Author Topic: Well Gaskets?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline MrBob

• Bicycle
  • Careening Forward
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10458
  • Membership Level: Active
Well Gaskets?
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
 The oil in the spark plug wells tells me it's time to change the well gaskets. I'm new to the Connie and just putting wrench to metal on this bike.
 It looks like removing the coils would be necessary to good access. Anything else I should be aware of? I did this task on my Bandit and recall how easy it was to pinch gaskets on reassembly.
95 Connie
99 Jeep Cherokee

Online ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Well Gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
Well (pun intended), it's not hard to do, just a challenge of sorts to get to because of other things that have to happen first. It's time to take off the valve cover and a good time to check the valves, 'cause the well gaskets are underneath the cover, not on top of it.  While it's off, you replace the gaskets. Search elsewhere to find out how to do the valves. Take off the cover and turn it over. There are the well gaskets. Of course...I might be wrong, but I don't think so. If I am, I'm sure I'll be ridiculed....
2014 C-14

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »
Not difficult to do, just tedious.

1) Remove plastic
2) Remove gas tank
3) Remove spark plugs
4) Loosen coil assemblys (2 nuts, 8mm IIRC) and move them out of the way
5) Remove air suction system
6) Unbolt valve cover and jockey it out of the bike (Comes out the left side and helps if you undo the 1  fairing stay bolt on that side)
7) Adjust valves (takes 10 min tops with that bike)
8) The well gaskets will either be stuck to the valve cover or on the head itself,  they are held in place with a dowel pin, just pull them off and install new
9) Reinstall valve cover,   NOTE: It's easy to "pinch" the front edge of the gasket, make triple sure it's sitting right or oil will leak when the engine is started (DAMHIK :) )  if it is not right, lift valve cover and reseat it   If the valve cover gasket came out, use some high temp gasket sealant on the half moons (You will see what I am talking about once U are in there)
10) Reinstall bits and bobs (Plugs etc)
11) Start engine and look for oil leaks
12) Reinstall fairing
13) have a cold beverage

It's not hard but can be daunting, just take your time and it will be fine :)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline MrBob

• Bicycle
  • Careening Forward
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:11:39 pm »

1) Remove plastic
2) Remove gas tank
3) Remove spark plugs
6) Unbolt valve cover and jockey it out of the bike (Comes out the left side and helps if you undo the 1  fairing stay bolt on that side)
8) The well gaskets will either be stuck to the valve cover or on the head itself,  they are held in place with a dowel pin, just pull them off and install new
9) Reinstall valve cover,   NOTE: It's easy to "pinch" the front edge of the gasket, make triple sure it's sitting right or oil will leak when the engine is started (DAMHIK :) )  if it is not right, lift valve cover and reseat it   If the valve cover gasket came out, use some high temp gasket sealant on the half moons (You will see what I am talking about once U are in there)
12) Reinstall fairing
13) have a cold beverage

It's not hard but can be daunting, just take your time and it will be fine :)

Perfect, thank you. I've got about half the steps done now. I'm struck by how similar this part of the engine is to my 1200cc Bandit engine, including the half moons.
 I'll look in the shop manual for valve adjusting instructions.
95 Connie
99 Jeep Cherokee

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:05:26 pm »
It's simple.. :)

One thing,  when reinstalling the ign coils, note that there is a ground wire that bolts to one of the mounting bolts...   It sometimes can be easily overlooked,  if you don't hook it up bike won't run...  (I THINK it's black/yellow but I haven't had a C-10 since 09 so I could be wrong ;) )
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline MrBob

• Bicycle
  • Careening Forward
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »

1) Remove plastic
2) Remove gas tank
3) Remove spark plugs
12) Reinstall fairing
13) have a cold beverage

I removed both fairing lowers to move the shrouds that cover the left and right edges of the valve cover so I wouldn't need to jockey so much on re-installation.
 Is gasket sealant applied only on the half moons?
 When I removed the fairing inners I found myself with two small, metal tabs. Each is slightly bent with two threaded bolt holes. Where might those belong?
95 Connie
99 Jeep Cherokee