean a car tire would significantly reduce the contact patch to the pavement as you try to force the tire to lean, essentially tipping the horizontal patch up on it's edge.  With a car tire, not only would you lose your ability to quickly corner in avoidance situations, any sort of corner would require a great deal of extra effort to lean the bike.  (which is how you corner)

If you've ever watched drag racing motorcycles, they use essentially special automotive racing slicks to go in a straight line, keeping the bike vertical down the track.  Watch when they get to the end of the track to turn into the finish area.  The rider has to lean their body WAY over to get the bike to turn.  I wouldn't think that would be conducive, let alone safe, in normal street riding.

Cause I am just batshit crazy. I wont argue the physics and such, that has been done to death and I am not a tire expert anyway. But I can say it works just fine, have ridden thousands of miles on the wing with one and have a little over 400 miles with the C10 on a car tire and it performs perfectly so far.

Not sure on Avg MPGs yet but last 2 tanks of riding were 43.11 and 42.66 MPG so in fact it seems to have improved by about 2mpg by reducing the RPM . So far this is a big win.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:54:52 am by Warwgn »

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 02:37:32 am »
Using car tires on motorcycles is known as "going to the dark side".  Over on www.stromtrooper.com it is a very common thread/discussion.  Many, many people do it for years and man thousands of miles on many types of bikes with great success.  I have no opinion as I have not tried it, but it is evidently not the instant death that some people predict.

I recently sold my old 1990 Toyota 4x4 truck with the 3.0 V6 engine that went 361,000 miles (and still going string) on Castrol GTX straight 30 wt. year-round, changed every 3,000 miles (+/- 1000 or so). I had the valve covers off at around 280,000 to change out the gaskets and the cams looked like they had just been polished,  absolutely no wear evident there.

You results will vary.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2017, 09:51:10 am »

Cause I am just batshit crazy. I wont argue the physics and such, that has been done to death and I am not a tire expert anyway. But I can say it works just fine, have ridden thousands of miles on the wing with one and have a little over 400 miles with the C10 on a car tire and it performs perfectly so far.

Not sure on Avg MPGs yet but last 2 tanks of riding were 43.11 and 42.66 MPG so in fact it seems to have improved by about 2mpg by reducing the RPM . So far this is a big win.

Depending on how you ride and at what speed, your mileage numbers seem to be pretty typical with what these bikes run.  I'm still not clear as to the goal of operating your bike with a tire type other than what a motorcycle would use.  Is it mainly an attempt to get better fuel economy?  Longer tire longevity?  Using a less expensive tire?  Cheating the Grim Reaper?

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:50 am »
main goal is longer tire life,  and and better ride quality. I ride daily to commute so go through tires fast, I average 30 to 40K miles a year and when I decide to take a trip it sucks when I have to change a tire before its done because it wont last for a trip. I do a ton of slab riding, prolly 90% of my riding so believe it or not the car tire rides better. As for milage I average 40 over all, but now will average 42 I think so just a bonus. Purchase price is about the same $180 delivered with balance beads included, but this should last about 3 motorcycle tires worth so comes out way cheaper. Better traction in all conditions and can be patched or pluged if I pick up a nail without any worry.

For me and how I ride, and what I want and like this is the perfect tire.

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:23 pm »
Interesting.  Would you be able to post some photos of the installation?  Not that I'd personally even consider trying this, I am interested in how all the clearances worked.

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 12:48:34 pm »
I will try again, I did from my phone but would not let me so will put them on my computer and tray later today. It is tight and required some grinding on the swingarm at the front edge on the left and right but not much.

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
here's some that WW sent to me....
North Carolina AAD

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2017, 01:55:42 pm »
more
North Carolina AAD

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2017, 02:04:43 pm »
that's awesome thank you!!

I the shiny spots on the swing arm is the only places that needed clearance, I did go in for a second round of grinding as I didn't take enough off the first time to allow for tire growth at highway speed. As you can imagine it did not require much additional at all.

The tire went on the stock rim with no issues and goes in place without having to air down or anything, and there really is no difference in the feel when leaning, smooth from upright to full normal lean and input to make it lean is exactly the same as it was before.