Author Topic: Ultra-Sonic calipers?  (Read 285 times)

Offline Shallow_Wells

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12894
  • Membership Level: Active
Ultra-Sonic calipers?
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:49:59 pm »
Hi All,

I'm doing a big brake upgrade and bought some really nice looking Nissin calipers that once stopped an RC51. Outside looks great, but old brake fluid looks like peanut butter. I wonder if anyone has advice pro or con on the efficacy of dropping them in an ultra-sonic bath. I have read a lot of threads about carbs being cleaned in this fashion but no calipers. I may end up replacing pistons and seals as well, but thought a bath may not hurt either???

Thanks for the feedback.
Nate

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
Re: Ultra-Sonic calipers?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:56:32 pm »
I have heard ultrasonics can damage/destroy carb diaphragms but personally I would remove all rubber components on anything I put in mine.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »
You could blow some rubber safe cleaner through the calipers. I had the issue of thick saturated brake fluid on an old bike I once bought. I manually cleaned the master cylinder then pumped a bunch of wd40 through the lines out the calipers because I didn't like running brake cleaner through them (perhaps the new brake cleaners now are rubber safe).

Dissampled the slave and manually cleaned that too. Finally ran about 8oz of new brake fluid through the whole system and all was good. For a year I changed the master cylinder brake fluid every 3-4 months and then never touched it for 2 years and all was fine.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:38:05 pm »
the ultrasonic doesn't destroy the plastics, or seals, the chemicals can. that being said, i have ultrasonically cleaned calipers. take the square seals out, and the bleeders and pistons and have at it. clean those items separately (seals by hand, rest can go in the tank).

However, 95% of the time, brake cleaner will get all the old stuff out and make it squeaky clean. I doubt ultrasonic cleaning is necessary.

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Ultrasonic cleaning is fine, but when done you will need to get them really dry.
Personally I would just use brake cleaner and a toothbrush.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Shallow_Wells

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12894
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:34 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice. I use a very mild solution of Simple Green in the U-S tank and don't believe it will harm rubber, but will error on the side of caution.
I have had a few bad experiences with the U-S cleaner taking anodization off aluminum parts. I tell ya, it gets really, REALLY clean. No aluminum with the name Browning or SIG Sauer goes in my tank again! Once again, not the chemical, just the vibes. Other anodization seems fine I just get nervous if it's not a steel part.

Thanks again!
Nate

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:30:30 pm »
um.. the chemicals will pull the anodizing, not the vibes. make sure if you do it to definately take square seals out. TBH, i use cabe cleanerin mine, stinks to high heaven but simple green will screw up some aluminum finishes. 

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 01:05:21 am »
Add me to the list of doing it by hand with a toothbrush. Solvents and rubber parts don't play well together.. A "safe" product for both metal and rubber carb parts is Pine-Sol. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on brake parts too.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:37 pm »
as a follow up, read the aluminum tab on the simple green site.

https://simplegreen.com/faqs/