Author Topic: Turn Signal Troubles  (Read 329 times)

Offline Bailtron5000

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Turn Signal Troubles
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »
Hello,

I just picked up a 02' Connie that had been in a wreck. Cosmetic damage, mostly. The right front turn signal is gone. The left front lights up but doesn't flash. The rear turn signals don't light up at all. I went to the auto parts store and got 2 different flasher units. The guys at the auto parts store as well as the guys at the motorcycle shop said a relay is a relay, should work. I hooked up a turn signal to the front right. Now both front lights turn on, don't flash. I cleaned out the switch and the contacts, everything looks good in there. The square flasher unit I got gave no change. When I switched it would for the round unit, the front two lights started flashing as if the hazards were on, using the hazard switch, or any other switch had no effect. However with the round flasher, it blew the 10w fuse, then the spare 15. It was after I put in the spare 30w fuse the the front lights started flashing. Bulbs in the rear are in very good shape. Clean, not corroded. I check the wire the lights hooked up to with a multimeter, and there seems to be power getting there, when I hit the switch the reading cycles through I think it as around 3 different numbers. But nothing to the lights. I picked up a cheap set of lights and hooked them up, no change. I don't really know what I am doing or what to look for at this point. I really want to get out there before the weather turns but don't want to be stuck somewhere at night because I have no blinks. Thanks for any help you may offer.

-Mark 

Offline Bailtron5000

• Big Wheels
Re: Turn Signal Troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:09:33 pm »
The turn signal indicators on the dash don't light up either. Everything else on the dash lights up as it should high beams and horn work break light from both breaks work. It's just the turn signals. 

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »
 :welcome:

Welcome to the forum and a great motorcycle. Please consider joining COG to reap all the benifits!

I would start by rechecking the wiring. You may be missing a common ground.
Not all relays are the same as you were told. Some are electronic and better suited for lower loads like LEDs, others are mechanical and depend on a heavy load.

Any miss-wire can introduce new problems.

Here is a schematic from the forum and the tech manual is even more helpful.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Bailtron5000

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:08:43 am »
Thanks for the diagram, though now I'm still just as confused. If all the lights are running through he same ground, and it looks like they are, shouldn't they all not work? Or shouldn't it be either the left or the right instead of the from or back? I don't understand this wire stuff at all. what a frustrating day.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:13:39 am »
Without looking at your wires with my own eyes, it will be difficult to troubleshoot.
You will need a way to test the circuit using a multimeter.
Perhaps there is someone you know with suitable electrical skills who can assist.

I'm also including an edited version of the circuit showing only the flasher circuitry. It may be helpful.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »
Like Harry says, check electrical system, a loose ground could do that. With a crash, wires might be damaged and/or pulled loose from a connector. This might explain some lights working and others not.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:11:27 pm »
Keep this in mind while you are troubleshooting. All the bulbs in the STOCK circuits
need to be good. If any don't light you will not get a flashing condition.
Start by double checking all the bulbs are the same brightness (dark is not brightness).
The outer shell of each bulb socket is grounded thru the black/ yellow wire back to the
wire harness to the battery negative terminal. If the bike starts and runs you will not likely
find a loose ground.
The gray wire is for the right turn signal circuit, left is gray at the bulb, then green after
the connector. This is also true at the indicator bulbs, All must be good for the flash.
If you are blowing the 10Amp turn signal fuse you have a short in the circuit. Stop using
higher rated fuses, this can lead to that gray smoke that signal all is bad. If you blow fuses
with the flasher relay NOT plugged in look at the green/brown wire for a short to the frame.
If flasher relay plugged in blows fuse look at the orange wire, most likely at the switch
is where you might find your problem.
Good luck, keep us posted, I will be down to Stockbridge for the weekend, gives you lots of
time to trouble shoot.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 12:45:28 pm »
I'm going to re-iterate what Wulf said:

If you are blowing the 10Amp turn signal fuse you have a short in the circuit - STOP

The very FIRST thing you need to do is isolate why that fuse is getting blown - SOMETHING is causing a direct short to ground.

My approach would be to disconnect all but one signal pod, remove the bulbs, and check for continuity from the hot side of the pod connectors to ground. You can do this test with either a volt meter or an ohm meter. If you chose to test with an Ohm Meter, be sure to disconnect the battery first. Voltmeter would show a small voltage, ohm meter (when the battery is disconnected) would show low resistance.

Or test the continuity/resistance in the disconnected pod wiring to the ground wire in each pod.

If none of those indicate a pod failure, then you'll need to test the wiring on the bike. Same approach - all pods disconnected, battery disconnected, test for continuity between the power side of the signal circuit and ground.

Blowing a ten amp means you have a significant short, enough to burn those 14/16 ga signal wires.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:51:52 pm by JimBob »