Author Topic: Torque specs and use of locking agents  (Read 423 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Torque specs and use of locking agents
« on: November 13, 2018, 03:42:26 pm »
I always figured that the guys that designed these bikes and wrote the specs for it know a lot more than me about them. Therefore I always follow torque specs, use of locking agents, (loc-tite or other such info) and so on.

I have the Service Manual. It is well used. I do all my own work on my bike. I just put brand new rotors/pads on my 2000 Concours with 97k on it. My rotors were below the spec limit on thickness.

In the service manual it tells me the torque spec for the rotor bolts, both front and rear. It does not tell me to use a locking agent. In some places and items, the manual does specifically say to use a locking agent. I follow the manual and torque to spec. I did not use a locking agent.....the engineers that designed it found it not necessary. I say that because it doesn't call for it on the rotor bolts in the Service Manual. Is the manual wrong?

I have read in this forum about using a locking agent where the service manual does not call to use it. I get the "better safe than sorry' approach but at what point does that become using locking agents on all fasteners?

I have checked my rotor bolts...still at torque spec after 500 miles.

Input?

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Torque specs and use of locking agents
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:28:09 pm »
  We have a lot of really good knowledge on this forum. If I was a betting man SiSF (Steve in Sunny Florida)   would know but there are a lot of really good members with the knowledge on this forum. Man of Blues knows stuff too and he likes me to mention his name!!!  :beerchug:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:59:12 pm »
Ya that's true about MOB. Just look at the bolt, nut or stud you just removed.
If you see dried locking agent, the factory must have felt it necessary. Maw Kawasaki
doesn't spend any money if it is not necessary.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »
Locking agents are sometimes over used, but in this case, they really are not called out for as you note, as when needed, they are specified in each "exploded view" in the service manual, per assembly in the first pages of that section, and also the applied torques; along with other notations such as grease, sealants, etc.,

I attached an exploded view page to show this below. This was from a GEN I C10 book, and I didn't check the updates for the other Generation, Gen II.

Now on the C14, many places bolts had "pre applied" locking agents, and those specific bolts are noted as such as "replace when servicing", even tho careful cleaning of the threads to remove the old agent, and re-applying a new "drop" of "NON Permanent" agent will suffice, but never use the Permanent goop anywhere...

I think both SISF and I myself have mentioned quite a few times, on "nuisance bolts", that seem to commonly come loose, and application of simple Black RTV to the threads does a great job to help minimize them loosening, but offers no difficulty downstream when the bolt really needs to be removed. When using the RTV, do take in mind it effects torque on the bolts installation, and does act as  a lubricant, so wisely reducing the installation torque on any bolt installed like that by about 15% below MAX, is wise... to prevent over torquing; But bolts used with nuts  (bolt/washer/lockwasher/nut) that are steel, can be torqued to the correct spec.

hope that helps. :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:01:33 pm »
Thx MOB and others.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:55:12 pm »
Just beware if you find red locking agent on a bolt, Kawasaki's red is equivalent to blue loctite.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
  • Maintain it for 120 drive it like I'm 70
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • COG#: 12454
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:43 am »
I'd say make sure you have the spray brake parts cleaner and consider one drop of medium strength lock tight, carefully and systematically for all the brake bolts that do not have a lock washer.

For spark plugs and wherever a steel fastener is screwed into an aluminium casting, like the timing mark cover plate on the left side of the engine, I use a light coating of copper anti-sieze.  I apply anti-sieze where a bolt is exposed to water or coolant.

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 01:55:43 am »
The Service Manual is a valuable reference.  For things I never 'touched' before, I'll
torque to spec.  However, there are things (like the C10's valve adjust locking nut) that I have
reassigned new torque values to, due to forum recommendation, and some bolts just work
well when tightened "good 'n tight".

As I've worked on the bike more and more, the 'feel' for certain things has replaced
torque values.

If Ma Kaw recommends a thread locker or sealant, I do, they have a reason...  right?   :??:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline bajasam

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
im sure they do, but you will not really hurt anything by using a little blue loctite. unless someone is putting on a cyl head or doing rod bolts or main bearing caps you'll rarely see a mechanic using a torque wrench,after a few years its all in the feel,if your new to wrenching just be careful with steel fasteners into aluminum threads