Author Topic: Windshield removal?  (Read 375 times)

Offline Cjweaver13

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Windshield removal?
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:23 am »
This is going to sounds dumb, but how do you remove the windshield off the fairing on a C10? I removed all the phillips screws, and the screen wouldn't come off. Looked like maybe some adhesive or glued weatherstripping acting as a backer, but i didn't want to pry off without asking first if there were any hidden screws or rivets.

Also, a couple of the screws didn't even screw into anything. Are there movable metal anchors that sit inside the fairing that could have moved when I unscrewed the phillips?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Windshield removal?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:49:21 am »
Once the screws are out, it will come off.  It's just stuck from being there so long.  Just be gentle with it and you should be ok.  The screws go into what are called well nuts that expand behind the plastic.  You could think of them as blind nuts that helps.  https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Insert-wellnuts-Motorcycle-Windscreen/dp/B00VASWJQO

Offline Cjweaver13

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:46:58 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Greenie

• Scooter
  • COG#: 1019
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:15:47 am »
The older Concours ('86 for sure) had different "nuts" that did not expand as the newer ones do. The first generation went in from behind and can fall out during installation and removal. I taped mine in to make future work easier.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:58:51 am »
If I recall correctly (no guarantee of THAT :-[) the screws are sort of rubberized and can stretch if too tight. I bought some spares from Murph's kits because when they stretch, they didn't want to thread correctly. But I could be wrong. It's been a while since I changed the Rifle for the CeeBailey's, then I sold the bike.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing