• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Valve
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:58:40 am »
Hello

I have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours. On the right side of the bike, just beneath the tank, there is a valve. Can someone tell what this is for? It looks like there are two positions: to the left and to the right.

Also, sometimes in the mornings when I go out to start my bike, I can smell fuel. Is this a problem? Is this related to the vavle described above?
Thanks

tk
My Conni changed my life

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Valve
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:37:49 pm »
I'm in Wesley Chapel, and know these bikes pretty well - I can't think of any moveable valve under the tank. Can you get a picture or a better description? does it appear to be in the fuel line? if so, someone added it aftermarket.
  you can call me if'n ya want, 973-8845  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:12:12 pm »
There is a valve, but it's on the left.  Which way are you facing when you say right?  Steve is 'da man' when it comes to the Concours ... give him a call.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:15:30 pm »
Yes...I am sorry. On the left...just below the tank. It looks like a valve you can turn but I was unable to turn it.
My Conni changed my life

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:05 pm »
Ok, that would be the gas valve.  It's marked, 'On' 'Prime' and 'Reserve' .  On means automatic, if the valve is working correctly it should shut off the gas when the motor stops.  Reserve takes gas from a lower point in the tank, so if the bike seems like it is running out of gas turn it to reserve, IIRC forward, to get yourself to a gas station.  Prime is for when the carbs have no fuel in them, it is full on.  If the bike has sit for a while the carbs might dry out and the bike won't start in the on position, as the motor needs to start before the automatic valve will open.  Unfortunaltly, there is no positive off position, and if the valve is not maintained it will pass fuel to the carbs even when the motor is not running.

The carbs also have an automatic valve inside them, to maintain the correct fuel level inside the carbs.  This valve is also prone to failure if not maintained properly.  If both valve fail, you could have gas passing through the carbs either directly into the motor, or out through the air-box.  In either event, you are setup for hydro-lock, which usually means serious internal damage to the motor.  Smelling fuel is a symptom of fuel system failure.  Not being able to turn the handle of the fuel petcock tells me the fuel system has not been maintained, and is overdue for service.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:24 pm »
Yes...I am sorry. On the left...just below the tank. It looks like a valve you can turn but I was unable to turn it.

Well if you are facing the bike from the front then the petcock is really on the right.  ;)
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »
TK,
Willyp speaks the truth.  The fuel valve works on engine vacuum.  If you pull the fuel line(bigger hose) off the valve and gas leaks out at all you have one problem.  Best solution is buy a new valve or rebuild if you are good with that kind of thing.  Some people put a manual valve in.

At this point you can use something to put gas into the top of the now removed fuel line.  If once you fill it up it continues to drain away then you have a second problem which is the needle valves in the carbs not sealing the fuel flow off when the bowls are full. 

Like Willy said, you see this most times when a bike is not cared for and left with old fuel for months in the system.  No point in fixing the bad valves and needles if your gas tank is full of rust either.  Another common problem of a bike that sits a lot.  The parts you just fixed will just fail again. 

PS:  All bike side reference is from the riders viewpoint as if sitting in the seat.  Clutch on left hand, throttle on right hand.

PS2:  There is no true OFF on the fuel valve.  If it is leaking in the ON postion then it will leak in the RES position.  It will leak even more in the PRI position which bypasses the vacuum valve and just dumps fuel unrestricted to the carbs.  If the valve is not working correct I would drain the tank till fixed.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:57:21 pm by smithr »
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107