Author Topic: Tubular handle bar vibration  (Read 482 times)

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Tubular handle bar vibration
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:09:08 am »
My bike came with these aftermarket bars and do they vibrate. Someone told me folks fill them with something to absorb vibration. What would be the best thing to fill them with?  I have murphs bar weights and grips already.
2006 Kawasaki Concours
2006 Harley Heritage (sold)

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Tubular handle bar vibration
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:34:48 am »
I just put tube bars on mine with grip puppies over the grips and find feels much better than stock vibration wise .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline rgmr250

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 01:59:01 am »
I, personally, noticed more vibration after putting the tubular bars on. I was expecting less vibration. On my KLR650, I filled the bars with BB's - they helped.
1993 ZG1000

Offline ZXtasy

• Street Cruiser
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:37:52 am »
You can spend stupid money on a bar snake, or like I have done on 3 bikes including my current ZX-10, for a few bucks get some 5/8" or 1/2"O.D. poly tubing and fill with small lead shot, lube the outside and snake it into the bar. Removes lots of vibes!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:47:57 pm »
 before spending more money, adding more weight inside, try removing the bar weights you have on them currently, and test again...
I ran tubular bars on both of my C10's, and neither of them vibrated/buzzed, nor did I add any bar end weights...
But then again, they didn't buzz prior to the tubular bars either..  :-X :-X

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:20 am »
I ran tubular bars on my 02 for over 10 years with no vibration and they had no bar end weights.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 12:50:11 am »
Guess i better check all the motor mounts and such. Mostly vibrates between 75-85. Dead smooth at 90 or more. Those open New Mexico prairies were fun!   Anyway, back to Dallas with a few numb fingers but the feeling is coming back.  :))
2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 12:52:19 am »
How about concrete?  Sounds dumb but is it?  Very dense and heavy. Vibration crack it up?  It’s cheap though.
2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:05:36 pm »
i may be cheap, but if it doesn't help, reversal/removal will cost you for new bars.. not really cheap then.

And even tho "dense and solid and heavy", it may just vibe at a different frequency even moreso annoying, like at a lower rpm range when it picks up those harmonic vibrations.. even solid steel "could vibe" at the right frequency..

Just do some things that are reversible... best option, that was noted, Is to find some clear thin wall vinyl tubing, that will fit inside the bars and push from end to end with lube on the exterior.. then you can fill that with lead shot, like #7 birdshot, packed in there and mixed with some bathtub caulking on the ends to seal the hose... yo can pull it all out if you don't like it...

I actually did this on a set of bars for a friend, but he didn't want to use the "Hose" idea, and we filled it with lead shot and RTV... packed it in there tight with dowel rods.. and when it set up it was worse than it was before we did it.. but oddly we had success on a different bike, doing the exact same thing... so it was all related to the frequency that set the vibration vs the ability of the packing to break up that frequency.. so "solid" ain't always the cure, the vibrations induced, need to be absorbed, and dampened by the "minute" movements of the mass being used.. i.e. the lead shot...
You'll have to find someone that reloads shotgun shells to get that shot tho, it's not cheap, and you have to buy it in a big bag..

Cheapest version might just be the same hose idea, Filled with sand.... and sealed on the ends with a rubber stopper and rtv.
That surely would provide the most mass and ability to "absorb" much more than concrete... less messy also.

best of luck
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:15:00 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:57 am »
I agree with MOB in that you really only move the vibes around with weights.

Here's another option I've used successfully on my standard 7/8 bar conversions:

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/mounting-bar-end-weights/msg639818/#msg639818

I have also wrapped the grips with gel tape used for softball bats and tennis rackets.  Works for me.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 08:34:19 pm »
i may be cheap, but if it doesn't help, reversal/removal will cost you for new bars.. not really cheap then.

And even tho "dense and solid and heavy", it may just vibe at a different frequency even moreso annoying, like at a lower rpm range when it picks up those harmonic vibrations.. even solid steel "could vibe" at the right frequency..

Just do some things that are reversible... best option, that was noted, Is to find some clear thin wall vinyl tubing, that will fit inside the bars and push from end to end with lube on the exterior.. then you can fill that with lead shot, like #7 birdshot, packed in there and mixed with some bathtub caulking on the ends to seal the hose... yo can pull it all out if you don't like it...

I actually did this on a set of bars for a friend, but he didn't want to use the "Hose" idea, and we filled it with lead shot and RTV... packed it in there tight with dowel rods.. and when it set up it was worse than it was before we did it.. but oddly we had success on a different bike, doing the exact same thing... so it was all related to the frequency that set the vibration vs the ability of the packing to break up that frequency.. so "solid" ain't always the cure, the vibrations induced, need to be absorbed, and dampened by the "minute" movements of the mass being used.. i.e. the lead shot...
You'll have to find someone that reloads shotgun shells to get that shot tho, it's not cheap, and you have to buy it in a big bag..

Cheapest version might just be the same hose idea, Filled with sand.... and sealed on the ends with a rubber stopper and rtv.
That surely would provide the most mass and ability to "absorb" much more than concrete... less messy also.

best of luck

Those are some good thoughts. I appreciate the time and will try some of your ideas.

Paul
2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 09:25:17 pm »
how about showing a picture of your bar mounts, and what bars you are using also... that would help in giving an idea about the "mass/configuration" you are dealing with.. something we have not been shown..
maybe a simple change in "bar style" would cure it all, for like $20 for some bars.. and you may find the different bars and setup even more comfortable..
My C10's were fitted with Daytona and also Superbike bar bend styles, mounted in Murph's KB bar mounts... I liked the lower but wider/flatter/less angled wrist positions much more over the stock C10 setups.

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 12:16:39 am »
how about showing a picture of your bar mounts, and what bars you are using also... that would help in giving an idea about the "mass/configuration" you are dealing with.. something we have not been shown..
maybe a simple change in "bar style" would cure it all, for like $20 for some bars.. and you may find the different bars and setup even more comfortable..
My C10's were fitted with Daytona and also Superbike bar bend styles, mounted in Murph's KB bar mounts... I liked the lower but wider/flatter/less angled wrist positions much more over the stock C10 setups.

Here you go....thanks
2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:47 pm »
AHHHHHHHH,,,,,  now I get it, those aren't just "tubular" bars, they are Heli-Adjustable Bars... can't help ya on those, other than saying try them without the bar ends... with all the adjustment clamps and oddities of those bars, I can see why they may buzz.. and to be quite honest, they aren't my cup of tea, as all the bikes I've ridden that had them on all felt wonky to me..

sorry. :-X :-X :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:33 am »
AHHHHHHHH,,,,,  now I get it, those aren't just "tubular" bars, they are Heli-Adjustable Bars... can't help ya on those, other than saying try them without the bar ends... with all the adjustment clamps and oddities of those bars, I can see why they may buzz.. and to be quite honest, they aren't my cup of tea, as all the bikes I've ridden that had them on all felt wonky to me..

They are literally setup like my sons stock bars. I tried different positions like more forward or down but those riding positions are not comfortable long distance. The only thing I do like about them is the middle / cross bar that I attach my ram mount and phone.

What kind of handlebars do you have ?

Are loose motor mounts known to cause vibration?

Thanks
Paul.
2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 08:54:38 pm »

They are literally setup like my sons stock bars. I tried different positions like more forward or down but those riding positions are not comfortable long distance. The only thing I do like about them is the middle / cross bar that I attach my ram mount and phone.

What kind of handlebars do you have ?

Are loose motor mounts known to cause vibration?

Thanks
Paul.

loose motormounts will add to vibes, that's for sure, probably the main cause when people with the OEM bars complain about vibes...

I have tubular bar mounts from Murph's, mery simple base pieces that mount in the normal fashion, but allow a tubular bar (again, common tubular bars) to mount on them. Because those Heli-Bars stick up, and are quite big, they act like a tuning fork.. being free to oscillate. Add to that the weight of all those junctions and adjustment clamps, and there is the cause.
You may be able to buy "simple" one piece tubular bars, that satisfy your "reach/comfort" that will actually mount on that Heli-Bar "base", might check places like Iron Pony and other online parts places, for normal 7/8" bars, lots of different bends, and they usually run about $25 in black.

Go online, and compare dimensions to equate to a similar to your fit setup, pay attention to the dimensions.
https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/handlebars

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:01:02 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »
I always bought Bikemaster bars, about $24.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 10:55:45 pm »
I always bought Bikemaster bars, about $24.

that's what I put on my '86, COGZilla, and my KZ1000..

price was right, and they are just bars.. so, zero complaints.