Author Topic: Ticking sound from engine  (Read 409 times)

Offline PaulW_ON

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Ticking sound from engine
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:51:48 pm »
I have a ticking sound coming from the engine above 3500 rpm. I have checked the valve clearances and they seem to be within spec. The bike still pulls good way up to 8000 rpm and of course the ticking gets louder. What am I missing here? Perhaps it is not the tappets and an exhaust leak at one of the exhaust pipes where it is bolted to the head. They usually have a copper O ring as a gasket and might need replacement. It takes a long time to take off all the plastic just to get to the engine and I would like to get this problem fixed. Any suggestions would be helpful. I don't believe any Japanese inline four should be doing this. All of my other bikes did not do this.
Thanks
PCW

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
Re: Ticking sound from engine
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:22:40 am »
Mine ticks like a sewing machine. Especially after I loosened the valves. These bikes make a lot of different noises.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:54:05 am »
What year is the bike? How many miles do you have on the bike. Worn cam chain guides? Can you tell what side the noise is coming from. Will the noise be there at 4k rpm in neutral? Normally the cam chain should get tighter as the bike warms up. The alternator chain is usually noisiest at start up. Did you perform the bent rod test when you checked the valve clearance? When the valves are adjusted correctly they are a little noisy, happy valves=Tappy valves! but shouldn't get more noisy as the bike warms up and not more noisy in the high rpm.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline PaulW_ON

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:20:34 am »
The bike is a 1997 and has 30,000k on it. At least that is what the speedo reads otherwise the bike looks clean and well taken care of.

I did not know about the bent rod test. Do these bikes normally bend rods? That might happen if the bike was raced or a previous owner poured oil or too much fogging spray down the cylinders before winter storage. If he put the plugs back in and then turned over this could cause a hydrolick lock that could bend a rod.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 04:45:14 pm »
Yes these bike do bend rods. You dont hear about it that often because we only hear about catastrophic failures. there are many many more out there that dont even know they have a slightly bent rod which manifests itself as lower compression in a cylinder.
you bend a rod when you start the engine because our bikes do not have over flow tubes which are designed to prevent hydrolock
Install overflow tubes ASAP
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 01:02:46 am »
   Bent rods and other things you should know!!

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc