Author Topic: Wiring harness / switch gear compatibility question  (Read 353 times)

Offline EmptyG

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10062
  • Membership Level: Active
Wiring harness / switch gear compatibility question
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »
So - as I'm swapping the motor in my 92 with one from an 02, I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade any components I touch during reassembly to the newer version (8k miles vs 60k miles)

I replaced the left side switch gear with the '02 pieces when I re-connected the throttle cables but, when attempting to start the new(er) engine for the first time, nothing happens.  I was able to start the bike by jumping the solenoid, and then started tracing connections.  Nothing worked until I plugged the 92 switch gear into the harness.  Instant fix.

Now - I'd rather use the 2002 pieces.  Is there an easy pin out swap on the harness for this?  or is it more involved?

I know there are main wiring harness/cluster differences that prevented me from swapping the main harness, I guess this ties in with that?

comments welcome!

Thanks
Mark
'92 C10
SE PA
COG#10062

Offline virtualdev

• Ride.all.year.
  • Street Cruiser
  • car broken, ride all winter
    • The Borked Universe
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Wiring harness / switch gear compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:44 pm »
Mark,

I believe the 94 and later switch assemblies use different pinouts though the same connectors.  I discovered this when I tried putting 97 switch assemblies on my 86 (a couple functions worked, but most didn't).  I've heard that you can carefully unpin all the connectors and put them back in the order you need, but I haven't tried this myself.

HTH,
--ben
Portland, OR - '86 Concours "Big Bertha" - '13 Vulcan 900 Custom - '72 Lido 14' - COG #10224 - CDA #0421 - C10 Repair log

Offline EmptyG

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10062
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Wiring harness / switch gear compatibility question
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:43 pm »
yeah - kind of what I figured - once everything else is sorted out and on the road, I'll revisit the pin-outs and see what needs to be swapped around.

thanks
Mark
'92 C10
SE PA
COG#10062