Author Topic: sp-OIL-er Alert  (Read 1702 times)

Online Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: sp-OIL-er Alert
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »
Dang dog!!!!! >:(

Well had a bit of back issues during the process of putting on my new wind deflector so once complete I did not clean up the garage and left the box of stuff on the floor. Later that night went out to take the bike off the center stand and pull it forward so I could put the door down and noticed the box on it's side. I figured the kids knocked it over to get the large bubble cushions out to pop them since those were gone, then looked closer and noticed my new oil filter was not in the box. Looked around to no avail and then thought about the dog so looked in the yard and see torn up box and plastic so walked over and yep K&N oil filter nawed on and in the dirt, both O-rings chewed in half.....Dog is still alive but only because my back was hurting.

So the oil change will have to wait a few days for the new filter to come in.......

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2017, 09:48:18 pm »
Dang dog!!!!! >:(

Well had a bit of back issues during the process of putting on my new wind deflector so once complete I did not clean up the garage and left the box of stuff on the floor. Later that night went out to take the bike off the center stand and pull it forward so I could put the door down and noticed the box on it's side. I figured the kids knocked it over to get the large bubble cushions out to pop them since those were gone, then looked closer and noticed my new oil filter was not in the box. Looked around to no avail and then thought about the dog so looked in the yard and see torn up box and plastic so walked over and yep K&N oil filter nawed on and in the dirt, both O-rings chewed in half.....Dog is still alive but only because my back was hurting.

So the oil change will have to wait a few days for the new filter to come in.......

Yea sure, the dog ate your o-rings. They'll never buy that excuse. ;D
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1983 Suzuki GS750ED-The Project

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:51 pm »
I have a two year old at home that does the same thing!   :D :D :D
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11233
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2017, 06:05:33 pm »

Dog?

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
...PICS...

The height is a lot different, but I expected the car tire to have "squarer" edges...   Doesn't look as bad profile-wise as I thought it would...

Jamie

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 04:51:33 pm »
WIX filter found at most Napa stores and Shell Rotella 15W40 you'r out $25.00

Regarding the car tire HD guys have been doing that since the beginning of time with no problems.

Oh and a Dunlop 401 rear can be had for under $100.00

Happy trails man have fun stay safe.
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2017, 07:16:52 pm »

Dog?

no....granddaughter.   :))
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Online Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2017, 04:58:38 pm »
Anybody want a free dog??

Got my 3rd qt of oil and my new filter and a pair of Sidi boots, UPS delivered before I got home and the dog opened the box with the oil in it and had it laying in the yard, luckily the bottle was not punctured. I guess she got bored with it and started to try and open the big box with the filter and boots but only got a corner torn off. Guess I better put a box on the porch for packages to keep the dog out of stuff.

Have to send the boots back cause the don't fit, I wear a 10.5 or 11 most of the time but seems I need an 11.5 in Sidi. Already ordered a new pair so hope they come in before my trip next weekend, and now at least I can change the oil this weekend.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »
Anybody want a free dog??

Got my 3rd qt of oil and my new filter and a pair of Sidi boots, UPS delivered before I got home and the dog opened the box with the oil in it and had it laying in the yard, luckily the bottle was not punctured. I guess she got bored with it and started to try and open the big box with the filter and boots but only got a corner torn off. Guess I better put a box on the porch for packages to keep the dog out of stuff.

Have to send the boots back cause the don't fit, I wear a 10.5 or 11 most of the time but seems I need an 11.5 in Sidi. Already ordered a new pair so hope they come in before my trip next weekend, and now at least I can change the oil this weekend.

Gotta lova an inquisitive dog...... :nananana: :rotflmao:
About 15 years ago, when my dog was an overgrown puppy..(.like almost a year old), I ordered some really nice gortex slip on boots from Sportsmans Guide...
Most comfortable boots I ever had... and super deal on price.... got to wear them 4 days... and woke up hearing the dog "horking" up something.... yep... shey ate almost half the left boot.... sweeet... now I have one perfect boot, and 1/4 of a not perfect one....  because I liked the boots soo much, and price was sooooo low... I ordered 2 pairs more.... and tossed the good boot in the closet....  also never left those boots where puppy could chew them again... damned beagle/springer mix dog....  about 2 monthes later, out on a ride, on my KZ, I encounterd some sand in a bad section of road, and "dabbed my right foot" down to prevent going horizontal... man that hurt, and I had ripped the sole clean off that boot... when I got home, and iced up my ankle, I started laughing and remembered I had a spare boot... and asked my wife to grab it outta the closet......
 :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[ :truce:

She looked at me, and I knew what she was going to say before she opened her mouth...."I tossed that out last week, couldn't see any reason to save it....."

DOHHHHHHHHHH :-X

Lesson learned.... :rotflmao:
When I bought my M2R gortex MC boots from Iron Pony, on clearance... the day I got them and found I reallllly liked them, I ordered a second pair...
When she started squawking about them when they arrived, all I had to do was give her the "stink eye", and that was done....

Now she buys 2 pairs whenever she finds comfy shoes....also. :beerchug: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 02:59:32 pm »
Great Story Man Of Blues :beerchug:

Well got the oil changed and dumped in the 3 qts of 20w50, now the engine barley turns over and I cant get it to go above 800RPM :nananana:

Got about 200 miles on it so far and runs like a champ, cant hear any difference or feel any difference so I guess time will tell. Actually just what I expected, however I think for the next couple months it will do the engine good until the temps cool down and at that point I will swap down to 10w40.

Good news with the tire though, being taller and the subsequent drop in RPM's at cruising speed I have not had a tank of gas under 41MPG, I am thinking after this trip I will be safe to say my MPG's went up by 2-3 for the average. Looking forward to my 18hr ride on Friday!!!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 08:34:32 pm »
Great Story Man Of Blues :beerchug:

Well got the oil changed and dumped in the 3 qts of 20w50, now the engine barley turns over and I cant get it to go above 800RPM :nananana:

Got about 200 miles on it so far and runs like a champ, cant hear any difference or feel any difference so I guess time will tell. Actually just what I expected, however I think for the next couple months it will do the engine good until the temps cool down and at that point I will swap down to 10w40.

Good news with the tire though, being taller and the subsequent drop in RPM's at cruising speed I have not had a tank of gas under 41MPG, I am thinking after this trip I will be safe to say my MPG's went up by 2-3 for the average. Looking forward to my 18hr ride on Friday!!!

Just run that oil and don't worry about it for 8k miles...where you live, that 20w ain't a big deal.... seriously....

But.....
Put the bike on the centerstand, let it sit overnight, and look at the sightglass... then add the additional 5.5 fluid oz. It needs... to be correct, and bring it to the middle of the window... just saying....
 ;)
That's based on completely draining using both drain bolts, and a new filter... by the way.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online Warwgn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 03:12:35 pm »
Trip was 2667 miles, and have to sat the tire performed absolutely flawless, up hill down hill dirt road wet dry, straight or mountain curves it just worked perfect.

The oil was still sitting at the same level as when I left and never had a single issue with shifts or clutch feel. I think I am calling this experiment a success.