Author Topic: Spot/Flood light mounting position  (Read 427 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Spot/Flood light mounting position
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:41:27 am »
I have ordered some ADVmonster Model 20 lights for my 2000 Concours. I went with the combo - 1 flood, 1 spot. Want to light up the side of the road and down the road.

My concern.....the flood is a 45 degree flood. If I mount them too far back, let's say by the reflectors on the side of the fairing, the flood will not cast any light to one side of the bike, as the fairing is in the way. I need to mount them "forward" so as to get light from the flood to cast onto both sides of the bike. No concern with the spot as it is a 15 degree so it should not be a problem.

Where can I mount the lights that will allow the flood to get some light down both sides of the bike? I have looks at the Tech pages and searched the Forum but don't really see that this issue has been addressed.

Even mounting the lights down low, off the bolts by the oil cooler, will have the flood cast it's light onto the front wheel and not allow light to get to the other side of the wheel.

Ideas? Thx.....

Mike

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
Flood/spot light mounting position
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 11:16:01 am »
I have ordered some ADVmonster Model 20 lights for my 2000 Concours. I went with the combo - 1 flood, 1 spot. Want to light up the side of the road and down the road.

My concern.....the flood is a 45 degree flood. If I mount them too far back, let's say by the reflectors on the side of the fairing, the flood will not cast any light to one side of the bike, as the fairing is in the way. I need to mount them "forward" so as to get light from the flood to cast onto both sides of the bike. No concern with the spot as it is a 15 degree so it should not be a problem.

Where can I mount the lights that will allow the flood to get some light down both sides of the bike? I have looked at the Tech pages and searched the Forum but don't really see that this issue has been addressed.

Even mounting the lights down low, off the bolts by the oil cooler, will have the flood cast it's light onto the front wheel and not allow light to get to the other side of the wheel.

Ideas? Thx.....

Mike

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Spot/Flood light mounting position
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
Interesting choice on the lights.  I've been eyeballing those for quite a while, and they seem to have both good and bad reviews.  ADVRider forum has quite a few buyers of those lights, and pretty decent support from the owner, who monitors that forum regularly.  Just for fyi.
Alot of guys there will buy a light bar or mount to crash bars to get proper forward light coverage, especially with dual purpose lights (flood/spot).

Most of the c14 guys hang spots and floods under their mirrors, and other's like me mount smaller lamps on the forks, for mostly conspicuity purposes. 

sorry I can't be more helpful.  Would like to see pics up once you sort it out!
:great:

gr

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:27:43 am by ghostrider990 »
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:29:46 am »
Thx Ghostrider..I did post in the wrong forum (C14) but have reposted in the C10.

Thx for your input.

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:53:30 pm »
Larry Buck makes a nice light mounting bar for the C10. Try Bucksporttouring.com.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 03:50:08 pm »
Here's how I did a set of Halogen lights - the bracket idea might be of use to you.

I've got dimensions and parts info if you're interested.  The hardware ran about $11 at Home Depot.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »
Here's how I did a set of Halogen lights - the bracket idea might be of use to you.

I've got dimensions and parts info if you're interested.  The hardware ran about $11 at Home Depot.

Any concern with the front fender hitting the light bar when taking a big hit?

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 10:27:25 am »
Here are the measurements for the hardware bits on my light bar:

Threaded rods are 3 3/4" apart measured O.C.

The threaded rods are 4 3/16" to 4 1/4" long.  There is adjustment available in them depending how far up you thread them into the pipe clamp and how thick your washers are on the bottom. 

The bar itself is 19" long.  This could vary for you depending on the size of the lights you select.

To get the holes right for the rod, I measured and marked the exact middle of the tube at 9.5".

Then I measured half of the 3 3/4" to the left and right at 1 7/8" each way.  Used a point punch to make the holes exactly where I wanted them, centered on the tube.

I used nyloc nuts to ensure things would stay snug and stainless hardware whenever possible due to weather exposure.

Make sure to measure everything for yourself before you start cutting as different width washers and light sizes could vary the threaded rod and square tube length.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 10:34:13 am »

Any concern with the front fender hitting the light bar when taking a big hit?

Here are questions from the OP and my answers.  Don't think he'ld mind me posting them.

<<did you run wires through the sq tubing?>>
Yes, but I would do that differently the next time around.  It was tough to work the wires through the holes I drilled in the tube without chafing the insulation.  If I had it to do over again, I'ld run them along the back side of the tube (maybe zip tie them in place) and find a way to cover them up cosmetically with angle stock or something like that.

<<any fear of taking a bit front wheel hit and having the front fender hit the light bar?>>
I had first consulted '2fast' who had a similar setup and studied this a lot before going through with it and determined it wasn't an issue, and its never been a problem.  However that could change for others, depending on weight of rider, softer suspension settings etc.  Good way to check would be to strap the bike down, and compress the forks to see where they end up.  Had the square tube not worked, I would have gone to flat stock to go under the fairing nose. 

<<what are the end caps? i like the finished look of them.>>
Those were doodads I had laying around and actually didn't match!  Its been a while but I think they are wooden dowels a couple inches long, and an oil bottle cap (or some such thing) screwed onto the end - then jammed into the end of the square tube.  High tech.

<<do the c-clamp things clamp onto the fairing frame or..?>>
Yes.  If you follow the dimensions I'll post on the thread you started, and mock it up on your bike, you'll see where they will attach.  It takes a long ratchet extension from the top of the fairing to get at the top bolts.  At first I wondered if it would be secure enough, and it is very secure.

I actually built 2 of these, the 2nd for my 1999 Kawasaki Voyager 1200.  Worked great there too.  I looked it up and had $33 into each one including the lights.  They are HELLA Optilux driving lights (they also made Fog lights in the same configuration) on sale for $20 a pair.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:39:18 am by Stasch »

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:19:56 pm »
Thx a bunch Stasch…..

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 04:35:25 pm »
ADVMonster stuff is junk. It's just rebranded chinese amazon stuff.

I have a set of their 'floods' and then a set of denali spot lights. You always want spots. If you have the floods on, they are way too bright, and people will be flashing you like crazy. I'm speaking from experience here. I have the hardwired dimmer from them, and even on the lowest setting people are flashing, and it really doesnt provide much in light. So basically, the advmonster lights are on during the day (when they work) and then the denalis are at night.

The wiring is cheap and suuuuper thin. I dont want to tape or tie anything to keep the connectors together because it will just rip the connector off...so they are DOA at the moment, and I'm just leaving them that way for now.

If you haven't ordered yet, save your money and buy the denalis. Or rigids.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »
If you're indeed stuck with them, I really like the mounting on the bolts of the middle fairing. I have both sharing a mount that I bought here at COG years ago. You can replicate it with some angle iron and a grinder.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »
I drilled holes in the mirror mounts and bolted an LED spotlight to each. Good for distance.
I bought 2 brackets that clamp around the fork lowers and added an LED floodlight to each.
Powered the lot via switches and relays so I can choose between having the fork ones on with the headlight, on with high beam, or off. The mirror mounted ones are on with high beam.
These are the brackets I used to mount to the fork lowers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOWLED-Bullbar-Mounting-Bracket-49-54mm/dp/B014QNYT9E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1541796042&sr=8-5&keywords=50mm+clamp+bracket
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:44:24 pm by Boomer »
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:39 pm »
I found a set up I really like
Driving lamps on the light bar
Fog lamps on the tip over bars
Turn everything on with the high beam and I can see Waaay down the road
Ive got them aimed so they dont blind oncoming traffic
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 02:14:27 pm »
I will have a limited number of my driving light mounts available for end of year availability. If you want the best mount for long range lighting please place your order now. When they're gone, they're gone. Thanks for the bandwidth.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com