Author Topic: When to give in?  (Read 568 times)

Offline White Mike

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
When to give in?
« on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:30 pm »
So my 2005 now has about 42,000 miles and needing some maintenance done. I know I will be needing tires in the next month, and while looking at them today noticed the dust covers are brittle and need to be replaced. Of course if I need to take the forks off, I may as well upgrade to progressive springs to help out with weight. Of course if I am upgraded the front suspension, I may as well upgrade the rear as well so my wife can ride along comfortably. I also need to adjust the valves and send the carbs to Steve to have some magic done on them as well. I also need to figure out something with the seat as it is not comfortable at all for my 260 pounds.

In short, I am looking at best a rather quick guess around $2,500 if I do the work for a bike that will be worth about 1,500 providing you can find a buyer. I can probably spend a few months parting it out and get somewhere in that range as it sits now which brings me to my question: Do I want to go ahead and give in to upgrade to a newer model or spend the money and keep my Connie for another 3-4 years?

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: When to give in?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. If you like the bike, want to keep it, and think the upgrades are money well spent, then go ahead and don't think about resale or trade-in value, think about smiles per mile.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:48 pm »
Let's see: $2,500/48 months - $52/mo. If you can find a C-14 for that payment, -$1/mo (or $51/month), go for it. Plus you have to add back the $1500 it'll still be worth in 48 months, so that's $1,000/48 months =$20.83/month to ride a pretty decent bike.

But if a NEW one is calling your name, buy it.  :) 

At that price, it's worth having two, so keep the C-10. (That didn't help did it? ) :rotflmao:
2014 C-14

Online works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:17 pm »
Unless you're trying to convince yourself to get a new bike,
I think your $2500 estimate is awfully high.
I don't think I have that much in my bike in total,
including the bike's purchase.
Choose your upgrades carefully and do most of the work
yourself. A little can go a long way.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:30 pm »
Unless you're trying to convince yourself to get a new bike,
I think your $2500 estimate is awfully high.
I don't think I have that much in my bike in total,
including the bike's purchase.
Choose your upgrades carefully and do most of the work
yourself. A little can go a long way.

Agree, you beat me to it.

So my 2005 now has about 42,000 miles and needing some maintenance done. I know I will be needing tires in the next month, and while looking at them today noticed the dust covers are brittle and need to be replaced. Of course if I need to take the forks off, I may as well upgrade to progressive springs to help out with weight. Of course if I am upgraded the front suspension, I may as well upgrade the rear as well so my wife can ride along comfortably. I also need to adjust the valves and send the carbs to Steve to have some magic done on them as well. I also need to figure out something with the seat as it is not comfortable at all for my 260 pounds.

In short, I am looking at best a rather quick guess around $2,500 if I do the work for a bike that will be worth about 1,500 providing you can find a buyer. I can probably spend a few months parting it out and get somewhere in that range as it sits now which brings me to my question: Do I want to go ahead and give in to upgrade to a newer model or spend the money and keep my Connie for another 3-4 years?

The valve dust covers can be brittle, they should be replaced, but can be left alone. And you may as well do fork oil seals too while you were at it anyway. Springs can be changed with forks on the bike, progressives are what come stock FYI, you can also make a spacer and cut the stock springs for a stiffer ride. Rear shock doesn't always need to be replaced, try changing your rear shock oil with the kit from Murph's. Adjusting your valves is free, not too difficult, and far easier than on a C14 I hear. The carbs don't have to go to Steve, you could do a cleaning and an install of his jet kit yourself.

But,

The money spent on having SISF do the carbs right is money well spent. How old is your petcock? $70 bucks from Murph's for a new OEM is a good idea, along with flushing the tank clean. Spendy seats should be worth it too, but you can also have your stock one remade as well. Front ends? With your weight, I would suggest swapping on a ZRX front end, for superior braking and handling. I kept my OEM rear shock and did an oil change, and she keeps up with the ZRX1100 front end. Around $700 for the swap, and you get a different motorcycle when you are done.

Also, Tires shouldn't be considered a reason to sell something. A consumable like tires, oils, fuel, are all part of the game. Your new bike would need tires too..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:08:03 am by VTconnie »
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:03:37 am »
So you ask tough questions, and there is no right answer. The fact of the matter is that you have to figure, 'how much do you like the concours?'

If the answer is, meh: Sell it.
If the answer is, I love my concours: Keep it.

I LOVE my 2006. I've done a lot of work (but still lots to be done), and in the 4 years I've owned her, I've put 20k miles on (not a lot to many people, but fair for me, and I have multiple bikes). I made the bike the way I like it. Will it sell for jack $hit now? Noooope. But 20 years in production, vendors like steve, murph, and larry, you can easily ride a concours with some support and some DIY work for another 20 years I would guess. I mean hell, there was a guy who just finished a million miles riding on the SAME 1975 honda goldwing....so if a 75 wing can still get parts, so can your concours.

If you're on the fence about your bike, then get rid of it. Again, you wont get squat for it...but no sense in having a bike you dont like. I watched some reviews on the connie on youtube lately, and some were spot on...some were way off. One about the aesthetics, and not being a handsome bike is somewhat accurate...but I love her just the same.

I bought a 2002 just for fun...to learn to wrench a bit more, and I put about 2200 in total (see my other thread) to date. She's up to date on pretty much everything, and will probably go 5 years without major service. Tires, and oil changes are not considered major service, so that obviously excludes those. Outside of that stuff, the only cost is gas, and a bottle or two of seafoam over the year.

Input gas
Output fun
Repeat
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 02:23:58 am »
  I have had my C10 for 23 yrs and it still runs -- better than new. BUT I did put many $$$ in it over those yrs. It is a great bike. A GREAT ride isn't free and if you bought another used bike be ready to spend more $$$ to get it top shape. ANY used bike will need servicing and more more for farkles.

You can keep your C10 and make it your bike or buy someone else's and spend the $$$ to make it the way you want it.  It's still time and $$$!! :motonoises:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:55:48 am »
Just pull that gold card out of the vault and make it happen. You only live once!

... :)

You know you want to.
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:04 am »
Everyone looks at the next bike as "perfect" and they seem to forget they'll need to do upgrades on it, too. I can tell you factually even if you found a nice c-14, lets say for 7000.00 as I did, at our weights you NEED suspension, and mine was 2000.00. and of course you NEED a seat, and a windshield, and maybe a top box so your wife has a place for her stuff and a backrest.

Something to think about.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 01:41:04 pm »
yep... pretty much all the things you mention are maintenance related. But, if you need to do the upgrades to make it 'better', putting money in an old bike is iffy. On my 03 I poured a bunch of money in it and still had the 'new' bike itch... so I sold it and lost all the money lol. If your bank account can handle it a newer bike is always nicer, but will not 'save' you money. I bought an FJR (08) and had to change the windscreen, bar risers etc etc. The second season it needed fork seals.
   The cheapest bike is the one you have, but if a new bike is inevitable, sell it as is, and move on before sinking to much in upgrades.
 I love my FJR btw...here is a shameless photo op  ;)
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline White Mike

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:52 pm »
I appreciate all the comments, and I realize that quite a few of the items are maintenance related and will have them with any motorcycle purchase I ultimately make. Knowing about what I can expect to get on trade in leads me to believe that I will do what is necessary to make it safe to ride again, but look for an additional cycle to add that would be more comfortable especially when two up. Still is enjoyable to ride to work and in the twisties! What the heck, the kids really don't need an inheritance anyway.

How does that old saying go, Teach your children to ride motorcycles and they won't have any money left for drugs?

Thanks again for all of your input!

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:32:07 am »
I appreciate all the comments, and I realize that quite a few of the items are maintenance related and will have them with any motorcycle purchase I ultimately make. Knowing about what I can expect to get on trade in leads me to believe that I will do what is necessary to make it safe to ride again, but look for an additional cycle to add that would be more comfortable especially when two up. Still is enjoyable to ride to work and in the twisties! What the heck, the kids really don't need an inheritance anyway.

How does that old saying go, Teach your children to ride motorcycles and they won't have any money left for drugs?

Thanks again for all of your input!

Your welcome. Ride safe! :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:29:30 am »
Shoot...my 86 is very long in the tooth and probably ain't worth spit, but I massage new parts and time into her to keep her going.
My oldest son rides it now.

Going riding with my son is priceless.

I readjusted the valves with my son and just today we did the carb sync.
Running as smooth as silk. :great:
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 02:02:36 am »
Shoot...my 86 is very long in the tooth and probably ain't worth spit, but I massage new parts and time into her to keep her going.
My oldest son rides it now.

Going riding with my son is priceless.

I readjusted the valves with my son and just today we did the carb sync.
Running as smooth as silk. :great:

Beautiful. These bikes are humbling :'( :motonoises:
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber