Author Topic: Surging over 4k rpms  (Read 387 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12686
  • Membership Level: Active
Surging over 4k rpms
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:11:15 pm »
I finally got my bike back together and took her out. I made it down my street and turn right back around. When I shifted into 2nd I didn't feel any power so I throttled up. The bike was very hesitant and sluggish. When I hit roughly 4k rpms the bike started surging. But when I backed it down I could manage. I limped home in first l. What could be wrong? It's an 03 c10 with around 43k miles. I just recently did a valve adjustment, oil change, spark plugs, reed valve block off, Cali carb emissions delete. The funny thing is when the bike is in neutral you can rev it and it doesn't do this. On when it's in gear.
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Surging over 4k rpms
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
Do  a float level check. It is simple and easy to do. also  a compression check. We need some basic info.
how about some pictures of those carbs.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
The carbs just came back from Steve so I know those are good. I haven't gotten a chance to do a compression check yet ( had it on my list but got a little impatient). I just read about the spark plug boots and how they need to be screwed on. I'm wondering if I didn't screw them on enough?

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:01 pm »
May very well be leaning out, your carbs may have just come from Steve but a float level check is a good idea on any new carburetor install. A bumpy ride during shipping without fuel in the bowls to stop the float from flopping around could easily change where they were set.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 04:48:07 pm »
How do I check them?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 04:58:47 pm »
May very well be leaning out, your carbs may have just come from Steve but a float level check is a good idea on any new carburetor install.

NO IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

If I did the carbs they're right. Stay out of the carbs, you'll only mess them up if you change anything. The float levels don't change from shipping. PLEASE don't give info like that, it's fully incorrect, and I've shipped over 600 sets so I know what I'm talking about.

Now that that's out of the way let me ask the OP... do you have the foam in the airbox?

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:02:06 pm »
Foam? The 2 min mod or the filter?

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:04:01 pm »
Foam? The 2 min mod or the filter?

Both. you have to have the stock airbox, all sealed up per the instructions and videeos, air filter in, door on , and 2 minute mod foam in the right airbox inlet. Is that how it is set up? Steve

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:07:49 pm »
I didn't do the 2min mod. I wanted to ride it first and see the difference. Should it be in?

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 05:10:43 pm »
I didn't do the 2min mod. I wanted to ride it first and see the difference. Should it be in?

Of course... the 2 minute mod isn't just the piece of foam, it's the jetting I I developed that's then fine tune-able with the foam. if the foam isn't in, the bike dies like yours is doing. Sorry, but that's why I send directions and do videos, I hope for y'all to read them or watch them. Steve

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:13:00 pm »
I suck. Sorry Steve! Doing it right now.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 05:30:44 pm »
May very well be leaning out, your carbs may have just come from Steve but a float level check is a good idea on any new carburetor install.

NO IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA.

If I did the carbs they're right. Stay out of the carbs, you'll only mess them up if you change anything. The float levels don't change from shipping. PLEASE don't give info like that, it's fully incorrect, and I've shipped over 600 sets so I know what I'm talking about.

Now that that's out of the way let me ask the OP... do you have the foam in the airbox?

Steve
I stand corrected.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »
So I did the mod. Road around the block just like last time but now it does it at around 3k. Almost feels like the fuel is being cut off.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 06:04:52 pm »
How much of the foam did you insert ? You might have to cut it down till your reach optimum.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »
I cut about 1/2 inch off. But it feels like it's gotten worse.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 07:17:36 pm »
I'll leave it to Steve to explain the foam thing again for you, but I will interject this...

During the period you were working on the bike, and while waiting for your pristine carbs to come back for installation, did you take the time to clean the tank?
It was removed while it sat, and shaken up both then, and during reinstall... one of the most important things about his carb jobs, is left to the customer to do, and that is to completely drain, dump out any old fuel, and water, and gunk, from the tank, and make sure by flushing it and shaking it with some clean fuel, and dumping that also, the tank is pristine as the carbs you are reinstalling...

I, and I'm sure Steve, really cannot stress this enough.. putting perfect carbs in place, and running questionable fuel into them, can immediatly turn a perfect carb back into a total mess...

Just tossing this out there for you, and others, so drain the bowls into a jar, and look...

Then procede with Steves instructions on correct foam block insertio and setup.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12323
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 07:23:31 pm »
Maybe a dumb question, but is your enrichener (aka choke) off?  My bike was down for 6 weeks and yesterday when starting up I forgot to turn the enrichener off and got the same result you are describing.  I also have SiSF-enhanced carbs with 2MM.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 07:38:06 pm »
So I did the mod. Road around the block just like last time but now it does it at around 3k. Almost feels like the fuel is being cut off.

maybe it is... I'm thinking you have something really wrong because this isn't what to expect at all. Let's start from square one. You need to give up some information here, so be free with it. Tell me about all the work you did to the bike that involves the engine / fuel / ignition.  Be specific. Steve

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 07:57:35 pm »
Ok. Valve adjustment. .006 for intake .008 for exhaust( I'm gonna do a compression test to make sure everything is ok) I fully drained the tank. Rinsed it out and let it dry ( I'm gonna do it again). Put in a new k&n filter. New spark plugs and wires ( soon as the bike cools I'm going to check those connections). And I did the free power mod. I also had to get new throttle cables. I also deleted the reed valves and capped everything as necessary. Other than that I changed all the fluids.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
Ok. Valve adjustment. .006 for intake .008 for exhaust( I'm gonna do a compression test to make sure everything is ok) I fully drained the tank. Rinsed it out and let it dry ( I'm gonna do it again). Put in a new k&n filter. New spark plugs and wires ( soon as the bike cools I'm going to check those connections). And I did the free power mod. I also had to get new throttle cables. I also deleted the reed valves and capped everything as necessary. Other than that I changed all the fluids.

specifically, tell me which wires go from which coil (left / right) to which cylinder from left to right; also when you deleted the pair system tell me where EVERY vacuum line goes now, from where to where; and how many of the carb nipples are open or capped, and where the vacuum lines go from what carb to ? Thanks, steve

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »
Ok here we go!. 1st and 4th cylinder plug wire goes to left coil. Right coil is 2nd and 3rd cylinder ( per Murph's instructions).
I did the reed valve block off plates. I plugged the big hole in the top of the air box. The two lines the run in between carbs 1&2 and 3&4 ( the bigger nipples) are still tee'd together and run into the side of the air box. The port in front of carb 2 goes to the peacock. Ports 1,3&4 are capped off.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 08:34:39 pm »
Ok here we go!. 1st and 4th cylinder plug wire goes to left coil. Right coil is 2nd and 3rd cylinder ( per Murph's instructions).
I did the reed valve block off plates. I plugged the big hole in the top of the air box. The two lines the run in between carbs 1&2 and 3&4 ( the bigger nipples) are still tee'd together and run into the side of the air box. The port in front of carb 2 goes to the peacock. Ports 1,3&4 are capped off.

OK pull the vacuum line from the vent nipples out of the airbox and just leave it open to atmosphere, you can even run it down between the carbs and the airbox. Plug the hoel in the airbox. Put the full foam block in the right side intake, take out the one you cut. Test ride and report back. Steve

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 09:13:10 pm »
Steve what's it like being the man? Seriously!? That was the problem. She runs amazing! Thank you and everyone who helped!

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 09:22:21 pm »
Lesson learned, never doubt the masters instructions. If Steve tells you a chicken can pull a locomotive, get some rope and hook him up.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 09:25:46 pm »
 :great:

Steve