Author Topic: Stripped Radiator Bracket/Motor Mount  (Read 343 times)

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12977
  • Membership Level: Active
Stripped Radiator Bracket/Motor Mount
« on: December 05, 2018, 01:38:21 am »
 :'(   >:(   :'(   >:( 

I've been able to sort out all the open ends with the bike and that has been exciting... But today I messed up a bit. In the process of installing the standoff bolts for the highway pegs, I was precisely going for the 45 Lbs-Ft torque and after I realize the standoff bolt was spinning freely. At first i thought I was messing up the aluminum standoff bolt but in reality I stripped the radiator bracket, which the engine mounts to it. I honestly was never able to even hit 43 Lbs-Ft, so I am not sure how that happened.

:-[    :-[     :-[

I humbly come to ask for help:

1. Has anyone stripped the same thread and tried to put a nut on the end of the bolt and torque it? It is very tight, I am trying to locate a low profile nut. I believe it is a 10mm x 1.50 pitch. I am hoping someone has achieved this so I know for sure I am hunting a viable solution.

2. If the nut option is no go, I suspect the only thing to do is to replace the radiator bracket. Could someone tell me good news about that? It would be amazing if someone would come here and say that it is a easy replacement and that I wont even need to disconnect any radiator or coolant hoses. The opposite scares me a bit.

This is the bolt:

I suspect it is one of the two clouded bolts, not sure. Generic radiator bracket photo:

Myself and the Purple Rain machine are thankful.
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
Re: Stripped Radiator Bracket/Motor Mount
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:12:16 am »
Get your tools out.  It's time consuming but not difficult.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:00:48 pm »
Not very familiar with the fairing stay and what that threaded section looks like but would a helicoil work there?
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:32:06 pm »
Not very familiar with the fairing stay and what that threaded section looks like but would a helicoil work there?
Not much to lose trying the helicoil.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12977
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:15:02 pm »

Not a bad idea, BUT the engine flange is in the way of the radiator bracket... so in order to access the stripped thread I would need to remove the radiator bracket regardless so at that point I think it is better to just replace it.

Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:21:30 pm by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc