Author Topic: Swingarm with a mind of it's own ... maybe???  (Read 235 times)

Offline debugjaws

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Swingarm with a mind of it's own ... maybe???
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »
05 Connie, 19.5K on the odo, SISF Cams and Carb upgrades, 17" Mean Streak rear wheel conversion, Sonic fork springs, Progressive 465 rear shock, and fork brace from Murphs. Michelin PR4 tires.

The last couple of weeks it has been delivering a very weird sensation when doing tight turns either direction at low speeds. It feels like the rear end is going to swing around all on its own. I can correct it quickly, but its for sure unnerving. I have suspicions that the swing arm may need adjustment and re-torqueing, new bearings if necessary. I've had the bike for 3 years and have never opened them up and I have no idea what the PO did. I re-packed and torqued the steering head bearings 18 months ago when I put the new fork springs in; I get no front end wobble at any speeds, hands on or off the bars. It's been a very solid and reliable bike up to this point.

What do you all advise?

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Swingarm with a mind of it's own ... maybe???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:08:27 pm »
Follow your suspicions and check torque and play of all pivot points of the rear suspension. I'm sure you've already checked the air pressure in the rear tire.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:01:13 pm »
Check your FRONT wheel bearings.... and fork pinch bolts at the axle....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline debugjaws

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 03:30:25 am »
Checked the front bearings and pinch bolts, also the axle bolt. Good bearings with no abnormal movement and no grind noise. All bolts were torqued to the correct values. Pulled apart the rear suspension. Rear wheel bearing - good. Pulled the wheel, final drive and rear shock pivot and riser arms to check the swing arm bearings. Very solid side to side and up and down. No out of norm movement, no abnormal noise. Bearings were very smoothe. Checked the torque values and they were spot on at 20 for the adjuster and 38 for the lock nut. I loosened them and re-set again just to ensure.

The left side of the shock support system on the other hand was pretty loose with significant right to left slop on both the riser at the bearing area and at the pivot bearing where the shock connects. Torque values were correct, but quite sloppy compared to the right side. I've ordered all new bearings, seals, and pivot bolts. Should be here in a week or so. More to come.