Author Topic: speedometer cable  (Read 225 times)

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
speedometer cable
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »
So, on my first test ride to check out the Mean Streak rear 17" wheel and brake swap, I was pleased with the results. The brakes work great. I should go back and write a concise step by step guide on how to install the Mean Streak brakes after you do the wheel conversion if you  don't want to machine the wheel and use the stock C-10 brakes. But, this is not about the wheel/brake swap.

During the test ride, I glanced at the gauges and to my surprise, I saw the speedometer needle jump and then swing down to zero. I pulled the cable loose from the front wheel. I immediate saw the problem.  The cable was broken, I pulled the broken piece from the speedometer gear housing. I had the front wheel off a couple of days ago and had a new tire put on. Maybe I didn't install the cable correctly, but sheesh, I've done this in the past.  It's not rocket science.

I reached my hand behind the dash and could... barely... reach... it. Thankfully the cable was only  finger tight and I was able to remove it.  Ok, I need a new speedometer cable. Are they still available new or do I have to scout around ebay for a used one? Nevermind, I just checked and found several vendors on Amazon selling new Concours cables for about $10 or so. One click shopping here I come.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: speedometer cable
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 08:35:30 pm »
   Murphs

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=50&osCsid=958Qm6IwIk2vvcaqj3krd1

Ships FAST!! :great:

Usually get my stuff in 2-3 days. :great:  For you in the middle of Kansas might take a while longer by mule!! :rotflmao:

You in the middle of Kans
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:41:14 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »
I didn't think about Murph's. Funny thing is, I ordered the same exact Motion Pro speedo cable from Amazon for $5 less.

I also ordered one of Soupy's adjustable billet aluminum kickstand since I installed lowering links. Question: I lowered the bike about 1.25". I already had trouble with the  center stand before I lowered the bike. I was thinking of taking it to a shop and having them cut an inch section out and weld it back together. Anyone ever do this?

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:23:11 pm »
That center stand is now practically impossible. Lots of people cut the center stand down when they do this. It is common.

If you know a good shop they can do it easy. But I don't think the ratio is 1.25":1.25"

I didn't think about Murph's. Funny thing is, I ordered the same exact Motion Pro speedo cable from Amazon for $5 less.

I also ordered one of Soupy's adjustable billet aluminum kickstand since I installed lowering links. Question: I lowered the bike about 1.25". I already had trouble with the  center stand before I lowered the bike. I was thinking of taking it to a shop and having them cut an inch section out and weld it back together. Anyone ever do this?

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 12:13:18 am »
Yeah, I'm actually 1.5 inches lower if you include the lower profile rear tire. The center stand was hard before, had to roll the back tire onto a 1X6 block. Probably impossible now. I figure I didn't want to cut too much, that's why I started at 1 inch.. Maybe I'll do a search and see how much other people are cutting their center stands in relation to how much they lowered the suspension. If I sell the bike, I might say in the ad: buyer must be short like me. Ebay has a ton of center stands for sale. They seem to be plentiful in case I do mess one up.

What? Mules? Come on now, for mail delivery, we got the pony express!

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »
Does the speedometer housing move back and forth a little bit? It moves slightly when I try to tighten the axle.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »
  Yup. It's supposed to do that. there is a 'peg' on the backside of speedo drive that fits into a slot. There is a little play in the speedo drive.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 11:39:00 pm »
Ok, just checking. The manual shows a slot that it fits into, so I thought it would be a snug fit. Glad it's supposed to be like that. Thanks!