Author Topic: Speedo  (Read 350 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12886
  • Membership Level: Active
Speedo
« on: November 15, 2018, 03:43:37 am »
Have the front wheel off in order to put new rubbers on her. Looking down where the speedometer housing attached I saw the following picture. Is that about what it should be? Should I clean it out? Reapply grease? The mix of black and brass color concerns me. Is the black just grime, or is it a seal? Just don't wanna start digging around and accidentally mess something up, but figured since I already have the wheel off, I should get to it now rather than later. Looked in the shop manual and it didn't really say much.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jb9yNhod4SAsvBmR9
It all started on a 250...

Offline Captsparrow

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Speedo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 04:34:02 am »
Looks like dirt mate. Also, it looks like the outer bearing has taken a beating what I can see on the bottom where the axle goes.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 09:21:46 am »
No harm in cleaning it up. Not sure if the previous owner was a fan of over lubricating with grease.
The important thing is when you put it back in the wheel that there are tabs on the speedo housing that have to line up to the wheel. Others have not assured that these are lined up and when installing the wheel have bent the tabs that wherent lined up.

FYI, Most replace the wheel bearings every other tire change but others have never changed them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:42:33 am by Bob_C_CT »
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline bajasam

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:32:06 pm »
definately clean and regrease everytime you pull the wheel, i also pop the outside seal off the bearing with a boxcutter blade and fill with fresh grease.i bought bearings that when brand new and when i look inside there's only the equivalent of about 3 grains of rice in grease,some times their full but its worth checking.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
No harm in cleaning it up. Not sure if the previous owner was a fan of over lubricating with grease.
The important thing is when you put it back in the wheel that there are tabs on the speedo housing that have to line up to the wheel. Others have not assured that these are lined up and when installing the wheel have bent the tabs that wherent lined up.

FYI, Most replace the wheel bearings every other tire change but others have never changed them.

YUP! always have a set of bearings from Murphs' in my parts drawer.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc