Author Topic: Upper shaft seal weepy -- anything to be concerned about?  (Read 329 times)

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #0481 :-(
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10298
  • Membership Level: Active
Upper shaft seal weepy -- anything to be concerned about?
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:03 am »
I've noticed that the seal located at the upper end of the shaft has been a bit weepy for a while. No real drips or anything, just the sort of thing where I clean it off and, a few weeks later, notice a little accumulation of oil.

As a beginning wrencher, I've never dug into a driveshaft assembly before, so I have no idea what's in there...other than, you know, a driveshaft (duh).

Is this something to be concerned about -- like definitely fix it before I take my big summer ride? Or is it the sort of thing that can wait for next winter's project list?
If you can't be a shining example, at least you can be a horrible warning.

Online Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Upper shaft seal weepy -- anything to be concerned about?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:26:12 pm »
If you're talking about the joint between the aluminum final drive and the steel swingarm I'd be interested as well. Mine would get a buildup of oily dust in that area, but never moist, or drips.
I replaced the o-rings, put it back together (not too bad a job), and now I still get some oily buildup, but not as much.

I wonder of maybe the ventig is plugged, and when it gets warm, air expandes and forces a very small amount of oil out?

Jorge

Offline bajakirch

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #0481 :-(
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10298
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Upper shaft seal weepy -- anything to be concerned about?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:41:29 pm »
Mine is up closer to the front, where the transmission connects to the driveshaft.
If you can't be a shining example, at least you can be a horrible warning.