Author Topic: Thank you Steve at Shouldabeenengineering  (Read 547 times)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Thank you Steve at Shouldabeenengineering
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:00:40 am »
Took your advice,, covered my oil cooler with tin foil , for winter riding, and now the engine actually gets above the barely warm mark .  You can actually watch the anti freeze radiator thermostat opening and closing on the temperature gauge. But even at its coldest running temps, the engine stays nice and quiet, as if the oil is making its rounds  , even in below freezing temps.  I don't think I'll need to cover the radiator since temps are already freezing the road, and I had a black ice rear end slide right off the road yesterday, but I saw it coming and managed to keep her up and got her back on the road after rolling down a 3 or 4 foot gravel embankment.  The c10 handles very nicely in a rear end slide.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Thank you Steve at Shouldabeenengineering
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:18:38 pm »
after a quick carb sync  I learned how to post a quick vid,

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.shinerock/videos/2053505494738219/

This is stone cold , another first try start after being parked for 2 cold rainy days.  It starts better,   It no longer sounds like an alcohol burning funny car, always starts on first try stone cold even in below freezing temps, the low end seems more solid, which makes the high end seem less exaggerated I think.  Otherwise I'd think I lost high end for low end.  And the sound I started this thread about seems to only be noticeable at about  2-3.5k rpm and seems most noticeable when it is cold .  The engine never really gets warm even in 30 mile trips to work and back.  So I haven't been opening her up to test the power band like I was at the end of summer.  Above 5grand rpm she sounds perfect, always has.  How does the 800 rpm idle sound to you COGGERS?  I'll post an rpm rev vid next chance I get, But I think I got her pretty dialed in for long road trips now, except I have to fix the annoying speedo cable wine that occurs in cold weather occasionally.

Iffn you are gonna run the bike quite a bit in colder weather I would suggest covering the oil cooler completely and some of the radiator to get your temps up a bit. Also would suggest a 195* thermostat available in Stant, get the SuperStat.

If you don't mind spending a bit over a honey bee check out the Therm-o-Bob. Good stuff for maintaining an even proper temp in the cooling system.

Running cold is tough on the engine as it doesn't warm enough to burn off the water out of the oil.
Wrong Steve.  SteveJ is the one that gave you that advice.  He's one of the Florida Steves.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:40:24 pm »
Yup, that was Steve J .  :beerchug: Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:03:07 pm »
Yup, that was Steve J .  :beerchug: Steve

Yes, 'twas I.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Sparkie

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:05:58 pm »
Great advice on blocking off radiator opening.  I live at 7000 ft elev and made a couple plastic pcs. to put in front of the cooler and radiator when riding in the cold. They worked great to keep the temp guage in the middle range, otherwise the needle would rest too far to the cold side. The plastic could be slid in place with no tools so was easy to take in and out as needed.
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 08:21:19 pm »
The Steves know, and we are grateful.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile