Author Topic: Vacuum hose ID?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11949
  • Membership Level: Active
Vacuum hose ID?
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:31 pm »
What is the ID of the vacuum hose that runs up to the petcock?
Thanks

Antique Machinery Junkie

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
Re: Vacuum hose ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:19:43 pm »
I call mine "Jose".   :nananana:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"

Online cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:26:43 pm »
Inside diameter ? Not sure but you can get some at any auto parts store , bring a piece with you to match it up .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »
4 millimeter ID works from the pollution doohickey vacuum port to the two carbs, but number two carb to the fuel petcock is a hair bigger than 4mm (aka 5/32 ID) , but it's smaller than quarter inch ID. I'm thinking my local NAPA store doesn't have a full line of vacuum hoses. It is a small town Napa, so maybe they don't stock things they would rarely sell? I suppose I could get a pretty accurate guess of line ID with my digital calipers around the tubes / ports, yet below the barb. As everything is done, I'm not going to bother with that today. In fact, I probably never will bother with that.

I did the pollution vacuum line to the two carbs with new hose, and reused the old hose for number two carb to fuel petcock. I did that highly scientific test of hold a finger over one end and push air into the other. Good!
(I'm betting that's not how Formula 1 teams do it.)

More Hot Fun in the Summertime -- I pulled the petcock apart as long as it was smiling up at me from the lawn. Everything looks good*  but Lord knows... Could be a very long walk home.  :)) As long as I had it apart, I stretced the spring out maybe an extra quarter inch. Seems like that's the conventional wisdom. I dunno.

* One thing about the petcock that might be amiss. That Big O ring that goes around the petcock lever was a little bigger than it should be. I had to kind of stuff it into the groove to get the lever back into the petcock housing. Perhaps that is where my leak is. To my eye, that is an unusual o-ring. Usually an O-ring of that diameter is much fatter. I could be wrong. New petcock parts should be here in a day or three.

The bike did start after I ham-handed all up on it, so I'll take that as a good sign.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:27:45 pm by Bucky »

Antique Machinery Junkie

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:52:23 pm »
3/16" hose for that line you asked about...  make sure its called "vacume hose", not thin walled widshield washer fluid hose...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:45:25 am »
3/16. Good to know, thank you.
The Napa store went from quarter inch down to 5/32. No 3/16.
My best guess is the Napa store doesn't sell a lot of vacuum hose to motorcyclists in a town of 3300.

Antique Machinery Junkie