Author Topic: What is your favorite way to pull dents from a C10 tank?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Lee

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
  • Membership Level: Active
What is your favorite way to pull dents from a C10 tank?
« on: August 31, 2019, 04:45:03 pm »
Any and all comments on how to appreciated. Creased my knee panel on right. Looking for options.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
Re: What is your favorite way to pull dents from a C10 tank?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:18:25 pm »
Creased? That don't sound good. A crease means the metal was stretched. So, it's unlikely to pop back into shape using suction or heat/cool methods. Probably not much the average guy can do unless you're skilled at body work. It'll need to be sanded down, filled, resanded, primed, and repainted. If the dent is fairly deep, it might need partially popped out first.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline Lee

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »
Yep crease is problematic. Will try a pull as you suggest. Then filler for crease. That unless someone knows magic I do not.

Funny, I bought this C10 with such damage. Pulled it with welder and pins. Would not recomend such as metal was so thin it created severe complictions to repair. I still had it in primer from that repair.

Ugggh! Damn if I am not trying to figue a better way this time.......

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:15:00 pm »
Buy a used tank off of ebay.  Also check Green's motorcycle salvage in Kentucky.  I know they have at least one C10 over there when I was there last.  Think it was silver.  The old man over there is the one to talk to.  HTH
https://greenscyclesalvage.com/

One other thought.  Crease it on the other side to match!  Custom C10 tank! ;)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 06:39:35 pm »
Do you have a pic? How deep is it? A crease cannot be fixed using home remedies.

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Tricycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 01:51:29 am »
You should also try contacting your local Dent Wizard paintless dent repair shop.  They fixed a crease in my car door that I thought for sure they would say was to big.  45 minutes after dropping my car off it was done and looked better than new.  The local Dent Wizard guy went into business on his own and has since fixed a gas tank dent for me.  Normally they don't work on gas tanks.  Good luck
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 03:06:40 am »
Get some stick-on rubber "knee pads" to hide it.  Google "rubber knee pads for motorcycle gas tanks". 
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Lee

• Scooter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 09:30:08 am »
Crease is running across the tanks "shoulder line" for lack of better word desriptor up through it ever so slightly. North/south orientation about 1+ inch or so long and less than .25 inch deep. It is within an associated indention maybe 4 inches in circumference and maybe another .25 deep. Feel the indention may pull with suction cup/slide. But crease is the bugger to solve.

Always wanted rubber knee pads in that area! Maybe time for a tank bra too. He he.....thing is I will know it is dented underneath. Now ain't that just obsessively cruel self abuse on my part. Ha.

Reason wanting to save tank is I coated it wth Caswell's sealer. It is rust free in the interior. Damn big tank to coat throughly. Internal baffles and tubes made it a PIA to coat as well. Have used Caswell coating on all my tanks for decades. Never had a failure with it.

In Louisiana lined tanks are a necessity. Now with alcohol fuel even more so. My spare tanks would have to be coated before put into service. Might be easier to fix dent or cover it. Cover it is certainly more cost effective.