Author Topic: Steve's coolant recipe  (Read 514 times)

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11820
  • Membership Level: Active
Steve's coolant recipe
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:45:46 pm »
No matter what combination of key words I use, I cannot find SiSF's coolant recipe.  Can someone help me out?
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines, Murph/KB tubular bar mounts w/ SuperBike bars, yada yada

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Steve's coolant recipe
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 06:30:55 pm »
If water wets, and water-wetter wets wetter than water, does water-wetted water wetter wet wetter than water-wetter?
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Lee

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:21:02 pm »
Other discussion info related to my experience with cocktail.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/coolant-cocktail!/msg635546/#msg635546

Offline Lee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 05:23:55 pm »
Approximately 104-106 oz total. Of which 12oz is Water Wetter, 56 oz 50/50 Asian formula antifreeze, 36-38 oz  or so distilled H2O. Fill to high point of pump bleed then close bleeder, fill to thermostat bleed then close. Run to warm only to remove any remaining air. Thermostat needs to open. Replace Rad Cap. Place remaining mix of fluid in reservoir. As stated could not find any pump lube that did not contain leak stop additive. So I left that out of mix substituting distilled water. Also used a antifreeze calculator, found on net to figure freeze point temperature. There are many out there and some discrepancy between them. This is just a bastardisation of Steve's formula found on COG search and modified for my expediciency. Did as he has indicated, dramatically lowered temp. My fan has yet to turn on at long idle in traffic anymore. Something it was doing frequently before change of new fluid combo. Thanks again Steve

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12770
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 06:58:18 pm »
It’s no different than what everyone runs in track and race bikes- been going on forever.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:02:49 pm »
If water wets, and water-wetter wets wetter than water, does water-wetted water wetter wet wetter than water-wetter?

Stop it... :rotflmao:

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:20:44 pm »
All the race bikes I ever ran had to have straight water and no additives.
All that extra stuff makes the track slippery.

And Nosmo, you just mess up my night.

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:59:02 am »
I mixed up a 30% coolant version of Steve's formula.  Using a quart bottle as a measuring tool.  I think I did well but I have a question.  I used Dex Cool that says it should be 50-50 minimum coolant.  It was the only stuff that specifically said non-silicate on the label.
So just for giggles I put a bit of mix into a zip lock sandwich bag and put it in the freezer.  I didn't mix the mix like I would for paint or resin, but it didn't have any swirls in it or any tequila sunrise effects.
The pic shows the mix after a day in the freezer.  The wife put food in or out and said she found the baggie on the floor then put it back in.  The thermometer on the top shelf of the door said 25F.  I could feel flakes of ice in the bag but they were not strong, they crused or maybe even mused although I was carrying the back around the house by then.  The mix definitely did not freeze.  Not sure how it would perform after running around an engine or what 'normal' antifreeze does below freezing.
1987 Concours

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:45:08 am »
Update: After 8 hours without opening the door to the freezer the temperature on the top shelf was at 20°F and the formula was still liquid, say 99-44/100% liquid.  I still saw some of the slush flakes but could not feel them.  They seem to be from a very thin layer at the top surface. 
Fresh water ice floating on salt water can cut through the wooden hull of a small boat, according to folk wisdom.  This stuff is well contained by a dollar-store zip lock bag so it is definitely not very strong.  Outside temp reach 0°F here sometimes and I am going to store my bike outside this winter.  I'm thinking of saving the formula for the springtime or just bumping the Dex ratio up to 50%.
Any thoughts on this from folks north of 40° latitude or having info about Dex Cool?
1987 Concours

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 01:40:06 pm »
The more coolant , the less the heat shedding effect. I believe I covered that in the writeup. steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 09:37:14 pm »
The more coolant , the less the heat shedding effect. I believe I covered that in the writeup. steve
I get that part  :great:
What I read in an article about Ethylene Glycol (not propietary or other coolant mixes) is that (confession: I just googled it) it melts/freezes at 8.78°F.  I expect it would make a bad impression on customers if they found their antifreeze frozen in the bottle, so maybe they premix some H2O in to lower the freezing point to the minimum expected storage temperature.
I can continue my experiment outdoors all winter, the gallon of SISF formula will be stored in an unheated garage alonng with what's left of the distilled water.  I haven't had any bottles burst in the past.  The record setting low temperature 2 towns from here was -3°F.  That would dictate a 37% ethylene glycol mix.  Looking at the chart again I may have remembered the °C value instead of the °F.   That makes the most sense since I've been running 50-50 and a 37% version of the formula should be an improvement.  I'm still not sure it's wise to assume that Dex Cool is virtually pure ethylene glycol.
1987 Concours

Offline Lee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 10:27:57 pm »
HIGHER H2O RATIO BETTER COOLING

HIGHER ANTIFREEZE RATIO BETTER FREEZE PROTECTION

Would strongly advise those C10 owners in all hot states to use any of the online antifreeze calculators to mix coolant/antifreeze by temp range you will see in your area.

This will insure maximum heat transfer from engine to outside air. This is more important than protection against a low temperature you will never see.

Most bikes and cars are overdosed with antifreeze!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 12:35:14 am »
HIGHER H2O RATIO BETTER COOLING

HIGHER ANTIFREEZE RATIO BETTER FREEZE PROTECTION

Would strongly advise those C10 owners in all hot states to use any of the online antifreeze calculators to mix coolant/antifreeze by temp range you will see in your area.

This will insure maximum heat transfer from engine to outside air. This is more important than protection against a low temperature you will never see.

Most bikes and cars are overdosed with antifreeze!
Living in FLA I only need protection to about 20*

However, IIRC, you need a minimum of 33% coolant for lubrication and corrosion protection, assuming no other additives.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 01:13:47 pm »
Just an update on the experiment:  I put the thermometer on the bottom of the freezer with the baggie of SISF 30% mix and left it... I'll say at least overnight.  This morning it read 8 degrees F and I didn't see any of the slush flake effect at first, then only a little as I kneaded the bag.  Unlike the 1st time I couldn't feel any solid/gel.
I'm thinking either the mix wasn't mixed well or it was affected by the frequent door opening and 2 feet of warmer air rising to where the thermometer was on the top shelf.  It's an under-counter model with a front door so the cold air spills out the bottom when the door is opened.  The thermostat is at mid height if I recall correctly.
I still need to bump the coolant ratio up to 37% to reach -3F per an online ethylene glycol chart.
1987 Concours

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 03:39:46 pm »
DST --> EST gave me an extra hour this morning so I'll adjust the % this way:
I need 7% more coolant so 128/.93= 137.63 total oz.
137.63-128= 9.63 oz. pure coolant to add
9.63/32= .301 = need to about .3 of my quart bottle measuring instrument.
That should handle the coldest night on Long Island, NY.
1987 Concours

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 02:55:29 pm »
 :deadhorse:
Dayum!  I found an old coolant tester and (a few days after adjusting the Dex Cool percentage)  the tool says I'm at maybe +8F protection.  That stuff is not pure ethylene glycol unless the Water Wetter is very differnt.  There isn't much WW in there anyway.  I am glad I didn't just put this in my bike.  Of course nobody would respect blazing a traiL of compromise between the instructions on the bottle and the wise men of COG.
1987 Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: >:( :-\

we are now in the process of banning you, from any coolant post, because you uttered the words "DEX-Coool"

the worst invention of coolant, from GMC, to ever surface as a reliable, coolant.

the horror, the horror... DEX Cool... OMG... burn at the stake the horror...

:))

not kidding, it ruined every GM vehical I owned, and cost me tons of money to correct, and repair... green coolant is good.... orange is bad... ummmkay?
 :truce: :truce: :truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...