Author Topic: Top motor mount bolts with tipover bars  (Read 364 times)

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
Top motor mount bolts with tipover bars
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:22:45 am »
I've installed the Rivco tip over bars on both my bikes (98 C-10 & 04 C-10) on both bikes the left side bolt has broken twice and the right side once on the 04. I've gone to a higher grade of bolts but they too fail. In all cases the bolt broke about 1" from the end (threaded end). Before the Rivcos there was never an issue with any of the engine mounting points.

What sort of stress is causing these bolts to so predictably fail? Everything snugs up well - the correct spacer and a flat washer on the outer (wrenching end)  of the bolt. The bars have had no impacts and have had an easy and uneventful life but replacing broken bolts is now becoming part of my routine regular maintenance and it shouldn't be.

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
Re: Top motor mount bolts with tipover bars
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »
Thanks! I had not seen that thread before.

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
Re: Top motor mount bolts with tipover bars
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 09:53:42 pm »
Yes, the shimming and proper torque are of utmost importance for keeping the upper engine mount bolts in one piece.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"