Author Topic: Transmission smell  (Read 159 times)

Offline andyfield

• Tricycle
    • Andy Field, Voice Actor
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Transmission smell
« on: May 02, 2018, 06:27:01 pm »
I feel like I'm the only one posting here.  Forgive me; I'm new to the Connie!  Today I started smelling that transmission smell, kind of like the smell if you're pulling a trailer behind a stick shift that's too weak for the trailer. 

Any insights? 
1984 Honda Shadow
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan
2004 BMW R1150-RTP
1990 Kawasaki Concours

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12674
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Transmission smell
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:41:25 pm »
Maybe not your transmission, but maybe overheated brakes?  Is your rear brake sticking or do you perhaps rest your toe on your brake pedal?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Transmission smell
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:20:25 pm »
If it smells like a "burning clutch plate" or "overheated brakes", and after looking at the brakes and pads find them fine,
Go directly to the left side of the bike, remove the sidecover, and follow the wires from the alternator back up to the harness that lives behind and left of the starter solenoid relay... you may need to dig a bit,

This smell is very common when you get a meltdown on the 2 blade connector from the alternator to the harness, its a white nylon plug..
Are there any additional lights on the bike? Or additional "current eating devices" installed?

Even if not, that connector, after time, becomes a resistive connection, its an invisible coating on the blades, causing enough heat to melt it down, and result in the leads shorting out... very tell tale smell, and it pops up with no warning... I've seen dozens fail, and it will leave you on the side of the road when it happens...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW