Author Topic: Wiring Ignition Coils on an '86  (Read 210 times)

Offline Martini

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Wiring Ignition Coils on an '86
« on: July 05, 2018, 04:18:39 pm »
I've been slowly working on rebuilding my '86 Concours and during one of the moves of the frame, the coils fell which snapped the wiring clean off from their crimp connectors. The coils look to be intact, but the wiring is frayed. Should I look at replacing the wiring entirely and if so, what kind of connectors are they and what gauge wiring should I use to do the job? The wiring harness is original with the bike and right now I have the motor out while it is being rebuilt so replacing wiring will be a lot easier to do now rather than later.

I can take some pictures if needed to show my situation. It looks like clean breaks right at the crimps that plugin to the coils themselves so I could re-strip the wires and put on new crimps, but don't want to put on strains to the wiring harness if it's better that I replace it.

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Wiring Ignition Coils on an '86
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 04:23:10 pm »
I would just strip off some insulation and crimp on some new connectors.
You should have enough slack to do this without building a new harness.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:09 pm »
I've been slowly working on rebuilding my '86 Concours and during one of the moves of the frame, the coils fell which snapped the wiring clean off from their crimp connectors. The coils look to be intact, but the wiring is frayed. Should I look at replacing the wiring entirely and if so, what kind of connectors are they and what gauge wiring should I use to do the job? The wiring harness is original with the bike and right now I have the motor out while it is being rebuilt so replacing wiring will be a lot easier to do now rather than later.

I can take some pictures if needed to show my situation. It looks like clean breaks right at the crimps that plugin to the coils themselves so I could re-strip the wires and put on new crimps, but don't want to put on strains to the wiring harness if it's better that I replace it.

IIRC those are just .250" Faston connectors you should be able to pick up and any auto parts store. Blue insulation (16-14 Ga) is probably what you'll find and is most common on the shelf. Red (22-18 Ga) would be better due to the bike's wire size, so get those if they have them.

If all they have is blue and you find that leaves too much free space in the terminal crimp area, fold over the stripped section of wire to double it up and better fill the void before crimping.

Good luck with it.

You should have enough slack wire in the harness to make a suitable connection.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Roger Dodger

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6017
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 04:58:19 pm »
Aaron,  I know I have the plug wires, and ALSO coils available from a fellow COGger.  LMK what else you may need, I may have it.

Thanks, Roger  612.250.9432
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:10:31 pm by Roger Dodger »