Author Topic: Tank damper location  (Read 331 times)

Offline Jeff in Des Moines

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11054
  • Membership Level: Active
Tank damper location
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:02:53 pm »
I pulled the gas tank on my 2006 for its 12,000 mile service and found that the tank was contacting the frame 3 1/2 inches forward of the square damper. The horseshoe damper was located 9 inches forward of the square damper. Is this the correct location for the horseshoe damper or should it be farther back or farther forward?

Thanks. Meanwhile on to the the valve clearance check!

Later, maybe this fall, I'll introduce myself, get my CDA patch, and make it to a Midwest meet up.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Tank damper location
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:07:12 am »
  My horseshoe rubber is on the frame between the front and rear coil mounts. At the front of the tank there should be 2 round rubber bumpers mounted on a steel peg on both sides of the frame. The tank slides over these first and then the tank rest on the other rubber cushions. Some times the round ones fall off when removing the tank. Find them and glue the securely back on the pegs so the stay there forever and ever. They can be a bitch to find down there in netherland.   Hope this helps.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Jeff in Des Moines

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11054
Re: Tank damper location
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42:49 am »
Thank you!

That will move it back two inches from where it had been. Thanks so much! 

Just picked up the feeler gauge to check the valve clearance. It was more of an effort than expected to get to this point.  So far everything seems in really good shape. This is my first motorcycle.  Had it about three months but put on 1/4 its miles. :-)