Author Topic: Which is Keyed Wire Near Battery?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12297
  • Membership Level: Active
Which is Keyed Wire Near Battery?
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:43 pm »
Got a PIC here of wires to taillamp. I wanna tap into a Keyed Power Source for my Spotlights. I decided to tuck all
spotlight's wiring loom, switch, relay, fuse etc into the little tool recess near battery and igniter. Everything appears OEM. Q: Which wire NEAR the battery should the ORANGE switch wire tap into?? Locomotiveman
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Which is Keyed Wire Near Battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »
I use pin 8 on the J-Box.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:40:14 pm »
I guess...any one would do if it's HOT when bike is running unless it's already under a heavy load. I don't fully fathom how the heck LED's function. Q: Does having LED stuff daisy-chained/T-tapped to a filament bulb HOT wire create issues?

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:06:38 pm »
Listen to George, I think.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:48:51 pm »
Ya....

Offline Stealth Connie

• Training Wheels
    • Don B Waln Facebook
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8503
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:17:46 am »
I guess...any one would do if it's HOT when bike is running unless it's already under a heavy load. I don't fully fathom how the heck LED's function. Q: Does having LED stuff daisy-chained/T-tapped to a filament bulb HOT wire create issues?

BIG Difference between Daisy-Chained/T Tapped  (Series/Parallel) ESPECIALLY with LEDs.   You want to wire it in Parallel (T).

Unless you understand the workings of DC Resistor Circuitry &  E=IR  I=E/R   R=E/I   it's best not to consider Series.

But,  I'm at work on night shift, and really bored, I'll throw out a little info, since usually I receive much more info than I give on here.

LED lighting is completely different than filament when it comes to Series.   

In Parallel,  Multiple LEDs have the same voltage (E), and current (I).  If an LED burns out, only that single unit is lost.
Most 12v automotive LEDs have internal current limiting resistors and are designed to be run at 12-14volts. Plug and Play

In Series, The listed voltage of each LED in the "line" all added up together would determine voltage needed to power the circuit.  If you have four 12v LED spotlights, wired in series, you would need 48 volts to power the the lights.  Series on a 12v circuit would  If one LED unit goes out, the entire line (chain) goes out.

(A better way to explain this is, say you have a 3.6v LED, it actually needs 3.6 volts out of the circuit to operate and will remove that from the supplied voltage. If you supplied 12 volts, you would have 8.4 volts potential, after the 3.6 LED. This 8.4volts would either need to be "absorbed" by more LED's or reduced to ZERO by a resistor placed inline.  12volts on a 3.6v LED would cause current to surpass what the diode can pass through = burns open)

Now, in theory (I've never thought of this application before), a Series Circuit of LED & Filament bulbs introduces additional issues. (A combination of LED & Filament bulbs wired in a combo Series/Parallel circuit is more than I could ever address)

An LED is a diode, which can only handle so much current (usually very low) so most have a current-limiting resistor, which gives you a Maximum (forward) current that is much too low for filament bulbs to operate. Not to mention the voltage drop caused by each LED would also affect filament burn (and the maximum forward voltage rating of the diode).

Without a current-limiting resistors, the filament bulbs in the circuit would bring total current of all filament bulbs THROUGH the diodes of the LEDs, which would pass so much current it would burn out.

And then there's all sorts of other ratings to consider, like - Vrrrm, Vdc, Vf, If, Ifsm, Pd, Tj, Tstg, R(0)jl, Ir, Cj, Trr... most of which I didn't remember and had to look up.

I'm done rambling. I'm sure I got something up there misstated anyway.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:06:40 am by Stealth Connie »
97 Concours Stealth Connie - RIP
98 Concours Mean Green - RIP
98 Concours Black Stallion - Current bike

Offline Locomotiveman

• Scooter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:18:40 am »
Thank you very much. I saw a big Motorcoach with some non-OEM LED's and some filament lighting. He had a real cluster before it was over he told me. Locomotiveman