Author Topic: Throttle cables , length  (Read 371 times)

Offline Big Mike

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Throttle cables , length
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:19:44 pm »
I own an 05 Connie , and want to replace the handle bars . I have already purchased the adapter that accepts older style handle bars , Now I need to know the length of the factory throttle cables so I  can  order longer cables based on how much further the reach will be with the replacement bars .please. 
2005 Connie  CHP Gold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Throttle cables , length
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:56 pm »
I own an 05 Connie , and want to replace the handle bars . I have already purchased the adapter that accepts older style handle bars , Now I need to know the length of the factory throttle cables so I  can  order longer cables based on how much further the reach will be with the replacement bars .please.

The early model, (86-88) bars, were lower, so whatever cables are on your '05, are already long enough.

Now, if you are actually replacing the OEM "style" bars, with Tubular bars, then you rally need to disclose "what exact bars / configuration / height / size / dimensions you plan to utilize"  When I did the tubular bars, and used Daytona and Superbike bends (I had 2 bikes), the stock length stuff worked fine.. If you add rise, or extended height/pull back, you will need to install the bars, and then go from there, and measure the added needs.. hoses, and cables, both can be found at Murph's kits, a COG industry vendor.. best of luck.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:55:17 am »
Simple solution. Re-routing the throttle cables to the right side of the main frame top tube will give you 3" to 4" of slack. I ran Daytona bars with a Storz adaptor for years with the stock length throttle cables. The only cable I had to order was an extended choke cable.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Big Mike

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 03:52:04 am »
I have purchased a few different tubular bars , one being a 12 inch ape hanger and another supposedly like the Honda Nighthawk , I  am going to measure from the existing end , and add  to the number given to me here , when ordering the new longer cables . Thank you for all your help.
2005 Connie  CHP Gold

Offline Big Mike

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 03:55:55 am »
So if the difference is 8" , I  will add that to the factory length when ordering , and have all my  parts ready Before hand .
2005 Connie  CHP Gold

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:02:51 am »
You probably don't need to change your throttle cables at all.  8" would be a LOT.

See the link below I posted some time ago - I have some 7/8 in. bars that are wider, higher and more pullback than Heli-Bars and only needed to extend brake lines.  The other OEM stuff were rerouted and work fine.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/bar-risers-76895/msg669756/#msg669756
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 
He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Big Mike

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:06 am »
Thank You All  for your help , I decided to purchase used cables and take them with me when ordering the longer version ,  I will also order a used Choke cable , and used Hydraulic lines ; for the same reason .  If There  are variations available , these used parts will identify which are needed .

Thank's  Mike
2005 Connie  CHP Gold