Author Topic: windscreen  (Read 586 times)

Offline alex9078

• Tricycle
  • Livin the Dream
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11853
  • Membership Level: Active
windscreen
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:20:13 pm »
I have a 2006 Concourse. I want to replace the existing windscreen which is scratched and not clear

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: windscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »
Check out CalSci windshields website. Just got one for my FJR and it's amazing how much difference it made in the buffeting and wind noise reduction.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 03:27:57 pm »
Best thing I ever did for my Concours is a madstad fully adjustable windshield (adjustable up/down and angle).  Smooth air.  If you want a bunch more air when it's hot, you can drop it down and have all the air you want.  If I were to do it over again, I would go with the tallest shield so that when cold weather comes, you have some extra to keep the cold off as much as possible.  It is pricey, but I've not even considered anything else since I got it.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline kkja13

• Moped
  • Tyler, TX
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »
I like the Rifle wind screen.  It comes with a black base that allows for semi-easy changing to different height clear screens.

https://rifle.com/Concours%20Windshield%20System-P983.aspx

2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 04:48:49 pm »
wow these are pricey.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
I switched to a Rifle system, and kept trimming it until I got it where I wanted.  No turbulence, good ventilation.  A lot depends on your height, arm length, (distance from the 'shield), helmet type, etc.  Everything interacts.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »
I, too, went with the Rifle system after my Givi screen got damaged a little beyond repair when I clipped my fence gate post several months back. I really, really liked their D74s screens, but they are no longer available. Sucks!

I bought a Targa from a semi-local member off this site….. an impulse buy. Unfortunately, it was also a mistake. I tried it for several local ~25 mile rides, but it sits waay too tall for me; I prefer to just peer over the top. Yes, I could trim it down, and may do that yet, but for now, we’ll use the Rifle.

And yes, the Rifle stuff is a little pricey, but it appears to be well made and fit with nary a hick-up. Given the C10s are now basically a relic and getting to the point it is hard to find any good stuff for it now, ya do what you have to do. Mine has 198,000 miles on it now, but still running good and strong. It will probably be my last bike, so we’ll keep it (and me) going for as long as we can. Hellava lot less expensive to just pay the piper for the little bits and pieces, rather than putting out the big bux for a new/used set of wheels.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:05:44 pm »
 RIFLE!!!  Tried others but finally went back to my Rifle! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:42:40 pm »
   Another Rifle fan here. I have a C. Baily on my 02 and a Rifle on my 06. Rifle wins hands down!

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:56:00 pm »
Wow. Must be one of the few on here. How do you keep it going w/o headaches? My last 2 cars hit 150K and the headaches started.

...Mine has 198,000 miles on it now, but still running good and strong. ...

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38:43 pm »
Wow. Must be one of the few on here. How do you keep it going w/o headaches? My last 2 cars hit 150K and the headaches started.

...Mine has 198,000 miles on it now, but still running good and strong. ...

I sold mine with 234k miles on it and got a pic later with the odo showing over a quarter million miles on it. That c-10 never left me standing on the side of the road and never had the head off. Some stuff wore out, driveshaft u-joint being about the most serious. Ironbuttal's c-10 is/was also well over 200. Paulie had 195k miles on it when a moose attacked it.

Paying attention to good maintenance protocols does pay dividends.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 08:40:06 pm »
I’ve mentioned it before…..  I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be riding. This imbalance crap apparently ain’t going away, and I am probably pushing the envelope just keeping my bikes out of the ditches. It just wouldn’t be worth it to go out and pick up something else, so I’ll fix the stuff that needs fixin’ since I have the where-with-all to be able to do that. The real “headache” comes when what you need is no longer available - anywhere. Have thought of the Spyder route, but it hasn’t gone much further than that.

I pick my battles. I was supposed to attend the NE Area Spring Fling up in Matamoras, PA this w/e but backed out because my loopiness has been hot and heavy these last couple of weeks. Just didn’t want to venture that far out. Made that mistake when I went to the National down in TN a few years ago. Was afraid to ride, so I sat. Fortunately, a local member that lived 5 miles down the road had trailered down, so I bummed a ride home with him at the end of the rally.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DSamudio

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 13020
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:54:47 pm »
For my 2003 I choose Madstad and have been very happy. I keep the screen at full height and I adjust he angle to look over or see through the screen.

Depending on the road, you may hear road noise, but the road noise does not compare to the wind noise I was dealing with.

Their customer service was great and very helpful and if I get the Spyder I want, I will get a Madstad screen.

Some people do not like how the edges of the Madstad glow when riding at night, but I personally think it looks cool.

DS
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:33:04 pm by DSamudio »

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 01:34:51 am »
I have a Clearview with the Goldwing vent. I can go from a blast in the chest right where my coat vents are to a still pocket by adjusting the vent. I am very happy with it. The Rifle blocks too much vision when you are short.
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike
1974 Honda CB550 K0

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:18 am »
Yeah Buddy!!  I love my madstad.  I can't imagine using any other shield on my C10.  I think if more folks actually rode a C10 equipped with one, that they would be more popular here.  It gets the windshield out of your face.  It is much quieter as the OP said as well as providing very smooth air.  All that and it's fully adjustable.  I think it also makes the C10 look a bit more modern too.  Good choice!  Enjoy! :great:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 06:57:39 pm »
I’ve mentioned it before…..  I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be riding. This imbalance crap apparently ain’t going away, and I am probably pushing the envelope just keeping my bikes out of the ditches. It just wouldn’t be worth it to go out and pick up something else, so I’ll fix the stuff that needs fixin’ since I have the where-with-all to be able to do that. The real “headache” comes when what you need is no longer available - anywhere. Have thought of the Spyder route, but it hasn’t gone much further than that.

I pick my battles. I was supposed to attend the NE Area Spring Fling up in Matamoras, PA this w/e but backed out because my loopiness has been hot and heavy these last couple of weeks. Just didn’t want to venture that far out. Made that mistake when I went to the National down in TN a few years ago. Was afraid to ride, so I sat. Fortunately, a local member that lived 5 miles down the road had trailered down, so I bummed a ride home with him at the end of the rally.
by chance have you ever tried smoking a little weed,I suffered from some vertigo/spacial orientation/dizzyness/nauseum after a minor stroke followed by carotid artery surgery and smoking pot daily was the only thing that totally eliminated it.As far as the windsheild if your a cheapskate just go to Homedepot or Ace hardware and for 20 bucks get a piece of .125 Lexan and cut your own.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:41 pm »
Madstad here. Love it! Got super lucky and scored it on ebay very reasonably. My strategy for such things is to setup a search with notifications and just be patient. Eventually even the rare items comes up for the right price.