Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
TCW3
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:54:27 pm »
  Just a reminder, or a heads up for those new to the forum, use TCW3 - 2 stroke watercraft oil - in your fuel during the winter storage, or really anytime you're not riding tank over tank. 1 0z to 4 gal seems sufficient, maybe double that for the winter sit.

Many here have been using this for years, it's better ant keeping your carbs serviceable than any other additives, and the success rate has been proven by forum members for some years now.

HTH, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: TCW3
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:10:30 pm »
Thanks Steve. I never knew of this till you did my carbs and told me to add tcw3. Been doing it ever since.

Offline m in sc

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:14 pm »
Absolutely. I actually own a few 2 stroke streetbikes, a few of them are on premix and the carbs are always ready to go. I also do this on the c10 and a few other bikes (of course at a much lower rate than the 2t street bikes). Keeps the ethanol in check for sure.   :beerchug:

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:54 pm »
Is there any preferred brand that you suggest using?

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:05:17 pm »
And how much is too much?

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:09:14 pm »

Not really, but I'll share this... I was discussing this with a fellow who has a high performance 2 stroke boat. He told me his dealer insisted that he run Mercury Quicksilver TCW3. He told me that when using any old tcw3 the engine wouldn't rev the last 3-400 rpms for peak power. He swore the mercury tcw3 changed that. It's pricy stuff though, and I can't say if it would have any similar effect in our bikes, since 4 strokes aren't supposed to use oil anyway. Steve

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:08:49 pm »
 After any ride I always stop for gas to top off the tank and add TCW3. I bought my '94 new and still no rust in the tank! It is no big deal to keep a full tank before you park it. You never know when you next ride will be especially in the frozen north!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:53 pm »
I've used a dose every tank and haven't had any carb problems in 7 years I've owned the bike. This includes the Minnesota storage season known as winter.
Any opinion on synthetic vs. dyno varieties? I see the Mercury Quick is a blend. Personally I've just used the cheap stuff.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:45 pm »
Does anyone know the effectiveness between tcw3 and stabil?

I used stabil and never had any carb issues in the past but after buying a quart of tcw3 I just stuck to it. I have mixed stabil and tc before in the same tank but I don't know if that is needed.

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Bicycle
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:20 pm »
I found this thread the other day and decided I would start using it in my Connie. So happens my carbs were being rebuilt by Steve, so I figured I would put some in my tank and start my carbs off right. In the process of opening the gas cap the lock was a little stiff so I lubed it with the TCW3, it now works like new. I just put this here to say when you add TCW3 to your gas tank, every now and then put a drop in your gas cap key slot and on the slider, any excess will drip in your tank where you want it anyway.   :beerchug:
Vintage43

Offline bowtie39

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10014
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 10:40:31 pm »
I found this thread the other day and decided I would start using it in my Connie. So happens my carbs were being rebuilt by Steve, so I figured I would put some in my tank and start my carbs off right. In the process of opening the gas cap the lock was a little stiff so I lubed it with the TCW3, it now works like new. I just put this here to say when you add TCW3 to your gas tank, every now and then put a drop in your gas cap key slot and on the slider, any excess will drip in your tank where you want it anyway.   :beerchug:
Aw man....that's double dipping!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:40 pm »
Does anyone know the effectiveness between tcw3 and stabil?

I used stabil and never had any carb issues in the past but after buying a quart of tcw3 I just stuck to it. I have mixed stabil and tc before in the same tank but I don't know if that is needed.

they are 2 different products, that are not the same.
TC-W3 is simply a low ash 2 stroke OIL. Period.
It does not prevent oxidation/phase separation/moisture impregnation, or other deterioration of Gasoline... it just provides oil to the mixture, which can coat internal surfaces of both the tank, and carbs, reducing rust and corrosion of metals..and also seal degradation, as the gasoline evaporates.

tons of Oils rated TC-W3 pick one.
https://www.nmma.org/certification/oil/tc-w3

Stabil products (Storage, 360, and Marine) actually DO reduce the breakdown of fuel, reduce the ability to absorb moisture, and protect any surfaces (the 360 product especially/specifically) from moisture damaging corrosion. The issue is, if the tank IS completely filled, with little or no airspace, and sealed, and the carbs are filled (remember the carbs are NOT sealed, they have vent tubes...) little condensation and moisture mixing in the fuel (other than what it had in it at the time it was placed there in the tank) can occurr... but the fuel can surely decompose, and does so somewhat rapidly ( a couple months, within 90 days for certain it will show some effects).

So, I simply utilize the product I need, for my particular machine... On an older Conni, with carbs, I use Stabil-ized fuel, and if you choose to add some TC-W3, it will not hurt anything. I choose NOT to add that to my fuel injected C14 tho, as I simply use the Stabil Marine Grade product, which works for me.

YMMV.
again, they are 2 completely different products, used for 2 different reasons... and using both in a correct quantity is safe for your C10, and recommended.
Most important part is, full tank, and run the bike before shutting it down for the layover... would I use TC-W3 in a bike I ride every other week knowing I'd burn thru a full tank before a month passed? no, I would not, I wouldn't add it every fillup during riding season either, if I knew for sure it wasn't going to sit for 2 months.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:17:10 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 11:10:25 pm »

Not really, but I'll share this... I was discussing this with a fellow who has a high performance 2 stroke boat. He told me his dealer insisted that he run Mercury Quicksilver TCW3. He told me that when using any old tcw3 the engine wouldn't rev the last 3-400 rpms for peak power. He swore the mercury tcw3 changed that. It's pricy stuff though, and I can't say if it would have any similar effect in our bikes, since 4 strokes aren't supposed to use oil anyway. Steve
Thank you!

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 12:06:50 am »
Thanks MOB. I have a bike sitting with a half-full tank now that we suddenly got a bunch of snow. At least I have TC and stabil in there.

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:24:32 am »
 Mettler 1 Reply #6 I have to agree with your filled up after every ride.Rod

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 01:08:26 am »
An absolute gem of advice from this forum, been using TCW3 religiously in every tank on all my bikes. And on other engine powered things in my garage that endure long storage periods.

I know every tank is overkill, but it doesn't hurt.
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Online Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Training Wheels
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:04 am »
  Just a reminder, or a heads up for those new to the forum, use TCW3 - 2 stroke watercraft oil - in your fuel during the winter storage, or really anytime you're not riding tank over tank. 1 0z to 4 gal seems sufficient, maybe double that for the winter sit.

Many here have been using this for years, it's better ant keeping your carbs serviceable than any other additives, and the success rate has been proven by forum members for some years now.

HTH, Steve

Steve,

Every post I've had the pleasure to read from you has been a valuable learning tool that can help others with less knowledge on the subject and possibly save them headaches and misfortune down the road.

I was using non-ethanol fuel and Lucas fuel treatment. I now use Tier 1 fuel, still use additives, always fill up at the end of a ride to help prevent moisture, condensation inside the tank. I will now add TCW3 to my fuel for summer storage.

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate your contributions here you are a plethora of knowledge. :great:

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 01:33:36 pm »
Thanks Steve, will start doing this too, although I have found Sea Foam a better product for me than Sta-bil, this looks even better!
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »
What's the thoughts on StarTron?

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 01:52:54 pm »

Steve,

Every post I've had the pleasure to read from you has been a valuable learning tool that can help others with less knowledge on the subject and possibly save them headaches and misfortune down the road.

I was using non-ethanol fuel and Lucas fuel treatment. I now use Tier 1 fuel, still use additives, always fill up at the end of a ride to help prevent moisture, condensation inside the tank. I will now add TCW3 to my fuel for summer storage.

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate your contributions here you are a plethora of knowledge. :great:

Thanks Tundra, but I know you have a c-14... understand this post and using TCW3 is specific to carbed, bikes, not those with EFI.

For EFI there are a plethora of additives for intense fuel system cleaning.

For fuel stabilization, Stabil or Startron have garnered praise over the years. Steve

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
I found this interesting read:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/

By no means an endorsement of any kind.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 07:44:30 pm »
I found this interesting read:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/

By no means an endorsement of any kind.

I realize you added a disclaimer... but I just know someone is going to read, and try this.....
 :-[

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:55 pm »

I'll give it two thumbs up.  It's seemingly expensive, but if you read the label, a 16oz bottle will
treat up to 256 gallons...  So....  1 ounce is more than enough for a 7 gallon tank.  That's about a buck/serving.

My storage cocktail is 1oz Startron, and 2oz TCW3 in a full tank, on the C-10.  Never failed me yet.   :great:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 11:36:06 pm »

I'll give it two thumbs up.  It's seemingly expensive, but if you read the label, a 16oz bottle will
treat up to 256 gallons...  So....  1 ounce is more than enough for a 7 gallon tank.  That's about a buck/serving.

My storage cocktail is 1oz Startron, and 2oz TCW3 in a full tank, on the C-10.  Never failed me yet.   :great:

Why the cocktail?  What does the TCW3 bring to the party that StarTron doesn't.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 11:46:16 pm »
startron was supposed to stop the effects of the ethanol on the acerbis tank my ducati used. it didn't. still spread. ducati bought me a new tank, lined, under a tsb. I have my doubts with any of the stabilizers, and i dont use them anymore.  Just run them at least once a month and use a dash of 2t in the fuel and no problems.  all 11 of my bikes have zero carb issues doing this, and some have flat out tiny carbs. (vm16s on the Hs1). and yes, i use pump ethanol in all of them. Just my experience.