Author Topic: stripped down and 3d!  (Read 1139 times)

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
  • Writer, photographer, teacher, motorcyclist
    • Mechanical Sympathy
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11677
  • Membership Level: Active
stripped down and 3d!
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:49:13 pm »
I'm teaching some 3d modelling next semester so I thought I'd practice on the stripped down ZG1000 in the garage.  The scan was done with an Occipital Structure Sensor.  The wheels are off getting refinished and re-tired.  While I had it off its feet I did the spark plugs and I'm half way through rebuilding the brake calipers.

https://skfb.ly/KwsA

http://tkmotorcyclediaries.blogspot.ca/2016/01/motorcycle-3d-modelling.html

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
Re: stripped down and 3d!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:33 am »
Pretty neat. If you could do a scan when the bike is back together and make a wire form similar to your avatar it would make a cool tshirt design.

I saw your post of the spark plug change. Good write ups. When you get to your valve adjustment order a set of spark plug well gaskets, the outside two look like you have a leaker. Most of us change them every time we take the valve cover off. Yours don't look too bad so just wait until valve adjustment is due or if they get worse enough to fill the spark plug wells with oil. PS they're coils not distributor caps.

I'm with you, almost but a bit further south, Come on spring.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline kkja13

• Training Wheels
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 02:03:15 pm »
I have been 3D modeling parts as draftsman/designer since 1993.  This is of course starting from scratch and modeling the parts individually and then building assemblies and then eventually drawings.  I currently use Pro/Engineer (Creo) and have used SolidWorks in the past.  The level of detail that I deal with is enough to manufacture the parts. 
With that said, it would be really cool to have a true 3D model of a C10. 
So how much time do you have on your hands?  ;)
How bout a complete disassembly of everything except the engine.  Scan each part.  Then send me STEP or IGES files.  I will reassemble it in my system.  Then when folks need to know if something will fit or bolt up I could tell them for sure!  Heck I could even design your new farkles!  :great:

Jeff

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:42:14 pm by kkja13 »
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:41:19 pm »
Ontario, way north of my normal range.  I'm using the tablet now and it won't let me scroll when I modify the post I apologize for the non-logical order of thinking.  Also I'll try to see the scans later with my desktop etc.
I would love to get some dimensionally accurate scans of the C-10 turn signal area, including the inside mounting bosses.  I could use the scoop areas too.  These are the spots that take a beating when the Connie falls down.
I can print anything that fits in a 4 inch cube, maybe a little bigger.  I can bring my plastics or the whole bike if the weather is good and depending where you are.  It would be great if it is possible to scan a left fairing tab then reverse it to print a right fairing tab.
If anybody knows a source or library of these parts I'd like to hear about it, too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:47:38 pm by Tour1, Reason: Checked location etc. »
1987 Concours

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:52 pm »
Really cool 3D model!  :great:   Not sure how much time you have as kkja13 mentioned, but would love to see a tru 3D model. Keep up the great work and looking forward to reading more on how it all comes together.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
    • Mechanical Sympathy
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 09:52:35 pm »
...just wait until valve adjustment is due or if they get worse enough to fill the spark plug wells with oil. PS they're coils not distributor caps

Thanks Bob.  Coils!  Now I know (the perils of coming from a car mechanical background).

The previous owner did the valves just before I got it.  It always starts on the touch of the button and the exhaust is always clear (no smoke etc).  I was surprised to see the plugs as mucky as they were.

Once I've got it back together I'll get a model of the bike whole... if I make it out to any CoG events this year (on my to-do list), I'll bring the scanner.  Nothing looks better on your desk than an exact scale replica of your bike.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 11:50:29 pm »
Yes TKing, the plug near the #3 on the paper towel is typical of a plug well gasket. 1 and 4 are really mucked up like the spark plug boot let salt water into the well but I do see oil on the threads.
The oil leaking in the well won't show up coming out of your exhaust. The spark plug well gaskets just keep the oil from the valve train area from getting out through the mating surface of the spark plug well and valve cover. Won't make it to the cylinders, of course any oil in the well when you remove the plug will drip in. The PO probably didn't replace them when he did the valve adjustment.

We do some reverse engineering on a component level at work. I programmed video coordinate machines and collect a lot of points in order to get accurate dimensions and feature locations, mostly 2D stuff. Newer laser scanners and high power software that can handle the countless number of points in order to get very accurate shapes and forms are cool.

Yes, getting the shape of frequently broken fairing areas scanned and having the ability to replacement parts would be great.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
    • Mechanical Sympathy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 11:14:47 pm »
Right there with you Bob - I'm working on the school board to buy us a larger format 3d printer.  If I'm going to 3d print replacement fairing parts though I'm going to Blender them first.  A full on Game of Thrones dragon scale fairing...  yeah, that'd be cool.

In the meantime I'm trying out itseez3d.  it uses the ipad camera to texture the model... not bad!  https://skfb.ly/KCUw

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 12:29:56 am »
1st plug on the left indicates your about to have a serious carb issue. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline tk1ng

• Training Wheels
    • Mechanical Sympathy
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 05:02:56 pm »
When I first got it on the road last year I set it to PRImary and rode it for two months.  A friend who'd had one before (it seems most people have) told me PRI stands for PRIme, not primary.  I set it to regular operation and suddenly it accelerates sweetly and wasn't popping off unburnt gas when I came off the throttle.

Could my ignorance have done that to the plugs?  If it's impending carburetor doom is there anything I can do about it before I'd rather be riding it during our too short Canadian riding season?

In the meantime, rebuilt calipers!