Author Topic: waiting for parts... so I did the "free power mod"  (Read 427 times)

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
  • Membership Level: Active
waiting for parts... so I did the "free power mod"
« on: May 30, 2019, 02:20:15 am »
The solenoid part I'm waiting on was supposed to be here today, but now tracking says Thursday [EDIT: now changed to Friday, delayed due to weather and flooding and holiday]. Been checking the bike over real good and cleaning it. So, I sent one more order out for a license plate frame and a pack of plastic decorative allen head bolt covers. You know that you are running out of mods and accessories to do when that's all you can find motorcycle-related to blow your cash on.

But wait, what about mods that don't cost anything? Steve S. (in sunny Florida) made a video a few years ago that demonstrated adding a ground wire to the ignition system since the ground is pretty wimpy. Steve called the procedure "free power mod" because it actually improved performance on some Concours bikes. At times, improvements were minor, but sometimes it helped a lot (depending on the condition of your grounds in the electrical system). Sometimes flickering lights stopped flickering and some reported better gas mileage. Almost sounds too good to be true, huh? There is no downside to improving the electrical system grounds.

I did the lazy version of the free power mod and made a ground wire (12 gauge) with a ring connector on one end and a butt connector on the other end. I connected this to the ground wire at the accessory connectors (removed the old connector and installed the butt connector) and then bolted the ring connector of the ground wire to the frame (alternatively, you could connect it to the negative terminal of the battery). I use a combination of crimp on connectors, solder, and heat shrink tubing. Put the heat shrink on first (at least an inch long) and slide onto the wire and push it out of the way. Cut the plastic insulator off the crimp-on connectors with wire cutters (dikes). Strip the wire and crimp it on. Use a soldering iron to add a bit of solder to strands of wire in the connector. If it's all nice and tight, the solder will flow into the connector for a solid permanent connection.  Slide the heat shrink into place and heat it up to shrink it. If done correctly, the heat shrink will make a waterproof seal.

Since there are a lot of newish Connie owners nowadays, I thought maybe I should mention this mod. Go to YouTube and search on Concours free power mod or search here in the forum, several threads have the video link. Heck, here it is, I'll make it easy. If it works for you, don't thank me, thank Steve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFK3AaZ_Uwo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 02:34:17 pm by batboy »
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
Re: waiting for parts... so I did the "free power mod"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:24:29 pm »
Let us know how it turned out.

Offline MikeH_OH

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:53:09 pm »
I did this upgrade. Wire from the negative of the ignitor direct to the negative battery post and tapped into the accessory terminal ground and, with an eyelet terminal, grounded that to the rear master cylinder reservoir bolt. I don't know if my mileage improved. I do know it starts much easier and it did help with performance. How much? Who knows but for the price of a few terminal ends, a couple feet (if that) of wire, it is well worth the effort!

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:07:10 pm »
It was "free" for me only because I had left over wire and connectors. I guess I did pay for the parts at one time. Regardless, it's very low bucks stuff. I rode my bike yesterday for the first time in 6 months, so not sure how accurate my butt dynometer is, but like MikeH says, it seems to start so much easier. I also remember that it idled at about 1k rpm before and now it idles at 1.2k rpm. So, maybe it has improved performance a little (or rather, brought back the performance that was lost as over time the grounding system contacts deteriorated).
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline Kawasakiking

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:18:46 pm »
Im having issues where mine starts runs for 5 min and shuts down. Will restart after a few min. Could this free power mod help me?

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »
Im having issues where mine starts runs for 5 min and shuts down. Will restart after a few min. Could this free power mod help me?

The free power mod is very worth doing, and could help any of the C-10's as many have corrosion at the ground,,, but that does not sound like your problem.
Your description sounds like you have restricted fuel flow.

Look at the hoses carefully with tank in place.
You may have a bend/kink that is preventing the gas from reaching the carbs.
Did you install a fuel filter and/or tygon tubing?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!