Author Topic: Towing with the C-10, general questions.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Mikenasty89

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Towing with the C-10, general questions.
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:01:00 pm »
Hey there! So riding while towing is a bit into the future for me I still wanted to ask a few questions about it. Tips, tricks, materials ect. My goal is to be able to take my connie camping, bring behind a trailer loaded with fun or.... dunno if its possible but a RV trailer? Like the pop up tent kind or the small tear drop ones. Is there a certain hitch connie riders like? Weight limits? Is there a particular trailer that is extra good for just general gear hauling? Or even a rv company that sells motorcycle specific rv trailers? Just kinda curious,  I've got plenty of time to research its a "someday in 30 years when i retire and ride the country" kinda thing hauling a tent camper in my hover bike in the new republic of can-mer-ico. Ha but id imagine that a trailer for just hauling stuff wouldnt be too expensive and attainable within my small budget. And as always i appreciate you COGs taking time to help.
-Michael G.

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Towing with the C-10, general questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:00:41 pm »
I've been towing trailers with other bikes for about
twenty years.  I'm in the process of moving everything
over to my C-10 in preparation for a cross country
trip next year. The C-10 is better at "long haul" than
my sportier bikes.
Anyhow, to get an idea of what it's like to tow a trailer,
get a large friend ( at least 250# ) to be a passenger
and go for a ride. Fast, slow. Curvy, straight. Local, highway.
Try starting out uphill, stopping on a downhill. And then
try a u-turn.
If your comfortable with all that then you'll have no
problem towing a trailer.
It'll just be a little slower, longer than you're used to.

Offline TJSocal

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12519
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »
Hey there! So riding while towing is a bit into the future for me I still wanted to ask a few questions about it. Tips, tricks, materials ect. My goal is to be able to take my connie camping, bring behind a trailer loaded with fun or.... dunno if its possible but a RV trailer? Like the pop up tent kind or the small tear drop ones. Is there a certain hitch connie riders like? Weight limits? Is there a particular trailer that is extra good for just general gear hauling? Or even a rv company that sells motorcycle specific rv trailers? Just kinda curious,  I've got plenty of time to research its a "someday in 30 years when i retire and ride the country" kinda thing hauling a tent camper in my hover bike in the new republic of can-mer-ico. Ha but id imagine that a trailer for just hauling stuff wouldnt be too expensive and attainable within my small budget. And as always i appreciate you COGs taking time to help.
-Michael G.

I can't imagine that it would be fun, comfortable or good for the bike to tow any sort of a camping trailer. I think if I wanted that kind of scenario I'd flip it - get a van conversion and a utility trailer, tow the bike, establish a "base camp" and ride from there. You could do multi-day loops with camping gear on the bike, or even do a point-to-point ride and take public transportation back to the Winnie.

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 02:12:39 pm »
Hitch Doc, http://www.hitchdoc.com/ is what I've been using for 20+ years pulling a cargo trailer.
Loading for whatever style trailer you have is very important. 
You might be surprised what you can pick up for a used cargo trailer if you look around. It is really great when I did a lot of two up camping, all the camping gear in the trailer and room on the bike for us. I still use it solo camping, nice to not have to figure out loading/strapping to get from point a - point b. , put it in the trailer (make sure the weight is balance correctly) and go.

Biggest overall aspect I noticed, you gotta remember the trailer is behind you, especially in curves.
With that, for me, the trailer was most noticeable in the curves, curved hwy exit ramps, ect. Any decel, throttle roll off, using a brake, whatever, during a decel I can feel the trailer  trying to 'stand-up' the bike up. Not scary aggressively, just felt different and you have to be aware of that aspect. My trailer also has a swivel hitch (the hitch 'rotates' on the tongue when the bike leans) which I feel is very nice. The swivel hitch may not be an absolute necessity but I like knowing it's setup that way.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
When I was in my early 20's, I had an 83 Suzuki GS1100E that I pulled a cargo trailer with.  Did a camping trip to land between the lakes down in KY for a week.  We took a big cooler and a tabletop gas grill on that trip, along with a ton of other stuff.  Learned about coons and coolers on that trip too. My dad was a tool and die maker and made a trailer hitch for that bike.  It did really well.  As stated before, you have to do everything slower and remember that the trailer is back there and your bike just got a bunch longer.  Standing on the brakes should probably be avoided if possible.  Recently my son picked up a home made trailer that uses a hard shell car top carrier.  The trailer itself was probably something like harbor freight would sell.  It's got a cooler on the tongue and even lift supports to hold the lid up.....and carpeting inside even.  Paid $160 for it!  What a steal!  Keep your eyes open and you will run into something like that eventually. 

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:23 pm »
The C10 is fully capable of hauling a moderatly loaded Harbor freight "toter trailer" when combined with a good hitch system as Vic notes above..
I never hauled one on my old Conni, but I have put extensive mile two up and also solo, with my C14, and can say without a doubt I really should have considered it on my C10.
It all boils down to packing effectively, and centering the load over the axle on the trailer, and never mounting crap on the tongue end tube, you want the "hitch" point as neutral as possible, but never lighter than that, I suggest keeping that ball hitch end at about 15-20 lbs, which works great.
I don't need a "camper", as the H/F toter has capacity to haul a nice tent, cooking supplies, chairs, rain flys, extra clothes, lanterns, fuel/propane, and even a small propane tank (they make mini ones now, like 5-10 pounders) along with a propane tank mounted "upright outlet stick" with enough connection points for a top mounted lantern, a cookstove, and other stuff...

These are awesome

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11196628&KPID=9510410&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Grill_Tools/Parts/Accessories&pla=pla_9510410&k_clickid=a6c190fb-c190-4ce1-96f6-6f765a957d04

Add in one of these, and some hoses... fully happy cooking and camping...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-3-Outlet-30-rdquo-Propane-Distribution-Post/19426441?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=db3e333a-1133-4f74-81e9-06297ecdabf3&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=db3e333a-1133-4f74-81e9-06297ecdabf3&item_id=19426441&parent_anchor_item_id=13848693&parent_item_id=13848693&placement_id=irs-106-t1&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=Qm1SrHt3bFRfxJr63s2J3M
My loaded H/F trailer has room for all that, and even let's me stick my saddlebags in there, fully loaded with my normal "riding" supplies of tools and parts, I locate it behind the axle, as it really helps balance stuff out.

Best spent money I ever did, because I can go "on tour" with momma, and have everything I need....even an air bed.
Loaded, I have to say the trailer weighs about 300# and I can't tell its back there, even on twisties...
Like I say, just don't over load the tongue..
Buy "soft foldable" coolers and fill them at the last place you can get ice, and enjoy...

I really enjoythe fact I can go to a national Forest, and carry a shotgun, handgun, and ammo, for my camp also...
Ymmv
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:07:47 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Mikenasty89

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:37:09 pm »
Ya i didnt even think about that! While riding around with a shotgun looks cool in terminator 1, carrying it in a tralier would be a lot safer. Getting some great tips thanks. Give me a good goal to shoot for. Keep my eye out for a trailer and modify it slighly for camping.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »
There was a post about a hitch for sale a few weeks ago.

I thing it was     stan.visser@sbcglobal.net

Maybe it's what your be looking for.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 11:56:56 am »
Howdy, I have a goldwing and a time-out camper, and can speak to all this.

Depending on the camper, the C10 isnt the best option. My timeout is the heaviest of the motocampers, but I did transport it from chicago to indianapolis without much problem when I first bought it. The goldwing is a necessity for it. The C10 got about 20MPG coming back from chicago with the camper, but admittedly, I was not riding slow. If you have/want a passenger too, forget about it. Now, some of the other camper options like the kwik kamp, might be OK on the connie. I dont know how much they weigh, or what their tongue weight is, but again, dont expect to take a passenger as well....so that might hinder your decision. If you get a camper, get a GL1500 at least. 6 cylinders, torque, you're ready to camp in style.

The C10 will definitely NOT handle a teardrop camper.

Now, if you like tent camping, the harbor freight tag-along trailer is perfect! Doesnt weigh much, tracks straight, and holds a lot. The C10 frame just isn't robust enough either to handle lots of towing....I think there is a thread around here somewhere that showed someone who had towed a LOT with the C10, and their frame was all tweaked out. Now, if we look at the cost of the concours, buying another one is like, eh whatever, but keep it in mind.

You can always check out motocampers.com and get some ideas there.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:12 pm »
FWIW, I'm planning to add a trailer to this setup so that I can tow my enduro bike with me.  The C10 has been great for my sidecar setup, so see no reason why it won't do a great job with the trailer on the back.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Mikenasty89

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:47:47 pm »
Thanks dboogie, i appeciate the input and experience. Sports thats a badass sidecar, how does it handle with that attached? That looks fun to ride in the sidecar.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 03:55:14 am »
FWIW, I'm planning to add a trailer to this setup so that I can tow my enduro bike with me.  The C10 has been great for my sidecar setup, so see no reason why it won't do a great job with the trailer on the back.

im interested in this as well, i wouldnt mind towing one of my small lightweight bikes up to the mts (my honda grom (220 lbs) or lightweight rd (261lbs), ). whats the total weight capacity of towing with one of these hitches (hitch doc for example)? thanks.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 06:05:13 am »
While the C10 can safely haul.about 250#, to a questionable max of 300#, as long as the weght on the tongue at the ball is balanced to give 20# at the ball, its more of an issue of C/G on the actual loading more than just a weight thing...
We have experimentd with home made trailers, and heavy loads, but the problem is the C/G really can't be more than  8" above the top of the tire, based on a 10" rim tire...
Straight line is fine, but once you apply the torque, of weights above that, on the frame and wheelbase, it rapidly get squirrely, and downright dangerous as this C/G rises.
So a 300# bike, + the actual trailer weight(approx 150-175#) will easily flip, and or cause the bike to loose control due to weight transfers in turns. And you still have almost 500# of force pushing when you try to slow down... not a good ratio of pulling bike mass vs pulled mass...
I made some 3D solid Cad models during design stages, and even making a custom trailer, with a "drop axle" to allow the tire mounting rail to locate so the tire sits about 8-10" max off the ground, side forces were still too great to chance it.
The C10, and C14, both handle fine, with a 170# load, in the Harbor Freight "toter" trailer, but if you excede the height rule, even on that trailer, things get out of control fast...  case in point, I placed 180# of sandbags in the trailer, centered over the axle... and hauled it thru twisties.. never had a glitch, even braking in turns, downhill...
Then, placed 100# of sandbags in trailer,.same location, and 70# in a milk crate, tightly cinch strapped to.the top of the shell... it was so dangerous I cut the testing short within the first 3 miles,.never even tested braking on downhills, and simple curves in the road exhibited so much stearing and trailer movements, and out of balance feel, I couldn't risk it further...
Mind you, this was on my C14, with far surperior brakes, stiffer frame, bigger tires, and more modern design.. and using a really robust trailer hitch which had robust bracing, and wide and even, strong hard point mountings compared to wht is on a C10.

Feel.free.to.create.something, but I'm just giving a heads up, before anyone dumps a bunch of $$$$ to find what I found... a bike sitting high,.with the handlebars tied down to the frame of the trailer, even a low C/G trailer, is one heck of a lot of leverage, even tho the actual "up top.weight" isn't extreme,.the leverage is the killer, making the trailer want to lift a tire... and flop over.

So while Daves sidecar rig, by design, and its mountings to the "hauling bike" work great, and the C/G is well withing the safe "sweetspot", and also off to the side, the bike.hauling bike thing.... mmmmmmmm not a reccomneded adventure.

Be safe.
I also.did some.designs for a type of small,.2 wheel thing the towed bikes front tire could mount on,.kinda like a car carrier "front end dolly", and even that didn't.give me any confidence, seeing as it takes some robust starpping and shock absorbance, along with dampers to prevent sway... and after all that,.you are still.hauling the towed bike,.with its rear tire burning on down the road, putting wear on it,.the chain/shaft, and bearings associated with it. In the end I gave up on that one also.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:21:22 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 11:52:26 am »
good info. exactly what i was looking for, makes a lot of sense.  :great:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 08:34:59 pm »
That is some good test results you provided there MOB. The loading of the trailer is very important.

I follow that rule when traveling with side cases and top case loaded. Lightest stuff in the top case, and of course the heaviest stuff in the bottom of the side cases.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 09:18:41 pm »
The thing that surprised me most, when I put a sandbag in the milk crate up top, was the leverage /weight transfer thing.. even tho I was carrying sand inside the traile as before, that one bag up top, sitting maybe 18-24" above the inside bottom of the trailer shell, made me think twice...

I had been considering purchasing one of those 3' x4'x 12" high rubber cartopper bags, for use in carrying stuff that didn't really need to go inside the trunk, like tent, matress, camp chairs, cookstove... vs.clothes, bedding, ttols of value.. guns...etc...

I may still get one, as the surface area let's the weight be spread out wider, and held lower against the lid... and, I still won't excede the 300# loading I been pulling, unless it works out, and I'm riding solo.  I just don't want to be replacing a clutch just yet...
Last trip with wife, we had about 300# on the axle, and our return from Brevard NC to Ohio was a bit puckery... as we drove thru a tornado in W.Va. for about 60 miles beginning to end... there were wind speeds crossways gusting at least 60 mph at times, and we were often running in the 20 mph zone.. luckily we had that weight, as it kept us from being blown off the road as I continued in attempts to "drive thru it to the good side"... 4 ways on bike and trailer all flashing.. very scary...when hitting bumps on the flooded roadway, the trailer would hop sideways 6" from the wind, before settling down, while hydroplaning another20 feet down the road...  and then the tires gripped... all turned out fine, but it was a 2 hour pucker... at one point, we realized we were THE ONLY people making forward progress on rt 77... and when we decided to stop, and check the weather at an off freeway gast stop, people drove up to us, and said " we been following you for the last half hour.... you are one crazy mofo... " and gave the thumbs up...

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:59:02 am »
That is some good test results you provided there MOB. The loading of the trailer is very important.

I follow that rule when traveling with side cases and top case loaded. Lightest stuff in the top case, and of course the heaviest stuff in the bottom of the side cases.

Yes, yes it is:

:-\
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 01:13:07 pm »
 :-\ :)) :-\ :))
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:04 pm »

Yes, yes it is:

:-\

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao: :great: :great: :beerchug:

Leave it to my "Mentor and Guru" to reveal the total secret to comfy camping.... forget the sink, just bring a comfy toilet along, and a tire....

I have to admit, at first I thought "no way" of me ever pulling a trailer... until I followed GBYII for many miles, and realized... hell, might as well....

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:10 pm »
There has to be a good story behind that haul, unless it was just to confirm that weight could be hauled.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:25 am »
I think it was right after the bathroom renovation, and it was on the way to the bulky trash center...

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
I think it was right after the bathroom renovation, and it was on the way to the bulky trash center...

Yup, commode replace in the small bathroom. Couldn't see firing up the RAM, so just stuffed the stuff in the bike trailer to haul it to the convenience center.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:40 pm »
got this installed.  got the ball on too, but no pic.  ready for a trial run towing something.   :great:
North Carolina AAD

Offline Mikenasty89

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:41 am »
Im really interested on how your sidecar trailer will work. Such a cool idea for a hardcore towing setup. Tons of storage space. Badass. Maybe the only way i can convince my lady to ride with me is a sidecar....or get her one of her own.....but shes crazy enough with her 89 volvo battering ram....

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 04:58:35 pm »
Im really interested on how your sidecar trailer will work. Such a cool idea for a hardcore towing setup. Tons of storage space. Badass. Maybe the only way i can convince my lady to ride with me is a sidecar....or get her one of her own.....but shes crazy enough with her 89 volvo battering ram....

here's a pic of the nearly finished product.  the push to the right during acceleration is very significant.  once at cruising speed, it evens out well.  Braking would be a similar (but opposite) experience but I have a brake on the sidecar, so with the rear bike wheel and sidecar, it's nice and even.  The height of the bike is a little problematic at the moment because the trailer is not all that wide.  then again, sidecars are not made for speedy cornering, so with just a little cornering care, I should be fine.  with a car carrier / turtle, I would think it easier to deal with.
North Carolina AAD