Author Topic: Tripmeters not working  (Read 311 times)

Offline Gplouff

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Tripmeters not working
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:14 am »
I have a 99 C10 with 34k miles that I just picked up for super cheap.  It has only one problem: neither of the tripmeters are working. They are both reset to zero, and that is where they stay.  The reset button seems to be working, and both the speedo and odometer work fine.   Is this a known issue, because I haven’t been able to find anything in searches?

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: Tripmeters not working
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:18 pm »
I had my speedo/instrument cluster open once for another reason, and I recall the odo's are driven by some plastic gears from the shaft that operates the speedo.  If you haven't taken the instrument panel out before, it isn't that hard.  Remove the windshield to access the upper center screw that secures the glare shield, then there are some small nuts that hold the instrument cluster in place on the front fairing frame.  I can't recall if you have to remove the mirrors and loosen the top portion of the front fairing or not.  Maybe someone else can chime in with that answer.

You'll have to pull the electrical plugs and the speedo drive cable, of course.  Some screws hold the instrument cluster together, take those out and you can split the plastic case and see inside.  I suspect the plastic gears may have broken, worn out or got jarred out of position somehow.

All this is predicated on other external troubleshooting not finding an issue.  I don't know what external issue there could be, though, as it is all driven off of the speedo cable from the front wheel, no electrics or anything else involved.  I've been on this forum for a few years and don't recall having heard of this problem before.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Gplouff

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:26 pm »
I’m thinking the same thing, some plastic gear broken or somehow out of position, perhaps from an overzealous button push.   I have a similar issue on an old GS1100.  On that bike, the reset button barely engages and just barely goes deep enough to spin the dials completely to zero, in which case it will no longer accumulate.  In that case, I know the instrument cluster housing has at least a couple broken screw tabs,  so the two halves of the casing are not held firmly together.

Fortunately I found the tutorial on bulb changes, which shows how the cluster comes out, so that’s where I’m headed next.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 05:21:09 pm »
Used clusters are available on Ebay for around $35. Get one with close to the same mileage (or not - because frankly who cares if you document) and be done with it.