Author Topic: Valves over time?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
Valves over time?
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:16:00 am »
Does the valve adjustment get smaller or larger over time?  Case in point, it has been over 20k since they were adjusted and I have a good idea that they are loose, meaning the gap is larger.  Now for those that are surprised, it still runs well, so they are not that far off.    tcars  John      
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
  • Membership Level: Active
Valves over time?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:28:00 am »
The adjustments are always the same size. 16 valves!  :eg:    Yeah wize a**!    In my personal experiences having over 120K on my bike and having performed and supervised numerous valve adjusts on dozens of other Connies I have to say the frequency of your finding valves more than spec out of adjustment decreases over time.    As an example my last adjustment at 118K had only two valves out of spec and only by .002 each to the tight side.    This has been my experience since 24K on this machine.    Now this being said I do recommend that once you pass the 24K mileage mark you regularly check your valves  at least every 12K if not more often. It really isn't that difficult proceedure given the potential issues that will eventually occur if you don't.    Just my observations.    Oh and BTW "Tappy valves are happy valves"  So erring on the loose side of spec is my recommendation.  It is when they get too tight you run into issues.    AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks!  Northwest Area Director  COG #5539  AMA #927779  IBA #15034  TEAM OREGON MC Instructor    http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby  http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip)  http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:29:00 am by 2linby »
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
Valves over time?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:18:00 am »
Bob:    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.  It has been some time since I checked them, even longer since I adjusted them.  After the first 5-6 valve checks I only adjusted two valves over 25k+, so I opted to give it a lot more time to see how it would affect it.  Three years later and it still runs well, but they are 'tappy' now.  Figure to give it a good tune-up once the cold sets in, going to try to get the gas mileage up a bit.  Not too wild about the mid to upper 30's, and that is riding sanely.  Well, partially sane, still often have jack rabbit starts.     Now as for this "Yeah wize a**!", comment, what gives?        tcars,     John, Rallymaster 2009    
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:20:00 am by John »
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Valves over time?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:00 am »
Now as for this "Yeah wize a**!", comment, what gives?  
2lin's a wize a**, and he knows it. He was just confirming it....  Dave Muir  1980 LTD1000 - Rocket  1999 Concours - Rocket II  1997 Dyna - wife's  CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Bill Hookman

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Valves over time?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
Valves should quiet down over time, not get tappy as the clearances tighten up.  The valves wear by "settling" into their seats, resulting in the clearance at the rocker tightening up.  
Bill Hookman  Columbus, OH

The twistier and hillier the road, the bigger the smile.

Offline Rich

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7
  • Membership Level: Active
Valves over time?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »
Valve adjustment has long been a victim of "conventional wisdom."  Common sense tells us that as things wear, they get loose and sloppy, right?    >Cue every wise-a** in COGdom to chime in on the last line<    I mean really, as your pickup truck gets older with more miles, the steering gets loose, right.  As an engine wears, its compression goes down.  As your kitchen cabinets age, the hinges get loose.    Valve clearance on a Concours is different.  It gets tight.  The reasons for this are many, and there have been some heated debates on this forum and others as to what is really happening to cause this.   I won't go into details, but an easy way to think of this is as the valves pound in and out of their seats, they wear, and the seat a little deeper, and the springs stretch the stems a little more.  Is this really what happens?  Well, kinda sorta, but the effect is close enough to think of it in these terms.  The result is as the engine wears, the valve cleaneces gets less and less, or in effect, they "tighten."    That is why we always recommend adjusting to the loose side.  Many riders, such as myself, choose to just pick a weekend twice a year to do a valve adjustment, regardless of the miles and regardless of the actual clearances.  It's easier to schedule the down time this way rather than waiting for a specific number on the odometer to show up, and it usually works out just right.      The Original Rich Reed  COG #7  1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R  1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard  2004 Little Blue Chevy  "Over the hill it's five bucks.  Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."  
The Original Rich Reed  COG #7  COG Life Member  "Over the hill it's five bucks.  Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."