Author Topic: Weight Loss.  (Read 247 times)

Offline Andy

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Active
Weight Loss.
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:49:03 am »
Does anyone have an idea of how much the weight the full fairing of 2002 adds to that 595lbs.  I've been thinking of turning it info a naked bike, as all I do is tool around town stuff, and don't need all that wind in face protection @ high speeds.

I've been use to an '86 and '93 Nighthawks, and a 95 VFR, do I don't mind some wind in my face -Thanks,
Andy.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Weight Loss.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:04:13 am »
My guess would be maybe 30 lbs.  I can tell you, since I have all the plastics off of mine right now, that the performance increase is quite noticeable.  Since you had to get my curiosity up, I'll probably end up weighing it all.   

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »
Without going to my buddy's store to use the UPS scale, I came up with 23 lbs not counting any mounting screws.  I did include the upper fairing with turn signals, headlight and headlight protector, windshield, both lower fairings with scoops, the belly pan and the four pieces that make up the heat shields.  I'm calling it 25 lbs give or take a couple.  I don't know about you, but I need to worry more about what I weigh than my bike. :-\

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 04:54:45 pm »
Removing 25# of plastic will take you from a
fairly lightweight sport-tourer to a very
heavy standard street bike at 570#.
Heck, my first Gold Wing weighed less than 590#.
While than may give you the “open air”
experience you desire it’s still going to a bit
of a handful, especially at lower speeds.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:16:17 pm »
Bud's figure is about right, but if your plastic is all in good shape, removing it does have drawbacks...
When I built COGZilla, which had no plastic up front to start, you have to consider that everything you pull off, that has power, needs to be replaced with something else, and that cost's $$
signals, lights, instrument cluster, and custom mounting of all those, add up very fast. I KNOW....
 >:(
even fabricating the stuff myself, it was a couple Hundred$, to accomplish, that is, to accomplish in a manner that didn't involve duct tape, and bailing wire...and look like trash.

I'll also add, most people think the bike will run cooler, and the heat flow will not be uncomfortable, may think again, as that fairing does a great job of channeling heat off the engine by funneling the air thru and around , without it, it just wafts up in your face, and in traffic, the benefits of the fans on the radiator are lost without the fairing..

if you spend the money and time, it looks cool, but then there is always mother nature, and rain....
would I build another Nekid Conni?, meh, can't say i would, the $500 wrecked bike I built mine out of turned into a $3000 adventure.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:41:59 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline CRocker

• Crotch Rocket
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:11 pm »
That sounds about right, MOB...net weight loss of maybe 10 or 15 lbs...and, the heat...did I mention the heat?  Think I'm just going to leave the fairing on mine this time... :truce: