Author Topic: Video of issue with low revs  (Read 280 times)

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Video of issue with low revs
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:18:24 pm »
Still hunting for issue of low revs issues. Checked plug wires and caps. Seem to be tight.
Pulled carbs, checked diaphragms and all good w/ no tears, holes or issues.
Cleaned carbs again to check pilot jets were clean. Found one tip missing on pilot air screw. Replaced all 4 and adjusted to 2 turns out. Checked float level and all @ 17 mm at 45% angle. All per shop manual.
Still getting slight smoke out exhaust that smells like gas. Never did that before :-[
Included video of tonight’s run
https://youtu.be/RoiICvfQptA
Emailed SISF a week ago about carb service but have not heard back. Don’t know if he is still doing C-10 carbs or still unpacking. I know moving is a bear.

Thanks
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
Re: Video of issue with low revs
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:24:08 pm »
1-1/4-1-1/2 turns out are what I've seen on stock Concours.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:42:14 pm »
I have done tons of searching for carb info lately. The most common number of turns for the pilot screw from what I saw was 1.5 to 2 turns. I wrote this down in my notes, think Steve S. said it: "Set carbs pilot screw to 2 turns out and forget it."

EDIT: Service manual says 1-1/2 turns.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:22:51 am by batboy »
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 01:13:03 am »
Your idle is good. It burped a little around 600 rpm. Is that what you are talking about?

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:46:43 am »
The concern is when it gets to the 2000 RPM’s and hits a wall.
Should be able to keep climbing but doesn’t. With the slight smoke and all, I’m thinking of pulling the valve cover and checking the valve specs again.
I only really did 3 things to the motor.
Valve adjustment, exhaust sprocket install and carb cleaning.
My thinking it has to be one of these three or....
Still keeping the faith as I know what she is capable of :motonoises:
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:54:15 am »
If you are running poorly at higher RPM, that sounds the opposite of problems with pilot jets. So many thing could make it fall flat as RPM increases.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:02:52 am »
Still hunting for issue of low revs issues. Checked plug wires and caps. Seem to be tight.
Pulled carbs, checked diaphragms and all good w/ no tears, holes or issues.
Cleaned carbs again to check pilot jets were clean. Found one tip missing on pilot air screw. Replaced all 4 and adjusted to 2 turns out. Checked float level and all @ 17 mm at 45% angle. All per shop manual.
Still getting slight smoke out exhaust that smells like gas. Never did that before :-[
Included video of tonight’s run
https://youtu.be/RoiICvfQptA

Emailed SISF a week ago about carb service but have not heard back. Don’t know if he is still doing C-10 carbs or still unpacking. I know moving is a bear.

Thanks

what screws did you use? OEM Kaw, or the K&L "kits"..?

also, did you make sure to account for the flat washer and o-ring, under the spring, on each needle screw? jussssst checking...

K& L kits have a slightly longer/and gentle taper, and often as I have found, actually respond best at 2 to 2-1/2 turns out..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:26 am »
OEM w/ new washer and o- rings, in the proper order :rotflmao:
Doug aka crag antler