Author Topic: Swapped Gauge Bulbs for LEDs --- WOW!  (Read 738 times)

Offline MarkP

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11503
  • Membership Level: Active
Swapped Gauge Bulbs for LEDs --- WOW!
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:08:53 am »
Browsing through threads a couple months ago, I found this one talking about swapping various incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I decided to give them a try.

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/led-bulbs/
superbrightleds.com part numbers

2 - Turn Signals (WLED-G6 Green)
1 - Neutral (WLED-G-90 Green)
1 - Oil Pressure (WLED-R6 Red)
1 - High Beam (WLED-B-90 Blue)
1 - Clock (74-GHP Green)
4 - General illumination (WLED-G5 Green)

I ended up only swapping the 4 gauge panel lights and clock.
What a difference! I purchased the green LEDs and am glad I did. The green really makes the gauges pop!

A big thumbs up to Super Bright and their customer service. When placing my order, I selected a "green" LED for the clock and "white" for the 4 gauges. Didn't realize my mistake until I had the front of the bike taken apart and the gauge panel out. I installed the green clock LED. It was tempting to just keep the white LEDs because everything was torn down.

Instead, I called Super Bright Customer Service and spoke to Loren. I asked for the quickest way to get replacements sent out because I wanted to install them over the next weekend. Even if it meant placing a new order and paying shipping again. Not only did they not charge me return shipping (it was my bonehead mistake after all) but Loren put through the replacement order right then so it would ship the next day. I hadn't sent the originals back yet. No shipping charges for the replacements as well as no return shipping charges!

I realize for a company doing as much business as they do, my $15 order was probably more of an annoyance than anything else. Still, Super Bright (Loren) corrected MY mistake and took my word that I'd be sending the original LEDs back the next day. Gotta love good customer service!

***EDIT - 11/30/2017***
Those pictures are not the best either. The "after" appears a little blurry in the pic and pretty bright. They are brighter but not glaring. The clock looks completely washed out in the "after" pic. It's really not. I'll try to get a couple better pics.

I like the green better than white because it shows more contrast I think. I was afraid the blue would be more dull. And besides, since green IS faster than blue, the light gets to my eyes faster so I don't have to look down at the gauges so long. :nananana:

MarkP
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:51:01 am by MarkP »

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
Re: Swapped Gauge Bulbs for LEDs --- WOW!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:38 am »
Yes they are a good example of a good company and why they are.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:31:07 am »
Wow those green LED's really do pop, I may have to switch from the blue. Superbrightleds is a great company, I used them for all the LED's on my plow truck. From spotlights/hazard lights, to the oval 18-wheeler style tail lights for the flatbed. And just as the name implies, nice bright diodes and quality housings for everything, can't recommend them enough.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline cal

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:31 pm »
Yep, they are a great company. I've changed out lamps on are truck and cars, and all the bulbs in our trailer. I've also put back into service several old MagLites with their LED bulbs. Now I'm going to do Connie next.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:40:50 pm »
agreed. ive used them in a few of my vintage cars, makes a HUGE difference. im also quite fond of the led headlight bulbs , have them in 5 bikes. also much, much easier on the electrical system.

i have one of these in the c10, you remove the rubber boot and it goes right in. big difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-536W-64000LM-H4-9003-HB2-COB-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit-Hi-Low-Beam-6000K-White/262943111568?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:58:35 pm »
Nice.
2014 C-14

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 03:31:26 pm »
I have a 97 Windsor Green, those dash lights look like the ticket. I like the clock to be lit up better at night too.
Nice job.

m in sc, question about those ebay LED headlights, are those the exact ones you ordered? I there a good distinct cutoff for the low beam so that you are not flooding oncoming traffic with light?
I have some led fog/driving lights on my car that just blast light everywhere and don't really project that far down the road.

I've been looking and I've seen some led headlights with a flap of metal that blocks the light pattern on the high side so to have a distinct cutoff an not blinding. Outback Jon ha gone through a few sets that weren't perfect for the bike and ended up in his cars. I may have to look up his post(s) for his comments on the best he's found.

Thanks for input in advance.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:47:45 pm »
they beam about the same as a std h4. the 3 led pattern is good. you have to make sure they are in right way though, you can turn them 180 degrees in the adapter ring they come in, and then the line is more defined. yes, that is the exact bulb i have in there.

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Street Cruiser
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 07:01:44 pm »
Wow those green LED's really do pop, I may have to switch from the blue.

Blue is the fastest C-10 color, even it is my dashboard lights.  :-)  I prefer the cool blue light myself when riding at night. 

Although the light for the clock would be nice because I have not changed that on my 2001 C-10.

MWH
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:10:10 am »
I noticed on the ride home that my tach in the 3-4-5k range that a bulb is out.  I just ordered the superbrightleds green 194’s and the green clock 74!!  Thanks!

Offline Mike

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:07:41 pm »
Browsing through threads a couple months ago, I found this one talking about swapping various incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I decided to give them a try.

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/led-bulbs/
superbrightleds.com part numbers

2 - Turn Signals (WLED-G6 Green)
1 - Neutral (WLED-G-90 Green)
1 - Oil Pressure (WLED-R6 Red)
1 - High Beam (WLED-B-90 Blue)
1 - Clock (74-GHP Green)
4 - General illumination (WLED-G5 Green)

I ended up only swapping the 4 gauge panel lights and clock.
What a difference! I purchased the green LEDs and am glad I did. The green really makes the gauges pop!

A big thumbs up to Super Bright and their customer service. When placing my order, I selected a "green" LED for the clock and "white" for the 4 gauges. Didn't realize my mistake until I had the front of the bike taken apart and the gauge panel out. I installed the green clock LED. It was tempting to just keep the white LEDs because everything was torn down.

Instead, I called Super Bright Customer Service and spoke to Loren. I asked for the quickest way to get replacements sent out because I wanted to install them over the next weekend. Even if it meant placing a new order and paying shipping again. Not only did they not charge me return shipping (it was my bonehead mistake after all) but Loren put through the replacement order right then so it would ship the next day. I hadn't sent the originals back yet. No shipping charges for the replacements as well as no return shipping charges!

I realize for a company doing as much business as they do, my $15 order was probably more of an annoyance than anything else. Still, Super Bright (Loren) corrected MY mistake and took my word that I'd be sending the original LEDs back the next day. Gotta love good customer service!

***EDIT - 11/30/2017***
Those pictures are not the best either. The "after" appears a little blurry in the pic and pretty bright. They are brighter but not glaring. The clock looks completely washed out in the "after" pic. It's really not. I'll try to get a couple better pics.

I like the green better than white because it shows more contrast I think. I was afraid the blue would be more dull. And besides, since green IS faster than blue, the light gets to my eyes faster so I don't have to look down at the gauges so long. :nananana:

MarkP

You forgot the headlight Motorcycle LED Headlight Conversion Kit - H4 LED Fanless Headlight Conversion Kit with Compact Heat Sink Cool White https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-led-bulbs/motorcycle-led-headlight-conversion-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulb-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3930/8566/
and brake lights 1157 LED Bulb w/ Brake Flasher - Dual Function 1 High Power LED - BAY15D Retrofit (possibly discontinued) https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/1157-led-bulb-w-brake-flasher-dual-function-1-high-power-led-bay15d-retrofit-car/923/2274/

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »
those h4s on that link are 2x (+)  the money the ones i linked are. no better in my experience. just fyi.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »
Since we are asking about headlight bulb LED's now, for reference here is the $75 Cyclops Adventure sports bulb:

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/7000-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-Bulb_p_169.html

At 7000 Lumens, I am not sure there is a better bulb on the market. I don't bother with my obnoxious LED spotlights/fog lights anymore, they got turned back into work lights, partly because there is no beam cutoff and VT drivers are less tolerant of being blinded. Now I have been really happy with just a single H4 LED headlight bulb, being that the 7000 lumens is more than what my old generation H4 LED (GENSSI) bulb and the big LED spotlights combined could muster. The low beam has proper cut-off so excess light is not heading straight ahead, and the bulb placement is perfect within our stock Stanley housings. High beam is the light of god, and will light up signs a mile away on the highway, as well as the roadway itself. Being able to switch that to the cutoff low beam lets oncoming drivers know you are being merciful.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 02:33:57 pm »
as a point of,  a std high end filament type h4 is around 1000(lo) 1800 lumens(hi) depending on manufacturer (most are lower 8-900 lumens)).  hth. 

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:38 pm »
Well I ordered the cheapest green 194 bulbs superbrightleds sells. 90 deg light pattern dollar bulbs single smd diode. And the mentioned 74 green clock bulb. Everything went well but I’m not crazy about the color.  In hindsight i wish I would have got white bulbs. The green is GREEEEN!!!  Too much trouble to change again but it was cool going into the cluster job for the first time.  Thanks

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 01:00:14 am »
I'm wondering about the brightness, I don't want to blinded somewhat with the brighter LEDs. I would think white would be too bright. What about red, like they use in military not to alter your ability to see at night.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Gusto

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 01:45:27 am »
The brightness is not an issue for me just the depth of the color

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:30 am »
Just marking this for future reference
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:36:14 am »
I'm wondering about the brightness, I don't want to blinded somewhat with the brighter LEDs. I would think white would be too bright. What about red, like they use in military not to alter your ability to see at night.

Anybody have photos using red or amber for their C10 dash?  Used to have a Suzuki GS1100E with amber / orange dash lighting that I really liked - was supposed to simulate period fighter jet (F14's?) gauge lighting.

Are there less bright LED's that can be used for the Oil / High beam / Turn Signals indicators?   I already find the high beam indicator too distracting with OEM bulbs.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:44 pm »

Anybody have photos using red or amber for their C10 dash?  Used to have a Suzuki GS1100E with amber / orange dash lighting that I really liked - was supposed to simulate period fighter jet (F14's?) gauge lighting.

Are there less bright LED's that can be used for the Oil / High beam / Turn Signals indicators?   I already find the high beam indicator too distracting with OEM bulbs.
I prefer an obnoxiously bright bulb for both the oil and turn signal indicators.  Both of those are things I want to see.  (Especially the oil!)

As for the high beam, I found a 2 SMD LED unit that has the LEDs on the sides, so none are pointing directly at the rider.  Works well without being too bright at night. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"