Author Topic: Speedo housing crack  (Read 792 times)

Offline Redrider

• Big Wheels
Speedo housing crack
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:56:00 am »
I was removing the front wheel to replace the tire. With a wrench on each end of the axle, I steadily applied force to release the nut. When the nut on the right side gave way, I heard a crack in the left side. Turned out the speedo gear housing on the hub broke in 3 pieces. The last tire change was done by a dealer so I am wondering if there was something that may have done to weaken the casing. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again when I install the new unit?  
Alan   ON. Canada  2001 Concours  COG#7261

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Speedo housing crack
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:09:00 am »
Hi Alan;    It sounds like the last person that assembled it did not assemble the speedo drive correctly. IIRC there is a lug on the casing that locates the drive correctly on the fork bottom. When installed correctly I am pretty sure there is no pressure on the casing. So it would not crack in the way you describe.      Colin Prior  Cogmos Administrator  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Colin Prior

Offline Bill Hookman

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Speedo housing crack
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »
The speedo housing may have been installed correctly, but you were using the resistance of the housing to the fork tabs for some of the counter torque.  There's no need for a wrench on each end of the axle.  Just loosen ONE pinch bolt and loosen the axle from that side.  The counter torque resistance is then all taken up by the still tightened pinch bolt holding the other end tight.  
Bill Hookman  Columbus, OH

The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.