Author Topic: Starter switch question  (Read 281 times)

Offline Big D

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Starter switch question
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:17 am »
I was having a problem with my starter switch so I decided to clean the contacts of the newly acquired pre-94 starter switch (right side controls). I thought I was being very methodical and cautious but no. Suddenly two small springs went flying along with the switch and the contact (yes, feel free to laugh and make fun of me since I read the warnings on the forum and yet it still happened lol)

So my question is where do both of the small springs go on a pre-94 switch? I know how to install the larger copper colored spring but the smaller spring has me baffled. How and where does it install?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5753
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Starter switch question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:48:37 pm »
Big D:

I just cleaned my '86 starter button contacts and I seem to remember a small black spring that laid parallel to the contact. If I remember correctly it was a the base of the lever you push to start the bike.
Fortunately, for me mine didn't fly out which surprised me given my experience with springs. I couldn't find any pictures in manuals to guide you and I'm going from memory [about thirty days ago].

HTH,

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Big D

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Starter switch question
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:47:24 pm »
@ Red Eagle   Thanks for the info.  I think that makes sense and I'll have to try putting it back together with that in mind.