Author Topic: Throttle cable question  (Read 361 times)

Offline aranlar

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Throttle cable question
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:32:28 am »
New to this so this may be basic stuff to some of you... I was messing with the throttle cable adjustment and felt a "snap". I took apart the assembly and found my cable end looks like the one in the first pic where the curved piece is free. I assume that it should be attached to the rest of the end piece like it appears to be in the second pic and am looking at full cable replacement?

Offline SamSam

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6191
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle cable question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:40:19 pm »
Looks like you turned the adjuster the wrong way and snapped the plastic housing.  New cable needs to be installed.  Can be done with carbs in place but much easier with them out.  Good luck!
Sal Sammartino
COG #6191; AMA #1107290
2015 VFR800D; 2006 C10; 2001 C10 (lost in fire!); 2009 Honda Metro 50; 2011 buddy 125
If you didn't have a good time its your own fault!

Offline aranlar

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
Yep, figured as much after looking at example pics of good cables. Ordered the cable from Murph's and the carbs will be coming out as I haven't done the cable before so will need to eyeball it.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:56 am »
FYI:  With the carbs installed, I found it much easier to remove/install the new pull cable by using some means to hold the throttle wide open (I used a string to hold the linkage in that position).  That will put the end of the cable where it fastens to the throttle linkage on top.  With the adjusting nuts loose and the cable housing free from the linkage, you should able to working the end out/in.  Also, hemostats can be very handy for this operation (no pun intended).  Pad the tips or don't clamp down too hard.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:47:36 pm by Jim »

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:43:12 pm »
If you're going to pull the carbs, I suggest that you watch SISF's video a couple of times before you start. Might save you some frustration in both the removal and reinstallation. DAMHIK. >:(
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »
I think you will be better off not removing the carbs. When loosening the adjusting nuts to get the old cable out, note how much thread is exposed beyond each nut - top and bottom. You will need the bottom nut to be in about the same position on the new cable. Loosen the top nut with a 10mm wrench several turns and the cable should come out of the bracket. Long needle nosed pliers or long hemostats are helpful to get the cable out of the linkage. Harbor Freight is your friend for these.

As Ranger Jim said, a long pair of hemostats will make the job easier. The carb butterflies need to be open; you can tie them several ways - a tie-wrap works pretty good. With the butterflies open, the entry point for the cable end is accessible and visible.

It will be easier to put the carb end of the new cable in first, before the grip end. Lay the cable across the seat to the rear of the bike. This will let you have an easier angle to get the cable end into the linkage. Once it is in, cut the tie-wrap but don't let the linkage slam closed. Lead the cable up to the grip. The Kawi shop manual shows the cable routing. Place the threaded barrel into the bracket on the carbs and tighten the nut on the top - the bottom one should be at the same position as the old cable before installing the cable. 

You will be uttering a few choice words doing it this way, but not as many as you would taking the carbs out. If you do that, you will be dealing with carb boots and springs, the air box, both throttle cables, enrichener cable, etc. Hope this helps.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »
I agree.
Watch Steve's video's first.
I also agree, do the install with the carbs in the bike..
Suggestions;
As they sed, use extra long needle nose pliers or hemostats (both available at harbor freight)
As you have to replace the cable anyway, disconnect the cables from the throttle to make it easier.
Use something to open the butterfly to full throttle to do the return cable.

Installation takes a bit, you might have to walk away a few times,,, but it's the easiest way to do the cable install to me..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline aranlar

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:24:34 am »
Thanks for the tips guys, will be tackling it this weekend and will report back.

Offline aranlar

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
Replaced the cables yesterday. Ended up taking the carbs out anyway, partly to make it easier to get the cable ends in and also just to see how hard it would be compared to Steve's video. Heat gun and hose pick tool made it easy enough. All wrapped up and ready for road!

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:24 pm »
 :great: :beerchug: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: