Author Topic: Speedometer only problem of first semi epic trip  (Read 242 times)

Offline roadisattva

• ready to spend my good health and clean living dividend
  • Training Wheels
  • enlightment is out there somewhere
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12200
  • Membership Level: Active
Speedometer only problem of first semi epic trip
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:47 pm »
I just spent five days covering about 2000 miles from west central Minnesota to Grand Lake, Colorado with a stop in the eclipse zone of totality in central Nebraska.  My 91 Connie performed like a Ferrari (in my mind) and got over 40 mpg with plenty of two lane curves and hundreds of miles of interstate running at over 80.  What I thought was some wind noise turned out to be screeching from the speedometer head and finally on the way home I noticed the needle swaying and it jumped off and fell into the housing.  The odometer kept working and I found a safe place to pull over and was able to really use the little toolkit pliers to reach under the dash and loosen the cable and remove it to the saddlebags.  the cable seems to turn freely.  I added about 400 miles to the bike to reach my daughters farm where I am temporary contractor and farmhand. Any hope of some disassembly, tinkering and and a drop of oil might fix this?  I have a matching instrument cluster from my 86 magic parts bike that shows 92,000 miles. My 91 only shows just over 31,000. 
What a trip and what a bike.  Clear skies to watch the eclipse from a bluff, a ride up and over trail ridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park where I put the girl to work in the curves and no altitude problems arose. I learned all the prep for this trip here on the COG site and all the advice that I used to get the bike ready provided a smooth, solid ride with plenty of throttle regions that I have only explored briefly while passing some slower drivers.
I learned enough about the bike to have a real list for the next round of improvements; brake lines, seat tweak, peg tweaks, higher windshield; she will get rear shock service( it works well enough for me with the progressive springs from the parts bike on the front)  just more of making it a bit more comfortable. I think I have a 31,000 mile bike that will could get me to the over 100,000 club.  Plenty of low investment touring ahead.  Happy to report that my 66 year old body held up to a 400 mile a day pace and maybe will be able do more after some more comfort upgrades.  A crampbuster throttle control worked well for the entire trip and was a great 9$ accessory.

I look forward to some great input about my speedometer issues

Roadisattva
Another Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Speedometer only problem of first semi epic trip
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:10:56 pm »
I just spent five days covering about 2000 miles from west central Minnesota to Grand Lake, Colorado with a stop in the eclipse zone of totality in central Nebraska.  My 91 Connie performed like a Ferrari (in my mind) and got over 40 mpg with plenty of two lane curves and hundreds of miles of interstate running at over 80.  What I thought was some wind noise turned out to be screeching from the speedometer head and finally on the way home I noticed the needle swaying and it jumped off and fell into the housing.  The odometer kept working and I found a safe place to pull over and was able to really use the little toolkit pliers to reach under the dash and loosen the cable and remove it to the saddlebags.  the cable seems to turn freely.  I added about 400 miles to the bike to reach my daughters farm where I am temporary contractor and farmhand. Any hope of some disassembly, tinkering and and a drop of oil might fix this?  I have a matching instrument cluster from my 86 magic parts bike that shows 92,000 miles. My 91 only shows just over 31,000. 
What a trip and what a bike.  Clear skies to watch the eclipse from a bluff, a ride up and over trail ridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park where I put the girl to work in the curves and no altitude problems arose. I learned all the prep for this trip here on the COG site and all the advice that I used to get the bike ready provided a smooth, solid ride with plenty of throttle regions that I have only explored briefly while passing some slower drivers.
I learned enough about the bike to have a real list for the next round of improvements; brake lines, seat tweak, peg tweaks, higher windshield; she will get rear shock service( it works well enough for me with the progressive springs from the parts bike on the front)  just more of making it a bit more comfortable. I think I have a 31,000 mile bike that will could get me to the over 100,000 club.  Plenty of low investment touring ahead.  Happy to report that my 66 year old body held up to a 400 mile a day pace and maybe will be able do more after some more comfort upgrades.  A crampbuster throttle control worked well for the entire trip and was a great 9$ accessory.

I look forward to some great input about my speedometer issues

Roadisattva

:smiley_confused1: :hum: :confuse: :popcorncouple: :hum:

What is the question again? I'm lost.... :??:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline roadisattva

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 07:14:15 pm »
The speedometer needle is flopping around in the housing and I removed the cable.  I didn't think I buried the point that far in the story,  Sorry
Another Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »
The speedometer needle is flopping around in the housing and I removed the cable.  I didn't think I buried the point that far in the story,  Sorry

Did the needle pop apart into 3 pieces, or are they still assembled, and the stem on the shaft snapped off?
Look at the drive stem, you should see a threaded section, with a barrel near the face of the gauge, that has 2 flats on it... if that is not there, the gauge shaft snapped off.. and its no longer useable...
If its visible, and intact, then disassemble the speedo from the rear, removing the screws etc., and examine the pointer needle.. its 3 pieces, the needle, a barrel like shroud with a notch, and a cap on the end (it has knurlingg on it).. gently pull them apart, if they come apart, then assemble them all back onto the speedo drive shaft, needle first, then the notched barrel, then rethread that cap back on...

All the failures I've seen were snapped off shafts, it should be clear looking at it prior to disassembly.

Sorry for the confusion I was experiencing...

Offline roadisattva

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:37 pm »
Thats great news MOB,  the needle is intact just the black cap separated and it looks to me like it could go back together. Graphite speedometer lube the right stuff to put on the bearings? The reason I removed the cable is that the odometer kept going and I thought maybe I could have a chance to fix it by stopping further damage.
Another Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:27:16 pm »
That's why it was bouncing, as it worked itself off the shafts flat keying..
I wouldn't use any gooby stuff to lube in there, especially graphite.. iirc all those gears are nylon, and fragile...
At the most, I would use something like the lube I use on my beard trimmers and clippers.. a really light weight mineral oil, and a very sparing "drop" at that.
Pickup a small "lube pen" prefilled with light oil at any beauty supply store that sells electric clippers, or even Home Depot or Lowes..
$2, and you'll never use it all up..
For the cable, pull it out of the sleeve, wipe it clean with a rag and WD40, then coat it with light weight grease, or Vasoline, and slip it back into the sleeve, making sure to get it inserted into the drive tangs on both ends.. I always install the speedo end first, and push the drive cable while twisting it to insure it engages the driven coupling on the speedo, then keeping pressure on the cable, attache it to the wheel drive mechanism.

Oh, and don't run that cable assembly thru that wire bracket the brake lines run thru by the front brakensplitter block,  it makes the cable bind and wear funky.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:30:58 pm by MAN OF BLUES »