Author Topic: Thinking of a change  (Read 658 times)

Offline Skisnh

• Moped
  • "better than I deserve"
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Thinking of a change
« on: October 14, 2017, 12:08:34 am »
Hi Guys,
    I have a well sorted 06 with lots of goodies.....I really like the bike, having ridden a couple of newer bikes and the level of refinment is intriguing. The ZG does everything I need. With gold valves, fork brace and a progressive 465 it will out ride me....the bike is beautiful, not a scratch. With all of the badges removed people tell me they always wanted a BMW lol....confused about my motorcycling future.

Would you stay the course with an awesome bike that is easy to work on or explore the dark side of fuel injection and modern suspensions.

SkisNH
2006 zg1000
2007 ktm 250 xcw

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Thinking of a change
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:45:59 am »
How deep are your pockets and how deep in those pockets do you want to dig to explore the modern motorcycle world? If you can afford it and have garage space, I'd say just keep it and go buy the late model bike of your dreams.  The money you get from the 06 isn't gonna change your life if you're well off enough to afford to get a new one.  I have plenty of regrets about getting rid of previous bikes.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 01:09:11 am »
I was sort of in the same boat. Really wanted a bit more technology and for about a grand more I ended up with a year older bit higher mileage bike. Haven't regretted it. (See avatar)
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12480
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
Looking for something similar to the ZG1000? Check out a Versys 650 with a touring pack (avoid the 1000s). It's lighter, peppier, and has modern electronics and suspension. Designed for all riding conditions, get some 60/40 tires on it and take it off road for some fun. MSRP is only $8099 USD (Touring pack additional), and you can find a NoS one for a killer deal occasionally.

Looking for something more comfortable for long distance or cross country? Check out a Goldwing. You can find them at any price range depending on farkles, condition and age. (Have seen them as cheap as $600 running, and $16,000 totally custom) It's a Honda, it'll run forever if you take care of it.

Looking for something a bit more edgy? Buy some life insurance and get a Ninja H2... or a batman costume and a Honda NM4.

Looking to fit in with the Harley crowd but still want to ride with normal people? Check out the Street Rod (not the street 500 or street 750, they have a poor steering and suspension geometry). At $8699 US MSRP it's definitely within the 'second horse in the stable' price range.

Honestly it all just comes down to your preferences and what you want to do with it though. See if there's a motorcycle show coming up in your area, they usually have organized test rides for a variety of bikes, and knowledgeable reps to educate you on what the bike is capable of.

Offline Skisnh

• Moped
  • "better than I deserve"
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:43 am »
Looking for something similar to the ZG1000? Check out a Versys 650 with a touring pack (avoid the 1000s). It's lighter, peppier, and has modern electronics and suspension. Designed for all riding conditions, get some 60/40 tires on it and take it off road for some fun. MSRP is only $8099 USD (Touring pack additional), and you can find a NoS one for a killer deal occasionally.

Looking for something more comfortable for long distance or cross country? Check out a Goldwing. You can find them at any price range depending on farkles, condition and age. (Have seen them as cheap as $600 running, and $16,000 totally custom) It's a Honda, it'll run forever if you take care of it.

Looking for something a bit more edgy? Buy some life insurance and get a Ninja H2... or a batman costume and a Honda NM4.

Looking to fit in with the Harley crowd but still want to ride with normal people? Check out the Street Rod (not the street 500 or street 750, they have a poor steering and suspension geometry). At $8699 US MSRP it's definitely within the 'second horse in the stable' price range.

Honestly it all just comes down to your preferences and what you want to do with it though. See if there's a motorcycle show coming up in your area, they usually have organized test rides for a variety of bikes, and knowledgeable reps to educate you on what the bike is capable of.

One of the guys that inside with has a vstrom that started the dreaded case of the "I wants"....it's a great bike, I think I still would like something that can pushed a bit harder but remain super comfortable for longer sides. I don't ride 2 up often....thinking of vfr? Not sure how they would be for 250mile days.

Right now I just state at craigslist and day dream.
2006 zg1000
2007 ktm 250 xcw

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:31:25 am »
I owned and built Shoodaben, which is with the top 2-3 zg1000's in build and modfifications. I started exploring the c-14, and Shoodaben moved to a new enthusiast. So I guess that explains how I feel about it. Now I have a '12 c-14 with full suspension upgrades and my ECU tuning. WOW, what a bike. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:55 am »
I moved on from my 1964 HONDA Super 90 for a reason. Nostalgia trumps new technology for some bikers... others not so.
Classic bikes end up with a 'following' that $$$ can't buy until the right one comes along. Me? I don't ride enough any more. I'd suggest a long test drive would be the place to start, then get out your wallet if wanting it is killin' you. Locomotiveman
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
Would you stay the course with an awesome bike that is easy to work on or explore the dark side of fuel injection and modern suspensions.

I did not stay the course. Replaced my well farkled '99 with 234xxx miles on it with a slightly used '15 650 Versys. With the exception of missing that I-4 growl coming out of corners(I did ride a C-10 for a while this past weekend) I'm not missing the old tech.

Much better brakes, averaging over 50mpg on regular gas while thrashing it pretty well, quiet, smooth and about 200lbs lighter is pretty much really neat.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:51 pm »
I went to a C-14 and kept my C-10.
I like the C-14 because of {everything} and the wife prefers to ride with me on the C-10.

I seldom ride the C-10 any more, but I let sons or friends ride it occasionally.
When I do ride it, I'm still impressed..
  plus; Nice to have a spare!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline SamSam

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 6191
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:09:10 pm »
Purchased a new 2015 VFR800 deluxe in July.  Haven't had the C10 out since.  At this point going to keep it because I have the room, better long distance ride than the VFR and you can never have too many bikes!
Sal Sammartino
COG #6191; AMA #1107290
2015 VFR800D; 2006 C10; 2001 C10 (lost in fire!); 2009 Honda Metro 50; 2011 buddy 125
If you didn't have a good time its your own fault!

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:20:40 pm »

I did not stay the course. Replaced my well farkled '99 with 234xxx miles on it with a slightly used '15 650 Versys. With the exception of missing that I-4 growl coming out of corners(I did ride a C-10 for a while this past weekend) I'm not missing the old tech.

Much better brakes, averaging over 50mpg on regular gas while thrashing it pretty well, quiet, smooth and about 200lbs lighter is pretty much really neat.

Exactly what I feel about my 2007 Wee-Strom.  But....I still can't part with Mabel the Flying Kaw.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:42 am »

I did not stay the course. Replaced my well farkled '99 with 234xxx miles on it....

Really?  Didn't stay the course with 234k miles?     :D

Yer killin' me Steve...   :beerchug:

I have an extremely well farkeled '06 as well.  I have thought about a new bike, but every time I get on the Connie
it wins me back...  With 50k well kept miles on it, it's barely broken in.  I say go with it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:51:16 am by Mcfly »
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:25 am »

What's wrong with the Versys 1000s? I honestly don't know and the Versys has been a contender for Connie replacement for a while now. I don't know if I could bear to part with this thing though, I've done so much, it's almost as much a part of me as the '78 CB750 I built from nuts and bolts (which I don't think I could *ever* sell...)

The thing that kills me is I know how much better modern brakes can be, and I know how efficient FI can be. I've had a Katana 750 (not a sport bike I know, but even those brakes are lightyears ahead of the Connie) and a Vulcan 900 with FI, which spoiled me for simplicity when it comes to riding. Much as I hate always having that 'to do' list over my head when it comes to fixing and maintenance, I like garage time. And if I'm honest, I prefer problem solving engine/fuel stuff than chassis stuff, which is what I'd be relegated to on an FI bike.

To top it all off, no manufacturer seems to have either a sub-1000cc sport-tourer, or ANYTHING sub-1000cc with a shaft drive. Engine size maybe inconsequential to you American riders, but in Canada, bikes over 1000cc carry absurd insurance premiums.