Author Topic: Water pump oil leak  (Read 708 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Water pump oil leak
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:33:29 pm »
I've read through the posts about an oil leak from the weep hole just behind the water pump. I have that leak.

My question.....a 2000 Concours with 97k on it. The culprit is probably the o-ring that seals the rear of the water pump so oil doesn't leak out. That o-ring costs next to nothing. The water pump is about $200+.

Change the o-ring only or change the pump?

Mike

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Water pump oil leak
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:47:43 pm »
You got lucky. Yours lasted 100k. Mine failed at about 10k.

You need to take it off and determine the failure and status of the pump as a whole. Then you can do the o-ring fix if needed. But with these miles you should consider replacing the whole pump.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »
I've read through the posts about an oil leak from the weep hole just behind the water pump. I have that leak.

My question.....a 2000 Concours with 97k on it. The culprit is probably the o-ring that seals the rear of the water pump so oil doesn't leak out. That o-ring costs next to nothing. The water pump is about $200+.

Change the o-ring only or change the pump?

Mike

when you get the "oil drip from the weep hole", it isn't the big o-ring sealing the pump to the engine case. It's the small "lip" seal that seals the shaft/waterpump body junction. That seal prevents oil from getting to the housing above the weep hole...

I've repaired many, this article should help you decide if you want to repair it, or replace the pump...

http://forum.cog-online.org/fuel-cooling-and-oil-systems/remove-and-replace-the-waterpump/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:52:14 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Chuck Landis

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10486
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
Following
Chuck
06 Connie
York Pa.

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
Thanks all....I will be tearing the bike down in a few days. Fortunately I have a KLR to ride while I fix the Concours.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 02:04:33 pm »
most likely not the oring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhvvx3ctak

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Fester

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12614
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 05:35:13 pm »
I had this same issue in September.  Stopped riding it up until a few weeks ago when I ordered the seal and replaced it.  I'm no master mechanic, but with the help from an article on this forum, I was able to complete the job without any trouble at all. No more leak and all is well. From what I've read and seen first hand, these seals routinely fail at some point (mine at about 50,000).  If I were in your shoes I would replace the seal only, unless something was obviously wrong with the pump such as a wobbly shaft. Best of luck with it...

Offline Fester

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12614
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 05:52:21 pm »
Also, in case it helps... I got my seal from genuinekawasakiparts.com for $11.43 including shipping.  It was the cheapest I was able to find and the shipping was very fast. The part is:  Seal-Oil, Water Pump Item 92049-1416.  If you haven't already researched or ordered, this might save you some time...

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 06:34:42 pm »
And don't overfill your motor oil.

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:28:28 pm »
Again...thx to all for your input. I ordered the seals and waiting for them to arrive. I will keep you posted. I'm in AZ now for a few months and Concours will be going up the CA coast in late Jan and early Feb. Been spending some time going through it. Just mounted new BT45's front and rear. Been on the KLR down here in AZ too. Great rides all around in fine weather! Riding season in western CO (Grand Junction) a bit cold and snowy soooo..AZ!

Mike

Offline bajasam

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:02:30 pm »
apparently your bragging about our weather here in az has jinxed us and brought in this snow and rain this morning.................lol

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 07:10:38 pm »
But the sun is out and the forecast is sweet!  ;)

Offline bajasam

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 01:25:34 am »
not down south in tucson, didnt get over 50 degrees, i stop riding when it gets below 70.

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 12:39:38 pm »
Seals came in the mail yesterday so taking pump out this morning and replacing seals. I'll check condition of pump to see if seasl alone will be ok.

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »

not down south in tucson, didnt get over 50 degrees, i stop riding when it gets below 70.

:96:  I road last weekend...500 miles in 27-40 degree weather! it wasnt bad at all....38 outside right now and I am about to take the bike to the parts store for the jeep... :threadjack:
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline bajasam

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
your much tougher then me, At 27 degrees i wouldn't even go outside these days, much less ride a motorcycle.40 years ago i might have joined you.fortunately where i live it only gets into the 20's a couple times a year and only for an hour or so at sunrise.

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 11:57:08 pm »
your much tougher then me, At 27 degrees i wouldn't even go outside these days, much less ride a motorcycle.40 years ago i might have joined you.fortunately where i live it only gets into the 20's a couple times a year and only for an hour or so at sunrise.

wouldnt say tougher....probably just dumber!  at 44 yrs old my mind still thinks I am 20!!!!
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 12:44:07 am »

wouldnt say tougher....probably just dumber!  at 44 yrs old my mind still thinks I am 20!!!!

a few metal pins, and screws, holding together your bones will give you a different perspective on weather, later in life... hind sight is 20/20...

ride safe,

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 03:11:09 am »

a few metal pins, and screws, holding together your bones will give you a different perspective on weather, later in life... hind sight is 20/20...

ride safe,

MOB,  I have a few in my right shoulder....had a complete rebuilt of it along with an AC Joint delete procedure a few years back.   It is noticeable in the cold thats for sure.
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
  • COG#: 10670
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 03:58:37 am »
Again...thx to all for your input. I ordered the seals and waiting for them to arrive. I will keep you posted. I'm in AZ now for a few months and Concours will be going up the CA coast in late Jan and early Feb. Been spending some time going through it. Just mounted new BT45's front and rear. Been on the KLR down here in AZ too. Great rides all around in fine weather! Riding season in western CO (Grand Junction) a bit cold and snowy soooo..AZ!

Something I discovered (the hard way) after replacing my water pump, then about 15,000 miles later... My water pump oil seal popped out and I sprung a pretty bad weep hole oil leak.  I ordered a new Kawasaki shaft seal and pulled the pump.  What I discovered is that I should have checked to make sure the new pump seal was seated all the way before installing the pump.  So this time I replaced the seal and used a socket that fits on the outside edge of the pump shaft seal.  Using a rubber hammer on the socket, I made sure the seal was seated all the way into the housing.   

Offline TnRider

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12484
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:29:21 am »
"Something I discovered (the hard way) after replacing my water pump, then about 15,000 miles later... My water pump oil seal popped out and I sprung a pretty bad weep hole oil leak.  I ordered a new Kawasaki shaft seal and pulled the pump.  What I discovered is that I should have checked to make sure the new pump seal was seated all the way before installing the pump.  So this time I replaced the seal and used a socket that fits on the outside edge of the pump shaft seal.  Using a rubber hammer on the socket, I made sure the seal was seated all the way into the housing."  KellyfromVa

I had the same thing happen with my brand new water pump.  After several more attempts to get the new seal to stay in and several more oil leaks, I used a 17 MM socket and a hammer to fully seal it with the red Loctite.  No leaks after that.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 03:12:06 pm »
I agree the seals, even the new ones you use to replace one with, are not sized right to effect a tight fit in the pump body... I always suggest finding a socket that just fits the inner diameter of the "cup"  side on the seal, and either hitting it with moderate force, or squeezing the seal and socket in a vice, to expand the o.d. by .002" will provide a tight fit on the rubber clad cup when installed. Also making sure to completely clean the area using brakekleen spray, and blowing it out with compressed air, prior to coating the o.d. of the seal with loktite bearing gel, the thick red stuff, prior to installation, and letting the seal and pump sit overnight nearr a lightbulb to provide warmth, adds to the ability of the setup on the gel...  After the pump is installed, it may drip a couple drops over the first 100 miles, but that is only oil that was trapped in the bearing, and will stop shortly.. so don't freak out.

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 03:30:13 pm »
Another "trick" is to double-seal the shaft, meaning, use two seals placed back-to-back...... again applying the Locktite as previously mentioned.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:29 pm »
Another "trick" is to double-seal the shaft, meaning, use two seals placed back-to-back...... again applying the Locktite as previously mentioned.

Wow daddy'O I never tried that one... Have you? And does it work? (I guess I mean do 2 fit without blocking off the weep hole?)  Never tried jamming 2 in there...great idea
 :great:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:55:11 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:35:45 am »
Fixed the leak today. Pulled the pump off and old seal was almost all the way pushed out. Replaced it, the o ring too but did not pull the cover off the pump. Was able to verify pump in good shape by reaching in thru water inlet and outlet as well as back of shaft where the pump engages the oil pump. Also changed the o ring on the water inlet/outlet (not sure which it is).

Job was straight forward..thx for the great instructions i found...a link forwarded to me by MOB.

Mike