Author Topic: The Ultimate C-10 Build?  (Read 266547 times)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: The Ultimate C-10 Build?
« Reply #1725 on: March 28, 2017, 02:03:45 am »
IT'S ALIVE..... again.

WHile it starts and runs, the compression ratio drop appears to have really messed with the tune.  Dropping the compression has made the engine extremely rich now and the warm up curve is completely off.  It loads up so easy.  I will have to start over somewhat, but no biggie. Once it's warm/hot it seems to clean up and run much better.  But the compression ratio has gone from 10:1 to closer to 8:1.   That means less fuel across the board when off boost and apparently a lot less needed to get it to start and warm up.  That'll have to be completely changed.  The fuel map for running is easy, the warm up tables and accel-enrich tables and all the fuel trims and correction tables are what are time consuming and those are at least all going to need touching up or completely refiguring. THe AFR tables may not work out as well now either.  I hadn't expected those things to change much, but just the 6 millisecond prime pulse plus the warm up table enrichment are enough to flood the engine when trying to start now so that you have to hold the throttle open to get it to fire.  Once warm it settles down and idle as it approaches operating temp.  I'll work on that stuff tomorrow.  Still have a lot to put together as the fairings and instruments are all off the bike still.  Inch by inch.  Should be riding by tomorrow evening I think.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12469
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #1726 on: March 28, 2017, 02:28:39 am »
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) YAHOO

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1727 on: March 29, 2017, 03:38:30 am »
Well I have good news and bad news....

While I finally have her in a better state of tune, I had to rework all of the ignition and fuel tables and still haven't touched a few areas... but it's all for naught temporarily as I have an oil leak I cannot stop.  The hose that runs to the right side of the ZZR head is leaking at an aluminum fitting (which was partially stripped when I bought the engine originally) and will not tighten enough to stop the flow. I've been trying and trying to get a seal, but no dice.  I had it tight enough last time, but breaking it all down and trying to tighten again has apparently used the last of its "willing get tight"-ness. It's only a teaspoon an hour or probably less, but I'm not going to ride it leaking. Pooo!

The part I need is the part connected to the hose in this eBay auction.
http://tinyurl.com/kv3xyqu

It sure was nice to get to ride it a bit though.  I reckon I'll take Fred's EFI bike to the Wildflower instead. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:41:33 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
« Reply #1728 on: March 29, 2017, 03:55:36 am »

While I finally have her in a better state of tune, I had to rework all of the ignition and fuel tables and still haven't touched a few areas... but it's all for naught temporarily as I have an oil leak I cannot stop.  The hose that runs to the right side of the ZZR head is leaking at an aluminum fitting (which was partially stripped when I bought the engine originally) and will not tighten enough to stop the flow. I've been trying and trying to get a seal, but no dice.  I had it tight enough last time, but breaking it all down and trying to tighten again has apparently used the last of its "willing get tight"-ness. It's only a teaspoon an hour or probably less, but I'm not going to ride it leaking. Pooo!

well dang it and were is wildflower at never heard of it  :)

It sure was nice to get to ride it a bit though.  I reckon I'll take Fred's EFI bike to the Wildflower instead.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1729 on: March 29, 2017, 04:02:14 am »

well dang it and were is wildflower at never heard of it  :)

It's about 4 hours northwest of here near Hunt, TX.  It's listed as an event under the SC region.  It's my all time favorite ride.  I never miss it unless I'm injured on the way there. LOL  I HAVE A BAD HISTORY WITH THE WILDFLOWER.   >:(
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
« Reply #1730 on: March 29, 2017, 04:18:14 am »
Well dang that looks like fun Wish I was going
 :)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1731 on: March 29, 2017, 04:24:33 am »
The Big Texan Steak Ranch is the home of the 72oz steak..... the Wildflower is the home of the bottomless Margarita.   >:D

And the Twisted Sisters...

And the Hunt Rock Café...

And the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool (and associated restaurant)

And Enchanted Rock...

And Lost Maples...

And, coincidentally,  the world's finest Wildflowers (when the weather is right and the scheduling matches up)

\And lots more...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:30:26 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
« Reply #1732 on: March 29, 2017, 04:41:28 am »
Sweet
I have been to the big Texas steak house in Amarillo they have some really good food and I ate their 72oz steak I could eat some food when I was younger   

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1733 on: March 29, 2017, 04:43:45 am »
Sweet
I have been to the big Texas steak house in Amarillo they have some really good food and I ate their 72oz steak I could eat some food when I was younger
That's a lot of food.  I doubt I could have ever eaten it all and not been ill.  I've never tried.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline kevingore

• Scooter
« Reply #1734 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:43 am »
Sweet
That's a lot of food.  I doubt I could have ever eaten it all and not been ill.  I've never tried.

ya it is  :)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #1735 on: September 15, 2018, 03:03:19 pm »
Rev: I know this is an old post.
    Wondering how many HP you think you got out of the Ultimate C-10 Build?  {Post #1; The initial target was 200}
           annnnd,,,,  Have you done anything else to it?
               ie;  I know you planned methanol injection, more boost, and digital instruments...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:25:59 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1736 on: September 15, 2018, 07:08:36 pm »
Hey Ted.
The turbo bikes are just sitting for now.  No time or enthusiasm to offer them for this year.  The Porsche is the next big project in the shop.  I have acquired more engines, trannies, and differential for it, so it's on deck first.  I DO have the working gauge setup for the Ultimate bike, I do have the water/meth injection system sorted (but currently not installed) due to a hose routing issue that cracked my tank (which is unseen under the rear fender).  As for HP, it is strong, but not 200 at the 6-7 psi boost I have it at now and without the water meth injection.  Replace the tank, put the meth injection back on so I can raise the boost a bit and 200 will be eclipsed.  Probably an easy 225+ actually at around 10-12 psi.  I have everything to get there and more, except time and initiative.  I have the new oil lines and fittings to finally replace the bad head fitting that has leaked oil since day one... but they too are just sitting in the box next to the bike.  Tsk Tsk.

Right now I need to thin the herd a bit and probably part with the 06 ZG and the 82 Magna to help finance the Porsche work.  It currently has an LS1/LM7 hybrid 5.3 in it running on a factory ECU.  But I have a couple of other engines I'm considering for it.  A direct injected LT1 from a 2015 C7 is the likeliest candidate and another 5.3 iron block turbo project.  Bu thte LT1 will require huge changes over the current setup.  Nothing interchanges from the current LS setup.  The cooler weather is giving me some ambition to get in the shop, but the current work scheduling is a little in the way... that and I just went on a family cruise that ate up a lot of time.  But stuff will eventually happen if I live long enough. LOL
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #1737 on: September 15, 2018, 11:32:05 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply.
Please get back to it one of these days.
I wanna see it finished!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #1738 on: September 16, 2018, 08:52:55 pm »
This is a great build thread, I sure hope Rev gets motivated and finishes the beast. That would be awesome to have a turbo Connie among us. A turbo bike would be sort of like riding a rodeo bull, crack the throttle and try to hold on for the next 8 seconds.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1739 on: September 17, 2018, 02:15:23 am »
This is a great build thread, I sure hope Rev gets motivated and finishes the beast. That would be awesome to have a turbo Connie among us. A turbo bike would be sort of like riding a rodeo bull, crack the throttle and try to hold on for the next 8 seconds.
It starts, it runs, it rides, it's fast... but it's not really complete.  The thing is, no matter how much I do, it will never be "done" cuz there's always something else to try.  Camshaft centerline changes, timing tables, compression ratios, carbon parts, switch from Audiovox to Rostra type cruise control, maybe a supercharger, the "want" to try stuff is always there and there is always new stuff to try... but until the "want to" matches the "want" it won't happen.  Right now I'm messing with guitar building and the LS powered 928.  But mosquitoes and high temps/humidity as well as work (yeah, a job.  go figure) have been squelching the "want to."  And when I DO get a day to mess around, like tomorrow I'm off, well, offshore jet-ski fishing gets the nod.  Too many things vying for my time and limited energy/resources. 

I'll get back on it and wrench/ride it some more soon and either part out or finish fixing the old turbo Connie as well if the bug just bites to do it.  That thing has been down since it went down 2012.  And I robbed a few major pieces for this newer bike (forks, seat, and some plastics).  And it's Microsquirt is just a version 2 (it works, just not as full featured as the new bike's ECU).    Oh well, if I live long enough I'll get them all going... yeah, right.   ::)
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #1740 on: September 17, 2018, 03:12:14 am »
I've been setting up my own (bass) guitars for a while now.  Built my 1st parts bass out of a
SX P-Bass Body and a Warmoth Jazz style neck...  lots of fun doing the build, and got a great playing axe
to boot.  Wish I had the tools to build from scratch, cuz I'd try it.   :great:

"Wants" and "want tos" will never match, Rev...  The moment you get what you have running right, the
'want to' will mysteriously change...  never ending story I'd say.   :beerchug:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #1741 on: September 20, 2018, 01:35:37 pm »
I've been setting up my own (bass) guitars for a while now.  Built my 1st parts bass out of a
SX P-Bass Body and a Warmoth Jazz style neck...  lots of fun doing the build, and got a great playing axe
to boot.  Wish I had the tools to build from scratch, cuz I'd try it.   :great:

"Wants" and "want tos" will never match, Rev...  The moment you get what you have running right, the
'want to' will mysteriously change...  never ending story I'd say.   :beerchug:
I TEE TOTALLY agree, bro.  A never ending quest.

I too would love to build a guitar (or a thousand) from scratch, but haven't the time, tools, and resources to gitterdun.  But I DID just order some cool quilted maple that'll be in on Monday.  Oh boy, here we go again.  ::)  And I'm jealous of your bass build.  ya oughta post some pix or have you already?

Warmouth ALWAYS has some awesome stuff.  I need to stay off their webpages, but never can.  LOL
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #1742 on: October 03, 2018, 10:59:44 pm »
LS powered 928?!?!?!?!

I am SOOOO in for that thread.  Postings/documentation anywhere?  Seriously, I want o see this!! >:D :great:
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #1743 on: October 04, 2018, 02:24:40 pm »
I heard a rumor that Rev is in the hospital.
Can anyone confirm??

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #1744 on: October 04, 2018, 02:47:50 pm »
Yes, heart attack Monday afternoon. Steve Smith put a note on the forum:

http://forum.cog-online.org/cog-business/cog-ed-chuck-kimball-in-hospital/msg650323/#msg650323

I heard a rumor that Rev is in the hospital.
Can anyone confirm??

Ride safe, Ted
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #1745 on: October 04, 2018, 02:51:27 pm »
Arghhh!!   :-[

Rev, our hopes and prayer's are with ya.

PS: Get well quick.
            We wanna see your "ultimate build" progress..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
« Reply #1746 on: October 05, 2018, 05:12:01 pm »
Sorry to hear this Rev.

Prayers
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue