Author Topic: Tap left side cover to get oil light and ignition power. What to replace first?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
Guy,  :great: :great: :great: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Thank you 50x for posting that, I greatly apreciate it...
When the box on my '86 forked out, when I went to start the engine for my departure to a RWTW, I'm sure glad I had a couple spares from our scoop up of spare parts for the Isreal bikes..
Also glad you tossed me a relay or 2 for future repair... I ended up reflowing the solder on my old box, and all was good, but I did suck the solder out, pulled the relay, hot melt glue dabbed the board before inserting the new one, and never had an issue...  did aa pre emptive repeat on the box in COGZilla, and don't think it will ever need a repair ever...
I didn't want to divulge the maker of those relays, as I wasn't sure if they were still available, I also didn't want to give propiatary info which might have compromised Larry's current services, I like the fact he does a great job, and backs his work, for a very reasonable price...

But then, I know you understand, as whenever we all get together, seems like its "Los Tres Amigos'.... :beerchug: :great: :rotflmao:
We ARE old farts ain't we?....   well, you and Larry are.. I'm still young.... not. >:(

I'm hopeful you will continue to answer questions here on all manners of ZG1000 problems, you are my Guru bro, and I sure as heck can use the assistance...

Well, it ain't like Song Chuan only has one type of relay, and they aren't available through other sources, because they certainly are. Besides, if you know which end of a soldering iron is hot and figure out how to use a solder sucker, it ain't rocket science, so I really don't think Larry is going to suffer any great financial loss because of the above.   :o
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
I thought Radio Shack used to have 30 amp relays?
I think their defunct now, but I assumed 20 or 30 amp were readily available.

PS: Stop being nice to MOB. He likes it when we pick on him.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
I thought Radio Shack used to have 30 amp relays?
I think their defunct now, but I assumed 20 or 30 amp were readily available.

PS: Stop being nice to MOB. He likes it when we pick on him.

Ride safe, Ted

I never used any RS relays, as they didn't have what I was looking for back then. Besides, I was working in the electrical/electronics industry and had access to a bunch of different ones. The physical size first became apparent to me because I was using a similar one in a PCB I had designed. Problem was, the board design required 24VDC coil relays, and the bike's system is 12VDC.

I thought I had a picture of one of the relays showing the contact rating as being 30A, but can't find it. If I do, I'll revise my original reply - again. Been 100 years since I messed with that stuff, and I can't remember all the fine details.

And LOL! - I'll let you be the bad cop.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Snip> But then, I know you understand, as whenever we all get together, seems like its "Los Tres Amigos'.... :beerchug: :great: :rotflmao:
        Lessee. Natl. Rally - Johnson City, TN. 3!!! Lobster Tails. Yikes.

We ARE old farts ain't we?....   well, you and Larry are.. I'm still young.... not. >:(
I refuse to admit my real age. Period. Speak for yourself - not.

I'm hopeful you will continue to answer questions here on all manners of ZG1000 problems, you are my Guru bro, and I sure as heck can use the assistance...
Although I'm not the wrench I once was, Guy is my mentor also. You too Rich.

Is this a great group or what! All you guys and gals are the best!
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 8581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
When I repaired my J-Box, I cleaned out all the old solder. I then bent the relay pins over so that they PULLED the relay closer to the circuit board trace.
If you do it right, the relay should not be moving around and it cannot fall away from the circuit board.

After doing all that, THEN apply fresh solder. LESS chance of EVER having a cold solder connection again.

My 86 J-Box problems have never returned. It's been what, 31 years now...still going strong.  :great:

Ya just can't beat them vintage 86' Connies...  :great:
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Cal

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12008
what Harry said!  solder is to keep the connection from moving around.  pins of the relay contacting the copper pads of the circuit board come first (if at all possible)

Guy - I still have the spare set of (15a) relays you gave me back in '03/4/5' time frame.  have not needed them since my J-Box rebuild on my still running 86.

Cal