Author Topic: 05 c10 light converstion from standard to LED  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Ron

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12564
  • Membership Level: Active
05 c10 light converstion from standard to LED
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:11:46 am »
Looking to make the conversion from regular bulbs to LED Need to know what bulbs are 1157 or 1156 and what goes where.  any suggestions?

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 05 c10 light converstion from standard to LED
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:06:21 pm »
I know a lot of people do it...I did it, and it was a waste of time and money. I got *good* LEDs too. I researched and found them, installed a proper electronic flasher unit, and ended up going to incandescent.

1157 is dual filament, and 1156 is single filament. So, 1157 in front turns, and brake light. 1156 in rear turns.

I do have LED tail lights in from ebay, but only because they have the built in flasher for 3 seconds, then steady burn.

H4 for the front headlight...lots of people do LED headlights. I did, it's Meh. HID is better, but a bit more complicated and more wires to hide.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »
Make sure you use LEDs that are the same color as the lens you are putting them behind.

Brake lights and front turn signals use 1157.  Rear turn signals are 1156. 

You'll also need to change the turn signal relay to keep the flash rate normal.  (less than $12 for an LED compatible relay)

Headlight is H4 and there are some very good LED replacements for those now.

You'll probably have to try several different LEDs in the various locations until you find ones suitable for your needs.  I've tried a few different ones to replace my brake lights.  Some of them seem bright on their own, but don't light up the lens as well when installed.  Fortunately, since they're all in pairs, you can install one and compare it to the original bulb you are replacing. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »
H4 for the front headlight...lots of people do LED headlights. I did, it's Meh. HID is better, but a bit more complicated and more wires to hide.
Depends on the LED unit.  I've had a couple of "meh" ones and a couple that were equivalent or better than HID.  (Better meaning less glare for oncoming drivers - but still excellent light.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:48:13 pm »
If you can't find a bright enough 1157 for your brake lights, check out the Honda car bulb replacements.

Honda Car 34906-SL0-A01 43/3W (P3496)

Standard 1157 is ~ 28 watts.  I've been running the 43 watt (high element) for my brake lights several years.  There is a noticeable difference.  Was a little concerned about the extra 1 amp each bulb will draw but had not problems.  I've since added an second brake light under my luggage rack and now run everything through a general purpose relay I picked up at O'Reily's for about $7 (30 amp).  It gets peoples attention.

Offline mgoodrich

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 4466
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:33:36 pm »
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/motorcycle-led-bulbs/

They also use to sell just the led's (on the ~ 2 inch in Diameter pcb) without the 1157 base, and just a pig tale wires for + and -.  I bought 3 of those, mounted them on a plexi-glass strip and put that into my tail light back in 2006.  Very bright and still going ok. I can't find that product on their web site presently.

Don't know how well the 1157 replacement led light would work, but would think it should be ok.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
I can tell you which LED 1157's NOT to buy.  Totally worthless for riding in traffic.  I doubt if anyone could see them during the day, and at night there was little/no difference between the low and high brightness.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 05:08:30 pm »
My '05 has only aftermarket LED 'Foglights' for now. This Forum got me inclined to not get too excited about LED. A Headlight bulb change from OEM is a whole 'nuther matter, so I encourage you to do a SEARCH on that topic too. Good luck
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:13 am »
I can tell you which LED 1157's NOT to buy.  Totally worthless for riding in traffic.  I doubt if anyone could see them during the day, and at night there was little/no difference between the low and high brightness.
Hmm.  I have ones that look like that in my bike presently.  But mine have a noticeable difference in brightness, and are as bright as the stock incandescent bulbs.  Still searching for something LED that's brighter once installed.  Have had a few that looked brighter, but once installed weren't really.  Focal point was wrong for the reflector. 

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 11:30:49 am »
I purchased these LED's on the recommendation from someone on this site who also said they were very good.  Maybe the ones I received were defective or knock-offs because they are nowhere near as bright as the standard 1157.  Since I still have plenty of electrical load margin, I'll just stick with the 43W, P3496 for now.

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:23:45 pm »
I purchased these LED's on the recommendation from someone on this site who also said they were very good.  Maybe the ones I received were defective or knock-offs because they are nowhere near as bright as the standard 1157.  Since I still have plenty of electrical load margin, I'll just stick with the 43W, P3496 for now.
That "someone on this site" was probably me.   :-[

Offline JPD

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:25:25 am »
Go to accessories c-10 led bulbs started by big ed. There is a list of all the bulbs you need. The WCCC brake and front turn signal are expensive but they are bright.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 11:27:30 am »
That "someone on this site" was probably me.   :-[

No problem. :great:  From your description of how yours work, mine must have been defective.