Author Topic: Upcoming header removal project questions  (Read 283 times)

Offline crag antler

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Upcoming header removal project questions
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:59:54 pm »
So, I've posted this on the COG Facebook but wanted to ask here also :beerchug:

My 2000 Connie has developed a sizable hole in the crossover pipe on the header. Patched many times and time to address it.Most likely due to the 18 years spent up in Northern New England and me riding whenever I had a chance, snow or not :motonoises:

I have a "new" header off a '04 from Arizona that is in pristine shape. I'm taking it up to Jet Hot ceramic coatings in North Carolina. I've since moved from New England to Western NC so it is close.
Doing this to prevent any future holes while lowering what temps I can.

When I pull the old header off, I plan all replacing all the hoses, assorted O-rings in the cooling system, new exhaust gaskets at the head and new muffler gaskets.
With me fast approaching 60k, any day now, :great:, should I worry about the water pump?
No visible leaks but being as anal as I am in mechanical things, just like to know.

If there are any other thoughts, hints or items to replace while I'm there, please chime in.

Thanks as always, Doug
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Upcoming header removal project questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:01:34 pm »
If your replacing all the hoses I would pull the water pump and check for any free play at the impeller.
Some have gone 100k+ with original water pump, I'm guessing these people have done regular coolant changes.
Good time to look at the oil seal on the back of the water pump and loctite it in if necessary.

I pulled the carb bank to get to the rear coolant manifold more easily, thanks to Steve and his video I don't find it to be a hard removal. I believe I didn't even pull the throttle cables or choke cable just moved the carbs and engine side boots to get to the coolant manifold.

If your due for a valve adjustment it would be a good time to do that too. Don't forget the thermostat housing Oring replacement and why not put a new thermostat in, the auto specific ones are cheap enough.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim